Author Topic: Newbies First Attempted Deep Dish Opinions Welcome!  (Read 1464 times)

Offline mo-zz

Newbies First Attempted Deep Dish Opinions Welcome!
« on: March 09, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »
I just made up my first batch of 4 deep dishes following the malnati semolina recipe, posting my final pics of the first one here! Will take some middle pics a little later when they're all out of the oven!

Opinions/Suggestions welcome!

Mozz

Edit: All pics are up, looks like they were a little short on the cheese? I'm a fan of topping overload!

Any tips for getting more flavour in the crust? And also to stop the crust rising so much?

I'd be happy to trade these magic forks for a proper oven :P

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:11:40 PM by mo-zz »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Newbies First Attempted Deep Dish Opinions Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:12:21 PM »
mozz,

Where can I get some of those magic forks? Haha !!  ;D   That pizza is a beauty,mozz....most excellent first attempt, congratulations! Look forward to the rest of the pics, thanks.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
Looks great!  although your crust looks a bit too thick, especially down in the bottom corner.  Next time see if you can pinch that in closer to the pan.   i'm not trying to criticize, just help you make an even better one next time!  :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
Yes, what CDN says...that area down in the bottom corner is notorious for getting too thick on you. Ya gotta really pinch it in there a lot tighter than your instincts tell you to ......was your cheese placed on top of your toppings?  Please tell how tall your pan is....thanks.   You are doing very well!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 05:09:18 AM »
Little tiny deep dish pizzas seems like it would be an amazing appetizer! Which restaurant will be the first to offer that alongside mozz sticks and nachos?

Oh and the pizza looks delicious!

Offline mo-zz

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31:00 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

The pan is a 10" (I'm waiting for my 14" to be delivered) and is about 4" tall with a removable bottom.

I put cheese at the bottom and then again on top of the fillings then covered all in sauce.

The bottom corner of the crust was too thick in every pizza even when I stretched it out really thin, maybe it springs back a little after I put it in? Any suggestions for making the dough less elastic?

Also any tips for getting the pizza to cook evenly? Is this related to the type of pan? I had to cover with foil to stop the top burning because the top always cooks too fast.

Thanks in advance!

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
The typical baking method is to preheat and oven for 30 minutes or more to 500 with a stone on the bottom rack. then launch the pizza and turn the oven down ~50 degrees. This helps to get the bottom hot and keep up with the top. Did you already do this?

Offline mo-zz

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »
I have not tried pre heating with a pizza stone. Just bought a stone today so I will try that out this weekend and post some new results! Thanks for all the suggestions! This forum is awesome!!

Offline Rich

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:57 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

The pan is a 10" (I'm waiting for my 14" to be delivered) and is about 4" tall with a removable bottom.

I put cheese at the bottom and then again on top of the fillings then covered all in sauce.

The bottom corner of the crust was too thick in every pizza even when I stretched it out really thin, maybe it springs back a little after I put it in? Any suggestions for making the dough less elastic?

Also any tips for getting the pizza to cook evenly? Is this related to the type of pan? I had to cover with foil to stop the top burning because the top always cooks too fast.

Thanks in advance!
Be careful with that 14" pan.  The larger pizzas have a higher moisture content which can make the middle of the pizza soggy if you aren't doing it right.  I'm pretty sure you want to get Tin Plated Steel pans for deep dish.  As I mentioned in another thread today, I'm going to Burt's next week and I'll try to ask Burt what he uses.

pizzapan