Author Topic: Pizza Night!  (Read 16692 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Night!
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »
we had a nice hot summer Pizza Night last night.  Great company, interesting conversation, a little wine and a superstar guest Pizziolo.  Many lessons learned, invaluable advice taken.  Thanks to everyone who was there!  the picture is of a very nice margarita with ricotta and Buffalo Mozzarella.  it had a great texture.  Sorry for the poor photos. my camera was inside and it fogged up when I tried using it.  today we made some dough, got a few more great tips, and then ate more pizza at Bettola. 
bill

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
Nice!  Omid is becoming quite the traveling pizziolo, eh?

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:20 AM »
we had a nice hot summer Pizza Night last night.  Great company, interesting conversation, a little wine and a superstar guest Pizziolo.  Many lessons learned, invaluable advice taken.  Thanks to everyone who was there!  the picture is of a very nice margarita with ricotta and Buffalo Mozzarella.  it had a great texture.  Sorry for the poor photos. my camera was inside and it fogged up when I tried using it.  today we made some dough, got a few more great tips, and then ate more pizza at Bettola. 
bill

Dear Bill, I express to you and your wife my gratitude for your opulent hospitality. I was so enchanted with the food, wine, great company, and your gentle nature. My sister, who recently moved to Alabama, sent me a text an hour ago, asking me how I liked my brief stay in Alabama and Georgia. I replied that, there is an indescribable charm to the South. . . Later, she sent me the following gnom:

"The South, the place where… Tea is sweet and accents are sweeter. Summer starts in April. Macaroni & Cheese is a vegetable. Front porches are wide and words are long. Pecan pie is a staple. Y'all is the only proper noun. Chicken is fried and biscuits come with gravy. Everything is Darlin'. Someone's heart is always being blessed."

As someone who has adopted the United States as his new home, I still have a lot to learn about this land.

During my very brief stay, Bill took me to Pizzeria Betolla in Birmingham, Alabama, where I had the chance to meet the owner/pizzaiolo James Lewis, to see his wood-fired oven (crafted by Forno Napoletano), and to enjoy his pizza Margherita. I am thankful to Mr. Lewis for his warm reception. Next, we headed, unfortunately without Bill, to Atlanta, Georgia, where I had a pizza Margherita (with buffalo mozzarella) at Antico Pizza. Indeed, the pizzeria gets very busy! Shortly after we walked in, a long line of patrons formed by the front door. I liked the fact that customers had to share tables with people they did not know, akin to L'antica Pizzeria Da Michele. At my table, a very long table, I witnessed a couple of customers exchanging pizza slices with one another, although they did not know each other. That was great!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:42:49 AM by Pizza Napoletana »
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:39 AM »
Betolla . . .

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:54 AM »
Antico . . .

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2013, 04:58:58 AM »
Awesome!  It would have been great to meet you in person here in Atl.  What did you think of Antico's pizza? 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »
Hanging out with Omid and our other very knowlegible guests was such a treat.  the Neapolitan pizza journey is a long one, and after the basics, full of a seemingly endless number of fine details to be learned and practiced.  many of those are not obvious and are impossible to grasp through pictures and written words.  I got to pick up on many of these nuances last weekend as we worked the oven, baked pizzas, made dough, went to a pizzeria, watched parts of their process, and talked about all of that.  I can't wait for my next bake to begin putting some of these fine points into play. 
I'll report back with results! 
bill

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
I see that in the Antico dough balls, some balls have began to form large bubbles. What is the general thought on the merits or drawbacks of this happening? How do you guys handle this? Pop them?

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2013, 05:33:47 AM »
Awesome!  It would have been great to meet you in person here in Atl.  What did you think of Antico's pizza?

Dear Fornographer, yes, it would have been great to meet you, my pizza comrade, in Atlanta. In regard to your question, suffice it to say that I was not personally pleased with the pizza, but I exuberantly enjoyed the atmosphere. Have a great day!

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
I see that in the Antico dough balls, some balls have began to form large bubbles. What is the general thought on the merits or drawbacks of this happening? How do you guys handle this? Pop them?

Dear JF, all pizzaioli, whether professional or non-professional, have to deal with the "big bubbles" that may appear on dough balls. Some are of the belief that professional pizzaioli never have such bubbles in their dough balls. That is not true at all. I have personally encountered Ciro Salvo's and Da Michele dough balls that acutely exhibited such large bubbles. Again, my point is that all pizzaioli need to learn how to deal with the bubbles.

Generally speaking, a merit of the bubbles is simply that fermentation is taking place. On the other hand, a major drawback is that a large bubble, especially when popped, on the surface of a dough disc, not cornicione, may represent a weak or vulnerable spot, meaning that it may tear on the oven floor if the pizza is not carefully manipulated with a turning peel. Briefly put, the spot where a large bubble appears on the surface of a raw dough disc (which initially was on the surface of the dough ball) often has a lower density, hence is "weaker" or more "vulnerable", than the rest of the spots. The lower density also partly accounts for appearance of the undesirable burnt bubbles on the cornicione. Under such conditions, skillful handling of dough balls on the bancone and oven floor is of import. Good day!

Omid
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:49:23 PM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »
Hi Omid,
How do you handle them personally?

Offline breffni

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2013, 12:37:08 PM »
Bill - don't want to hijack your thread, so will put longer post and photos  in the "Lazy Man's Bread" topic.

Borrowed your recipe for Lazy Man's Bread, just incredible, so light and airy versus what I'd previously attempted.
Almost drunk posted you Saturday night, which would have included superlatives like 'orgasmic', but was too busy scarfing down bread hot out of the oven.

Thanks for sharing your method! 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »
awesome!  it still feels like cheating to me because its so easy but I love the bread.
bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2013, 09:41:21 AM »
last night we had pizza night but didn't invite anyone to come.  I wanted to practice a little so I just made 10 margaritas in a row. Repetition helps me to seal the lessons I've picked up over the last few months.  The oven was very hot, about 860 +/-, the bake times were all about 60-70 seconds. Dough was 34 hour, 8 in balls, 61%, 1.8% ischia, 2.8% salt. 
I've found that if I get a little lazy and let the temp drop into the 700s, the texture is all wrong.  that tender crumb really depends on fast bake times.  every detail seems to count!
bill

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »
Jeez Bill,

What did you do, buy a "perfect pizza cloning device"? Those pies look as delicious as they do consistent!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Online Matthew

« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
As good as it gets; Bravo!

Matt

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
Bill,
When you say "The oven was very hot, about 860 +/-" are you referring to the deck or the dome?

Stellar pies I have to say.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »
thanks guys!
ppg - those are deck temps at the launch spot. 
bill

Offline misterschu

« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »
Compilation photo reminds me of a similar "pizza party" i had... just for myself.  None of my friends could come over.  Mine all cooked in my 26" (22" interior) "franken" weber conversion.  These were the leftovers.  I believe these were before I got my Ischia culture, so looking at 1kg caputo, 65% hydration, 3% salt, .7% IDY (one packet), 12 hour bulk rise (room temp), 48 hour balled rise (fridge).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:09:00 PM by misterschu »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:22 PM »
First class pies Bill.

I hit your pic with the autofix. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28337.0.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:28:32 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.