Author Topic: Pizza Night!  (Read 22650 times)

Offline PizzaJerk

Re: Pizza Night!
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »
Very impressive consistency in the pies both individually and as a whole.

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline landras

« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »
Super good looking pizzas! thanks for sharing
nico

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2013, 11:14:40 PM »
Thank you guys!
Cheers,
Bill

Offline Gags

« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
One of the most beautiful pics on the forum. Bravo Bill.

John

+10!!!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2014, 01:02:35 PM »
I've been experimenting with higher hydration doughs lately under Omid's encouragement.  I'm trying 65% and initially plugging it into my normal process.  it definitely accelerates the fermentation and is a little more challenging to open and bake.  It takes a lot longer to reach a point of pasta in my mixer.  The result seems better in final texture.  I still have a ways to go to find the sweet spot here but I think i'll go in that direction for a while.  I'll be trying shorter fermentation and lower starter %.  here are a couple of shots of the dough from mixer to balls.  the last one is a box of 50g murzilli balls.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
We baked some pizzas from this batch but had some problems since it was raining.  that increased the level of difficulty further but stayed with the higher hydration theme!

we baked 50 murzilli and took them to the field the next day to feed The Hunt.  we stuffed them with chuck blade, rubbed with red curry and cooked sous vide for 20 hours at 137 and browned on a grill along with a bunch of sautéed onions, carrots, fennel, red curry, ginger, peanuts, coconut milk etc.  not a traditional murzillo but a dang good one. 
bill

Offline fagilia

« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2014, 04:30:37 AM »
Hi.
Nice pictures overall. First time i saw this thread and nice reading.
i have a question for you.
in the picture hydration 4. Is the bulk dough fermented here. I ask since after my 65 percent initial fermentation the bulk dough has flattened out a great deal like a pancake. But yours have not?
do you suport the sides in some way? Or does it hold togeather that good?
thank you

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2014, 10:05:43 AM »
Thanks Fagilia,
that photo is after bulk fermentation in a 6l. cambro container - just dumped out on the counter.  First shot is right out of the mixer, second is after a couple of slap and folds, ready to go into the container.  I bulked at 63f. for 24 hr.  The dough at that point has a lot of air in it but is pretty strong. 
bill

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »
Beautiful pies Bill. What is your bake time on these pies?

Offline fagilia

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2014, 11:17:19 AM »
Thank you.
i will try that out. Normally i keep it wrapped in plastic on the counter but it flattens out completely.
will see the results soon.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
Thanks Bert,  bake time was probably about 70 sec.  Those murzilli only take about 25 sec.  They are facinating to watch as they blow up like a balloon. 
good luck Fagilia! 
bill
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:49:00 PM by wheelman »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »
still working on higher hydration.  this time I backed it off a little to 63% and also backed the starter off to 1.8% because of the changing weather.  I still have a super fermented dough that is pretty difficult to work with on the oven floor.  the doughs only need a little flattening to open themselves.  I obviously have some room to decrease the starter further here.  these were 24+10 at 63 and 72f. 
bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »
baked these up 2 at a time for a nice family pizza night..

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2014, 03:26:10 PM »
Very nice Bill. One thing I'd like to point out is the way that everything works in unison visually. The leoparding is not so pronounced as to overtake the impact of the other features of the pizza.

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
I like everything about the process and final product. I agree with Anthony's comment. That's very much what I want my crust to look like.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »
thanks Anthony and Craig.  I appreciate your input.  if I stick it out, i'll have to develop my skills a little further to have the confidence I'm used to with a stronger dough.  I think it's probably worth it though. 
Bill

Offline landras

« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »
those pizzas look super nice, I love it. I wish I could repeat that day after day!
nico

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2014, 11:33:10 PM »
Thanks Nico!

Offline valhalla

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
Beautiful work Bill.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »
thanks Valhala, I hope it warms up soon for you like it has here in Bama for us.  finally turning the corner towards spring here. 

I've been practicing up for a big pizza party this Tuesday with a bunch of guys who really know food. 
I'm sticking with the 63% dough.  I'm getting used to it now and really like the flavor and texture.  our WF finally got some buffalo Mozz this week and I got a couple of balls.  It just came in the day before.  the Tre Stelle isn't my favorite but it's really good and welcome after all winter not being able to buy any.  been tweaking some combos and played around with Everlast's crowd pleaser and its whipped cream base.  I think that one may make the list!  I got some pics last night, I hope someone takes more on Tuesday.  will post back if they do.
bill

Offline scupbucket

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
Gorgeous pies AND pictures!!!  :drool:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »
Bill,

Your pizzas all look gorgeous!  :chef:

Norma

Offline TomN

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
This is a FANTASTIC thread to read. Also, I really appreciate all the photos. They help a lot. ;D

TomN

Offline TomN

« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
thanks Valhala, I hope it warms up soon for you like it has here in Bama for us.  finally turning the corner towards spring here. 

I've been practicing up for a big pizza party this Tuesday with a bunch of guys who really know food. 
I'm sticking with the 63% dough.  I'm getting used to it now and really like the flavor and texture.  our WF finally got some buffalo Mozz this week and I got a couple of balls.  It just came in the day before.  the Tre Stelle isn't my favorite but it's really good and welcome after all winter not being able to buy any.  been tweaking some combos and played around with Everlast's crowd pleaser and its whipped cream base.  I think that one may make the list!  I got some pics last night, I hope someone takes more on Tuesday.  will post back if they do.
bill

Bill,

I am curious to know what is your favorite cheese and can you post a photo of the package?  Thanks again.

TomN

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
thanks scupbucket, Norma and Tom.  My favorite buff mozz is garofalo of the ones I've tried.  it seems to be heavily dependent on freshness though.  I don't think it lasts long.  here's a terrible photo of the package....
bill