Author Topic: SAUCE, AGAIN  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

SAUCE, AGAIN
« on: August 30, 2005, 06:04:31 PM »
I have been making pizza for over 20 years. Thanks to this forum my dough is as good as it comes, now. I'm still looking for a decent sauce recipe. I've had little luck with my own tries.

Does someone out there have a really good sauce recipe they would be willing to share??

Thanks

Richard

Offline TimEggers

• Homemade pizza and home roasted coffee! YUM!
    • Pan Roasting Coffee
Re: SAUCE, AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 11:11:51 AM »
3 10 3/4-ounce can of tomato puree (I really like Hunt's)
3-tablespoons white sugar (I like pure cane sugar)
1-teaspoon salt
1-teaspoon ground oregano
1/2-teaspoon basil
1/2-teaspoon ground thyme
1/2-teaspoon garlic powder
3/4-cup water
3-teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1. Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes just over 26-ounces (a jar).

Here is the recipe that I have been using.  It's quite good but is best if you make the sauce, put it in a jar (I use and old cleaned out Bertolli spaghetti sauce jar) and put it in the refrigerator for a day or two.  It can be used anytime though but I find the flavor gets better after a day or so in the fridge so make plenty up and keep it!  It'll be at it's best later towards the end of the jar!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 11:13:33 AM by TimEggers »

Offline Steeb

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 11:27:13 AM »
Does tomato paste work, or does it have to be puree? In my local store, the only brand of puree is Progresso. The others have tomato paste and tomato sauce, but no puree...

Offline GioTurano

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 12:27:40 PM »
Does tomato paste work, or does it have to be puree? In my local store, the only brand of puree is Progresso. The others have tomato paste and tomato sauce, but no puree...

I started by making a traditional "sauce" for my pizza (you know; paste, puree, garlic, onions, the whole schmear), but after reading Jeff Varasano's site I tried his method and I'm never looking back.

You'll need a can of whole, peeled plum tomatoes.  (I prefer Cento out of the three or four varieties available in my area.)  Separate the tomatoes from their puree, then rinse the tomatoes IN the puree to remove the seeds.  Strain the seeds out of the puree, discared them, then recombine the now-seedless puree with the tomatoes. 

Crush the tomatoes (along with the puree) with a hand mixer, then season to taste using your preference of basil, oregano, salt, garlic, whatever.  Jeff says he sometimes uses a bit of romano in there to cut some of the bitterness, but I prefer it without. 

And that's basically it.  Don't cook it before it goes on the skin; it'll cook in the oven, and the result will be the most flavorful, vibrant sauce you've ever had on a pizza.  Previously, I was cooking the hell out of my sauce and it was way too heavy, almost cloying; this way it's nearly perfect, every time.

One can usually makes enough for about four 14" pies.

Offline TimEggers

• Pan Roasting Coffee
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 12:50:49 PM »

Paste will probably be too thick.  You could try to incorporate more water to thin the paste out to a puree like texture however I have not tried it and don't know what it would do to the flavor.

Just try the Progresso brand.  I have not tried that brand and I have used the cheap generic puree and the sauce was still good.  It's just a personal preference thing, for now experiment and enjoy yourself!

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 02:22:07 PM »
I've experimented with a lot of sauce recipes. I prefer an uncooked sauce for pizza. For deep dish I use a ground tomato base (although hand-crushed whole peeled tomatoes minus the juice works very well), just because it's a little pulpier than crushed tomatoes and I like that. If you like a smoother consistency, use crushed or pureed. Good brands are 6-in-1, S&W, Progresso, Muir Glen, Hunts, and I find the Jewel store brand (owned by the Albertson's chain) to be very good. The problem I find is the bitterness level and GioTurano has the right idea to remove the seeds for this reason (lot of work, though). I just add varying degrees of sugar to cut the acid, depending on the brand.

For thin crust, I like tomato sauce with the usual spices, etc. added.

Offline TimEggers

• Pan Roasting Coffee
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 02:26:01 AM »
Omit the lemon juice and try it.  I like it much better that way!  Good Luck!