Author Topic: Getting Caputo Flour  (Read 3582 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
Getting Caputo Flour
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
I know many people (including myself) have had trouble finding a good way to obtain Caputo Blue Bag to experiment with, and thought I could possibly provide a solution.

I have a way to get the 55lb blue bag, but I can't use that much flour. I was thinking maybe some of us members could split the bag(s) and I could ship them the flour for cheaper than any online source.

I did some quick calculations and figured I could ship:
16 lbs- Medium Flat Rate Box/$11.35
25 lbs- Large Flat Rate Box/$15.45

I was thinking a far price would be $1.60 per pound + shipping, which is
$36.95 for 16 lbs shipped
$55.45 for 25 lbs shipped

I found the best online offers I could and then beat them by about 10%.

My source is good, but a very long drive and a lot of work, but I also want the flour for myself so it is worth it.

I would like to be able to get together a big group of orders if people are interested so we can all have easy access. Even if only one person is interested that is okay and we could just split a bag. If 20 people are interest, I have a big car for lots of bags and can make that work too.

Just reply if you would possibly be interested, and how much you would want. Thanks

Offline ere514

Re: Getting Caputo Flour
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »
I just bought some at my local Whole Foods in the serve yourself grain and flour aisle.  I don't know the color of the bag because it came from a bin but it was called Antimo Caputo 00 Pizzeria Farina Flour

Offline pizzaboyfan

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »
Hard to beat these guys...shipping is not free, but is reasonable

http://www.pennmac.com/page/27/pizza-baking-supplies

Caputo: Pizzaria Flour - 55 lb       $39.95

Caputo: Tipo '00' - 2.2 lb       $3.09

Caputo: Tipo '00' - 10 Pack       $28.95

Offline ere514

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
I paid $0.79/lb no shipping just gas money to my local Whole Foods.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »
I paid $0.79/lb no shipping just gas money to my local Whole Foods.

Where are you located?

John

Offline ere514

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
Fairfield, CT.  Price listed on the bin was $1.39/lb but rang-up on the register $0.79/lb

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:57:50 PM »
I know many people (including myself) have had trouble finding a good way to obtain Caputo Blue Bag to experiment with, and thought I could possibly provide a solution.

I have a way to get the 55lb blue bag, but I can't use that much flour. I was thinking maybe some of us members could split the bag(s) and I could ship them the flour for cheaper than any online source.

Remember that the 55# blue bag (pizzeria) is the exact same thing as the 1kg red bag (chef).

You might be surprised how much you can really use. It's a pain for me to get too, so I buy it 110# at a time and keep half in the freezer. Works great.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »
I have had good luck asking the local Neapolitan pizza place to sell me a bag. 

Scott D.

Offline Bill 001

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »
Remember that the 55# blue bag (pizzeria) is the exact same thing as the 1kg red bag (chef).

When we initially inquired with a distributor in the U.S., he told us that the Chef’s was the same as the Pizzeria flour. We talked to the importer, and he insisted that the distributor was incorrect, and that it was actually the Rinforzato. So we decided to contact Molino Caputo ourselves because we saw others making the claim that the Chef’s used to be the same as the Blue, but some time in 2009, they switched to using Rinforzato as the Chef’s, and the packaging also changed on the Chef’s a bit.

So the distributor may have just been relying on outdated information perhaps? Maybe there was a change at some point? Regardless, since the mill and the importer are in agreement that the Chef’s is Rinforzato, that's what we are telling you. http://brickovenbaker.com/2010/07/is-caputo-chefs-the-same-as-the-pizzeria-or-rinforzato/ 

The 1kg bag is NOT Pizzeria flour, so say both the manufacturer and the importer.  But it used to be.

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
Ya it was just a suggestion since I had a hard time using all 55# last time. If everyone else has a way to pick it up locally then by all means do that. I just didn't know if there were people out there ordering online, because I figured I could split it with them and ship it to them cheaper than any online site.

Offline Bill 001

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »
The 1kg bag is NOT Pizzeria flour, so say both the manufacturer and the importer.  But it used to be.

So, after further review...  I found a post in this forum by Fred Mortati The importer http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14175.0.html reply 12 saying that the 1 kg. red bag IS Pizzeria flour, not Rinforzato.  (Date of post June 8, 2011).  Over in the BrickOvenBaker forum is a post quoting someone at "the importer" stating that Chef's is Rinforzato http://brickovenbaker.com/2010/07/is-caputo-chefs-the-same-as-the-pizzeria-or-rinforzato/  Date of post July 18, 2010.  There is a followup post that states that Chef's, Pizzeria, and Rinforzato are all different.  Well, someone in this mess must be right, but I'm not smart enough to figure out who.

I just want to try some Rinforzato, but first I got to get some.