Author Topic: My attempt at Mozzarella From Scratch  (Read 3426 times)

Offline A-Neibs

My attempt at Mozzarella From Scratch
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Today I made some mozzarella cheese from scratch. I have tried doing this a few times in the past and my results have been ok, but it never seemed to come together as well as I thought it should. Since then, I have bought curd a few times and worked on stretching it and making mozzarella that way. I have had good results, so I wanted to try it from scratch again. I am very pleased with today's results. It came together great. I am by no means a cheese expert, but I have learned a lot and I'm improving.

I bought some raw milk from a farm here in Arizona. I usually make pizzas on Sunday night and I wouldn't have had time tomorrow to make the cheese during the day. So it will have to sit overnight and I'll use it tomorrow. I will post pictures of the pizzas with the mozzarella when I make them. I'm excited to try it on the pizza!

Offline A-Neibs

Re: My attempt at Mozzarella From Scratch
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
Here's the curd going into the cheesecloth and then after it had come together and was ready to be stretched.

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
The Finished Product  :chef:

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:53:21 AM »
A-Neibs

I am contemplating making mozz and was actually researching it last night. Seems as though most people around the forum who have attempted it have decided that curds are the way to go. Now that you have done both ways, which will you continue to do as your "go to" method. It seems that the milk is a major concern when making mozz, and very few people are able to get the raw milk that you were able to get. Do you feel that the "raw" milk is the deal maker? Was it cost effective to buy raw milk vs. buying curds? Inquirering minds want to know!
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
Those are all great questions. I will definitely stick with just buying the curds, but I do think it's worth a try to make the mozzarella from scratch. It's a great learning experience. There is something about taking milk and making that into fresh, beautiful mozzarella that is exhilerating. I have always had better results with raw milk, but like you said, it is hard to find. It's a 15 mile drive for me just to get there and the raw milk costs $10 a gallon. That seems a little ridiculous to me, but people come. I've seen people get good results with pasteurized milk on youtube. I think it really depends on the freshness of the milk. The fresher, the better. I got a little over a pound of mozzarella from the gallon of milk. You can buy the curd and make it, and at least in my case, it's much cheaper. But now I can say that I've done it from scratch. If you wanted to try it, I would just tell you to find the freshest milk possible.

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 10:42:25 PM »
Here are the results on Pizza! The mozzarella was delicious. I think it could've used a little more salt, but I didn't really know how much to add when stretching. The mozzarella was super creamy and melted beautifully. Glad it worked!!

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »
More Pics

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
A-Neibs

Good lookin pies, you've got my attention. I was searching for places to buy mozzarella curds and Amazon will alert me when they become available. I'm gonna give it a try with the curds first, if I have success I may try with milk.  :-\

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »
Thanks for the comment! I'm glad to hear that you want to try it. It really is a fun thing to try. I agree to start with the curds. It's easier to get a feel for it that way. This website sells cheese curds. The shipping is really expensive out here to Arizona, but it might not be so bad for you.

http://www.pennmac.com/items/3469//mozzarella-curd

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:21 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if this video is posted somewhere else on the forum, but for anyone thinking of trying to make their own mozzarella from curds, this is an outstanding video  

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
A-Neibs

Thanks for the heads up on Penn Mac. Their shipping and prices overall are pretty high, I'm gonna wait on Amazon, they sell Polly-O curds and their shipping is more reasonable. I'll let you know how I make out when they become available.

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
Oh man I am jealous. Raw milk is illegal here in Maryland.... Marylandastan

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
A-Neibs:

Making the mozzarella from curd is terrific, and I try to make it every couple of weeks for company. Many people who try it at our home then become interested in buying curd and trying it themselves.

With regard to Polly-O Curd from Amazon, just an fyi that I am also on the "notify when available" list and have been for about two years-----I check back now and again to make sure it is still unavailable. As a result, you might want to consider alternative sources. I am very fortunate that a local Italian deli will sell me curd by the pound, otherwise I would need to rely upon PennMac, which, when taking into account shipping, is very expensive.

Jim

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
I've made this recipe a few times with plain old shop bought full fat milk, its simple and worth a try.
http://www.cheesemaking.com/includes/modules/jWallace/ChsPgs/1Mozz/Index.html
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline garymcg

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 02:21:04 PM »
A-Neibs

I am contemplating making mozz and was actually researching it last night. Seems as though most people around the forum who have attempted it have decided that curds are the way to go. Now that you have done both ways, which will you continue to do as your "go to" method. It seems that the milk is a major concern when making mozz, and very few people are able to get the raw milk that you were able to get. Do you feel that the "raw" milk is the deal maker? Was it cost effective to buy raw milk vs. buying curds? Inquirering minds want to know!

You don't necessarily have to use raw milk, just not ultrapasteurized.  Just about any Whole Foods will carry a local dairy's "natural" milk which is pasteurized at lower temp and most importantly NOT homogenized.  For example,  the Whole Foods in Ann Arbor MI carries Calder Dairy "natural" milk which is not homogenized and makes a TREMENDOUS mozzarella.  

Offline joshuafinancial

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 05:36:51 AM »
http://www.dairyconnection.com/default.jsp
folks here are available by phone and give technical advice to hobbyists
the way the curds are produced will have a big impact on your mozz flavor
they say use rennet and a culture, that  curd produced with acid alone wont taste like top shelf mozz
so if you do buy curd, try to find out how its made
you can ask them about milk impact also and get very detailed answers
nice people

pizzapan