Author Topic: Dough Docking and Corn Meal????  (Read 2144 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Dough Docking and Corn Meal????
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »
I have switch to thin crust pizza and I am using a pizza screen for my thin crust pizza.  Today, i was in a Pizzeria today that served a thick crust pizza that was made in a pan.  Instead of coating the pizza pan with oil or lard, he just sprinkled the pan with Corn Meal before putting the dough into the pan. However, He did DOCK the dough in the pan before adding his sauce, cheese, etc.... I do not dough dock anymore, but somehow this seemed to make sense when cooking a thick crust deep dish pizza. 

My question is this: Does everyone do this method when making a deep dish pizza in a pizza pan???? I have always dough docked for THICK crust in a pan. Is this the NORM?????????? His comment to me, was that it is necessary to do this each time or your crust will bubble up.

Also, does anyone else use corn meal on the bottom of their pan for thick crust pizza?  Anyone else have any thoughts on these two methods??? Thank you.

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough Docking and Corn Meal????
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:30:28 AM »
I was at a Pizzeria today and they slightly docked the dough even for a thin crust pizza. Any comments??? Anyone???
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:32:26 AM by TomN »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:33:17 AM »
cold and underproofed dough likes being docked. otherwise, it's like adding dish soap to a sink before you add water. bubblepalooza
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:49:52 AM »
My kitchen is under repair so i can't make pizza for about 2 weeks. However, I might make some over a good friends house. So, i went to a pizzeria in the neighborhood that i have passed by many times. They take the dough and press it down on both sides in a large bucket of Corn Meal. Then it is pressed out using a Dough Docker. Then put the dough onto a pizza screen and it is put through a conveyor belt type oven. I can tell they use MONDAKO flour and Extra Heavy Pizza sauce that has been watered down for dollar stretching. And a medium quality cheese.

MY POINT: I did NOT like the pizza (neither did my family members)  After this experience,  i will continue to make own pizza by pressing them out by hand. Never use a dough docker. Also, I did not like the corn meal either. A big disappointment for me. Perhaps i am spoiled on my own pizza that has the best ingredients, but life is too short to eat crappy Pizza.  (The price was $12 for a large two topping pizza)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:06:10 AM by TomN »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
My kitchen is under repair so i can't make pizza for about 3 to 4 weeks. However, I might make some over a good friends house. So, i went to a pizzeria in the neighborhood that i have passed by many times. They take the dough and press it down on both sides in a large bucket of Corn Meal. Then it is pressed out using a Dough Docker. Then put the dough onto a pizza screen and it is put through a conveyor belt type oven. I can tell they use MONDAKO flour and Extra Heavy Pizza sauce that has been watered down for dollar stretching. And a medium quality cheese.

MY POINT: I did NOT like the pizza (neither did my family members)  After this experience,  i will continue to make own pizza by pressing them out by hand. Never use a dough docker. Also, I did not like the corn meal either. A big disappointment for me. Perhaps i am spoiled on my own pizza that has the best ingredients, but life is too short to eat crappy Pizza.  (The price was $12 for a large two topping pizza)

i believe you mean dough sheeter? if you press out dough with a docker you will ruin it
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:38:41 PM »
No , I really mean dough docker !!!! They do not have a sheeter. Their dough must really be the highest gluten to stretch and shape so easily. BTW, this pizzeria is not located in the best of neighborhoods either.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:42:08 PM by TomN »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »
No , I really mean dough docker !!!! They do not have a sheeter. Their dough must really be the highest gluten to stretch and shape so easily. BTW, this pizzeria is not located in the best of neighborhoods either.

How is that even possible?

A docker like this?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »
Their dough must really be the highest gluten to stretch and shape so easily.

You can make a beautiful dough that opens and handles like a dream with AP levels of protein.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »
They use a very high gluten dough that is easy to stretch out. (wish this server let video be posted, I would take it for you)

I should add that I do not think the dough itself was bad. They do use Pendleton MONDAKO flour. However, they add so much Corn Meal with cheap sauce and glue like cheese that I just could not stomach it. I was surprised to see them use a docker to stretch the dough out. That is all i am saying.

Finally, they seem to be putting out a lot of Pizza's, so some people really like it. Just not me.

(Do not confuse my comments with dough photo above. That particular pizzeria makes a fantastic pizza. My comments are for the second Pizzeria that I visited)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:05:29 AM by TomN »