Author Topic: For anyone looking for steel pans....  (Read 2424 times)

Offline steel_baker

For anyone looking for steel pans....
« on: March 15, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
Here is a site I found to order some. These pans are 3-1/2" high:

http://www.instawares.com/steel-roast-pan.jr3762.0.7.htm#gallery

steel_baker
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline Saturday Coffee

Re: For anyone looking for steel pans....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »

Northern Pizza Equipment (dot com) has blue steel pans in the six to ten dollar range for rectangle pans.  

Does anyone know the big difference between the blue coating vs. the black coating?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
Northern Pizza Equipment (dot com) has blue steel pans in the six to ten dollar range for rectangle pans.  

Does anyone know the big difference between the blue coating vs. the black coating?

blue is a natural controlled rusting of the steel and black is coated. iirc
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
There is considerable difference between the two. A blued pan is a chemical and sometimes electrical wash or dip that inhibits rust on the surface and should be seasoned with oil in an oven until black. Same process as seasoning a wok or a cast iron skillet. Over time use will also season the surface and protect against rust if one dries it after use. One should never use harsh abrasive cleaners or scouring pads on either one. Black pans have a thin enamel (ceramic) coating that is baked at high temperature and requires nothing other than cleaning after baking. I have read that blued seasoned pans impart a flavor to the crust that enameled steel doesn't.
Don

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:28:38 AM »
You guys sound like you really know your steel pans, so I have a question I hope you can answer.

I ordered this pan at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VH70WM/?tag=pizzamaking-20

In the title it is says Blue Steel but in the description it reads "It is made of 1/16 thick, black steel".

I got it, washed it, dried it, put a thin layer of canola oil in it, and put it in a 350 oven for an hour. It looked great and seemed to be very non-stick.

I then made a Detroit Style pizza in it (reason for purchase). The pizza came out great and (literally) came out great...just the cheese on the edge stuck a little but was easy to pry off with a plastic spatula.

I gently washed it and dried it.

I read somewhere that to season it you should repeat the process 6 times, so I coated the pan with more canola oil and put it in the oven at 350 for an hour.

Disaster! The oil puddled in spots all over the interior and now I have some spots the way they should be and others that are sticky, and other spots that are still liquid.

Any help on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »
Put it in at 450 upside down, with a cookie sheet on the shelf under it to catch the dripping oil.  wipe off the wet(ter) spots and let it cool down naturally.  Stop washing it.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan