Author Topic: No gluten pizzas recipes wanted  (Read 2050 times)

piroshok

No gluten pizzas recipes wanted
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:06:31 AM »
Is there any possibility of creating a gluten free pizza?
I know that it is not going to be the same though some people are reluctant to eat high protein pizzas for a number of reasons of course celiac is one and the extreme but there are others that do not fit into that category some  find it hard to digest and even some doctors recommend not feeding gluten to kids as they believe to be a link between gluten and the onset of early autism. Very difficult argument to sustain given the fact that autism is a broad spectrum condition where lost of behavioural changes and almost there are not two kids alike.However mothers listen to argument and they decide what's best for their kids even if it is wrong sometimes.
Thanks

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
Re: No gluten pizzas recipes wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »
G'day Piroshok, can't eloborate on a recipe at the moment, but I have certainly seen the Gluten-free pizza flour sold in most every healthfood store I've been into. They probably have a packet recipe no doubt (the prospect sounds pretty off to me). This is indeed an interesting juxtaposition from our recent discussions on hi-gluten flours. I know such a pizza has a place, especially for the gluten intolerant (poor bastards), but it so counter to what's needed for a tasty, chewy crust it that it makes me shudder. Good luck with it though. Have you tried the PMQ forum and asked some guys in the business? There is an article on the Aust. PMQ site about a guy who makes it in his shop : http://www.pmq.com.au/mag/2005july/glutenfree.html.
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

piroshok

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 12:50:37 AM »
Thanks mate for the well wishes plans are in an advanced stage and will participate in a food exhibition soon.
As far as celiac for one is not a terminal disease nor a threatening one in most instances however could be very alarming in regard to autism the condition is permanent intellectual disability and includes disfuctional physical disabilities as well some are severe the problem is that the condition is not usually diagnosed until the child is about three to four years old so lactant and toddler's mothers when it comes to feeding their sons daughters are very sensitive and challenging area for peadiatricians and nutritionists.
Somehow we fit into the picture too :P   

When it comes to business I always have an ear for the CUSTOMER. The customer rules even when he/she may be wrong golden rule #1.  ;D

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 02:32:30 AM »
Thanks mate for the well wishes plans are in an advanced stage and will participate in a food exhibition soon.
As far as celiac for one is not a terminal disease nor a threatening one in most instances however could be very alarming in regard to autism the condition is permanent intellectual disability and includes disfuctional physical disabilities as well some are severe the problem is that the condition is not usually diagnosed until the child is about three to four years old so lactant and toddler's mothers when it comes to feeding their sons daughters are very sensitive and challenging area for peadiatricians and nutritionists.
Somehow we fit into the picture too :P   

When it comes to business I always have an ear for the CUSTOMER. The customer rules even when he/she may be wrong golden rule #1.  ;D

I hear what you're saying about the potential market for paranoid mothers, but that may well end up being a fad unless the medical community back up their claims. I certainly haven't seen any media on it and I'm across a heck of lot of current affairs and news in my day to day. To be honest I think there is a small but legitimate market, as the guy in the PMQ article states, for adults with gluten intolerance or allergy. I guy I work with can't eat normal bread or flour based products for this reason. Catering to people with the need for a gluten-free pizza can only be a good thing in my book and a feather in one's pizzamaking cap.

Anyway, sounds like you have some interesting projects going on, especially participating in a food expo.
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 03:46:11 PM »
In the pizza industry Rice flour is used to counteract the dryness of the dough and reduce sogginess. The recommended usage level is three to eight percent, flour weight basis.

The biggest issue for a GF dough is they lack enough structure. Great for shortbread, BAD for pizza. In the GF circles Betty Hagman's Crumpet Recipe has slowly evolved into a decent GF pizza and it posted in serveral places. Many rave about the version posted to Bob's red mill site http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/detail.php?rid=387, but the one posted at the following link appeals to me the most. It includes potato flour and it has all the esstial ingredients from a popular GF pizza mix. As bonus it also has a picture and some sauce recipes.

http://www.livingwithout.com/special_pizza.htm Also a Betty Hagman Recipe
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/main/pizza/glutenfreepizza.html The following link has the version printed in Award Winning Gluten free Recipes and Menus by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.

As you can see vinegar wasn't part of the orignal recipe. I can only assume that the dough was found a bit tough (which I would assume makes more of an authentic pizza texture) and it was added for tenderization.

PIZZA DOUGH: (adapted from Betty Hagmans Crumpet receipe)

1     C. Rice Flour               
1 C. Water
1/3 C. Potato Starch Flour     
1 Egg
1/6 C. Tapioca Flour           
3 Tab. Butter (or shortening)
1 1/2 Teasp. Baking Powder
1     Teasp. Xanthan Gum
1/2 Teasp. Salt
1 1/2 Tab. Sugar (adjust to taste)
1 Tab. Yeast

-Mix in electric mixer and spread on a greased cookie sheet. Let
     raise about 15 minutes.

-Bake in 400 degree F. oven for 10 minutes or untill the crust
     starts to show cracks in the middle.
        -Brush with olive oil.
        -Add toppings.
        -bake another 15 20 minutes or untill the cheese is golden brown
     or to you tasting.

Variation
Basil-Garlic Pizza Dough: Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 2 teaspoons dried) and 2 cloves minced garlic after the honey.

This stuff is even good warmed up the
    next day.

MY PIZZA SAUCE
        2 6-oz. cans of Tomato Paste    2 Tab. Basil
        5 c. tomato's                   1 tsp. pepper
        4 Teasp. Oregano
(original receipe calls for 5 tab. butter but I don't feel it necessaty)
        -Simmer on low about 1/2 an hour or if you tomatoes are a bit
    runny untill it thickens.

Well, if anything maybe the info above will be a good place to start experimenting  :chef:

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.