Author Topic: my mystery sauce Oh noooooo  (Read 1677 times)

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
my mystery sauce Oh noooooo
« on: September 10, 2005, 07:38:07 PM »
Like everyone here I have experimenteed with sauce about a million times. Today I picked up some Polly-o at Whole Foods and my pepperoni pie was probably the best tasting pizza I have made. Only one problem....When I was making my sauce, I was just throwing unmeasured amounts of the ingrediants I use in. Now my kids and wife want me to make it exactly that way every time.  I am such a knucklehead!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(Here's what I used..Stanislaus New york Pizza sauce, granulated garlic, salt, pepper, red chile flakes, sugar, oregano, olive oil, a little bottled water

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: my mystery sauce Oh noooooo
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 03:01:17 AM »
Why do those GREAT recipes seem happen, when we're working from intuition or just in a hurry...or IS this the reason WHY they happen in the first place????

If it's any consultation, I'm currently working on a recipe right now (non-pizza related) luckily without too many variables, but am stuck in this process right now. Kinda frustrating, but I've nearly nailed it.

This is what I do. I pick my brain to discover what I DO know.

Example: It sounds like you already know that you didn't use much water. was it a quick splash, a slight pour???

Did you meaure out the sauce or just dump the ingredients into the whole can? If you prepared the sauce in a different container. Use that container to guide you. Was it half, close to half? nearly full???

I would begin with whole measures of each dry ingredient.
Either by tsp Tablespoon or whatever you think looks/sounds right.

If you're positive you used less of one ingredient, go ahead and half-it on the first re-engineered batch.
Did you add more of the garlic because you like garlic???
Less oregano, because you found it overpowering last time?
Keep the questions comming, your special touches were in that sauce.
Note what you taste, make adjustments of 1/4 to 1/2 measure with each batch.

Regarding the water, eye-ball this ingredient too and note what you see.. too thick, too thin, dose it stir/spread as easily,  too easy, ect..

I found when I work this process I learn more about my preferences along the way, and develop a sense for what is too much of an ingredient for you and your families tastes.

If you eye-balled the amount, which I do often. Pay attention to what the amount looks like when you add it to the sauce before stirring it in.

Luckily, there are only a few ingredients so you wont be working until infinnity.

Maybe someone has come-up with a process alittle less time consumming?

Good Luck Scampi!

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 01:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply Lydia. I have a pretty good idea but it seems the more I do this, the more I eyeball stuff when I add ingrediants. I need to pay more attention I guess. By the way, yesterday i used the polly-o mozzarella based on positive input from this board and it was fantastic. I want to thank everyone for that.  :) The only bad part was the price. I paid $6.89 for the 1 pound ball at Whole Foods. That's a lot more than what I had paid for Grande. If anyone knows where I can buy Polly-o in Southern California for a better price, please reply. Thanks!!!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 02:14:44 PM »
I've learned to bake like Great-Grandma, I might dump everything together by eye, but I've carefully translated those into household measure. I usually have a "core" recipe and jot down changes so I can recover. Learned the painful way, many, many times. But for now, I have the best of both worlds.

I'm in Central California.
I haven't seen polly-o at the wholesaler's I purchase from, but I will keep an eye out for it. Ouch! that's pricey!
I'm looking for a good stringing Mozz. cheese that I can pick up easily while shopping. I didn't like the taste of bufala mozz. and haven't seen the whole milk mozz. except at Trader Joe's.

I'm spoiled to purchasing bulk, so I just "deal" with the other cheeses.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.