Author Topic: Pizza Night!  (Read 13950 times)

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza Night!
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2013, 09:13:52 AM »
I don't know, man. The dishwasher, while he seemed to be working hard in that second to last picture, seems to be of the underpaid type. I mean you had some pricey ingredients and toppings but went discount on the kitchen staff! :o

Just kidding!!  ;D

I haven't seen a collection of pies in one thread and in just a day's worth like this. I am waaayyyy jealous!! ...and hungry.  :drool:

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2013, 10:01:37 AM »
Thanks Norma!
Barry, the lemons are just normal ones cut super thin on a mandolin.  I tried meyer lemons and it didn't work well at all.
Fidel, don't say that!  :-D the Corgi thinks scraps are top pay! I have to hide omid's pictures when she's in the room.   
Bill

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:43 AM »
Bill,

I love the opening to your oven! Very inviting!

I love the look of your pies. Lots of attention to detail --- something that seems beguiling to me! I especially like the "DaMichele -style" ear of dough hanging off the peel in the pre-bake fresh tomato picture.

I am sorry that I will not get a chance to meet you and others at the pizza summit! I have much to learn! But the pictures  are definitely  helpful and inspiring.

John K

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »
thanks John!  we'll miss you. 
cheers,
bill

Offline dhorst

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2013, 02:47:26 PM »

Works of art there!

Beautiful. Did you like the zucchini pie? I've been thinking about one for next weekend.

I love zucchini on pizza; this is one I made a few years ago--I grilled the zucchini ahead of time, because my slices were thick.  I also used some Za'atar on them for seasoning.
Fusion Pizza: Germany, Lebanon and Italy Meet Over Pizza
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »
thanks Diana! your fusion pie makes me hungry.
bill

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
Are you heading West this weekend?

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
made a few pies and some bread yesterday.  last week our WF went from having no Buffala Mozz to having 2 different kinds - Tre Stelle and Garafolo, so I tried both.  they were both 10 days or so away from sell-by so it was a good comparison.  The Tre Stelle was super wet and tasted a little like cottage cheese.  it melted nicely after I drained it well.  the Garafolo is still my favorite.  I thought I had some radishes to try on the fennel sausage pie but they were gone. i took a few pics....
bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
Very nice looking pies and bread Bill.  Do you prefer buffala over fior di latte on your margheritas?

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2013, 10:09:43 AM »
thanks Chau!  I do like the bufala best if it's in good shape. 
bill

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
made a few pies and some bread yesterday.  last week our WF went from having no Buffala Mozz to having 2 different kinds - Tre Stelle and Garafolo, so I tried both.  they were both 10 days or so away from sell-by so it was a good comparison.  The Tre Stelle was super wet and tasted a little like cottage cheese.  it melted nicely after I drained it well.  the Garafolo is still my favorite.  I thought I had some radishes to try on the fennel sausage pie but they were gone. i took a few pics....
bill

Dear Bill, my sister is moving to Opelika, Alabama soon. I do not know how far Opelika is from your place, but that might give me an excuse to visit you whenever I visit her. Perhaps we can bake some pizzas together. :chef:  I enjoyed the pictures of your pizzas and breads. Thank you!

Omid 
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
Bill,

Your pizzas and breads look delicious!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2013, 12:03:51 AM »
Thanks Omid and Norma!  Omid, opeliika is a heck of a lot closer than San Diego!  It would be a great pleasure to bake with you and have you here for pizza night.
Bill

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »
bill

Bill,

Care to give any details on those delicious-looking breads? They are beautiful in appearance and I'm sure they were just as impressive from a taste and structure standpoint. Crumb shots?

Thanks!

John K

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
thanks John,
with some inspiration from Bill and Chau, I've worked on simplifying my bread baking method after starting out with Tartine.  that was always completely by hand with numerous operations over several hours that yielded great loafs but took almost a whole day to do.  My goal was to make the same bread with much less time in the kitchen, all at room temp without the proofing chamber.  here's what I've been doing lately with consistent results:
pre ferment - 200 g. water, 100g. KAAP, 100g. KAWW, 16g. ischia starter (very active).  stir all that together and let it sit overnight.
dough - 1300g. water, 400g. pre-ferment, mix to froth in bowl of SP-5 mixer, add 200g. KAWW, 1800g. KABF, mix until incorporated, wait 30 min, add 40g fine sea salt, mix to 82f. (about 5 min in my SP5), bench rest, do 1 stretch and fold, rest at RT for 1-1/2 hours, another stretch and fold, another 1-1/2 hours, and then I follow the tartine method, separating the dough into 4 balls, resting then balling and into baskets for 3 hours or so.  I bake in WFO if I have the time to get it to 450 when I need it or in combo cooker like tartine for 20 with top on, 20 with top off with fan on.  these were cooked inside. 
my version of lazy bread! 
bill

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »
thanks John,
with some inspiration from Bill and Chau, I've worked on simplifying my bread baking method after starting out with Tartine.  that was always completely by hand with numerous operations over several hours that yielded great loafs but took almost a whole day to do.  My goal was to make the same bread with much less time in the kitchen, all at room temp without the proofing chamber.  here's what I've been doing lately with consistent results:
pre ferment - 200 g. water, 100g. KAAP, 100g. KAWW, 16g. ischia starter (very active).  stir all that together and let it sit overnight.
dough - 1300g. water, 400g. pre-ferment, mix to froth in bowl of SP-5 mixer, add 200g. KAWW, 1800g. KABF, mix until incorporated, wait 30 min, add 40g fine sea salt, mix to 82f. (about 5 min in my SP5), bench rest, do 1 stretch and fold, rest at RT for 1-1/2 hours, another stretch and fold, another 1-1/2 hours, and then I follow the tartine method, separating the dough into 4 balls, resting then balling and into baskets for 3 hours or so.  I bake in WFO if I have the time to get it to 450 when I need it or in combo cooker like tartine for 20 with top on, 20 with top off with fan on.  these were cooked inside. 
my version of lazy bread! 
bill

Bill,

Great crumb structure, crust and artisanal appearance from the basket rise. I've been meaning to purchase some baskets and a real couche, but then I get to thinking....OK how much bread do I want to   should I be eating!! :-D

Seriously, your workflow seems very straightforward and if my results can come even close to yours I will consider it a complete success!

John K

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
John,
i always felt like the combo cooker was cheating, but now that i'm looking for easy bread i guess i'm okay with it.  i still like the flavor better when baking in the WFO but it considerably raises the complexity.  this method is super easy compared to what i've been doing for a couple of years and the result is just as good.  I usually cut the loaves in half and freeze them and 4 loaves will last us weeks.  if i do it on a pizza dough day it's almost no extra time. 
bill

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
Beautiful pies Bill. Love the ear on that front-left loaf.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
Gorgeous evening in Alabama...

I'm jealous

Scot

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »
Thanks Craig and Scot. Much appreciated.