Author Topic: Anyone use green peppers in their sauce  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Anyone use green peppers in their sauce
« on: August 31, 2005, 06:11:09 PM »
I live in the Youngstown, Ohio area. 

One of the known pizza specialties from this area is "Brier Hill Pizza".

Brier Hill pizza is topped with sauce, green peppers and Romano cheese, nothing else.

This is the pizza the old Italians made. A key ingredient is green bell peppers in the sauce.

Anyone on the board tried green bell peppers cooked in their  pizza sauce, if so, how did it taste??

Offline Y-TOWN

Brier Hill - Youngstown, Ohio - "Nationally Know Pizza Type"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 06:17:24 PM »
In San Francisco, California, the Indian Pizza has become a source of pride, wooing residents with with traditional South Asian flavors on top of pizza: curries, prawns, tandoori chicken, etc.

Hawaiian pizzas are an American invention, usually consisting of a cheese and tomato base with Canadian bacon and pineapple. It is especially popular in the Western United States, where a style commonly called "The Perfect Pizza" consists of pepperoni on one half, and Hawaiian-style on the other. Hawaiian-style pizza is mocked by some (primarily outside the western US) as a variation which has strayed too far from its Italian roots, and loathed by some others for the effect the addition of sweet fruit has on the overall flavor, though its popularity has nonetheless endured and is a favorite of many. Interestingly, "Hawaiian-style" pizza is not particularly popular in Hawaii.

In New York City, pizza is sold in oversized, thin and flexible slices. It is traditionally hand-tossed and light on sauce. The slices are sometimes eaten folded in half, as its size and flexibility may otherwise make it unwieldy to eat by hand. This style of pizza tends to dominate the Northeastern states, many shops advertising New York-style pizza.

In Chicago, Illinois, the Chicago-style pizza, or deep dish pizza, contains a crust which is formed up the sides of a deep dish pan and reverses the order of ingredients, using crust, cheese, filling, then sauce on top. Some versions (usually referred to as "stuffed" pizza) have two layers of crust with the sauce on top. Deep dish pizza was purportedly invented and first served in 1943 at Uno's Pizzeria, which, as of 2005, was still operating along with its twin restaurant, Due's, in the River North neighborhood of Chicago.

In New Haven, Connecticut, the local specialty is known as apizza. This thin-crust pizza originated with the Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in the Wooster Square neighborhood of New Haven. The canonical New Haven-style pizza is a white clam pie.

In St. Louis, Missouri, Saint Louis-style pizza is made with a thin crispy crust, often heavily seasoned with salt and oregano, topped with provel cheese, and served in small squares rather than pie-like slices.

In Buffalo, New York, pizza is made with a thicker, doughier crust than traditional New York style pizza, with a slightly thicker and sweeter sauce, mozzarella cheese and (usually) pepperoni cooked until it is burned and crispy on the edges. It is generally served with Buffalo wings, which are ordered by the dozen or the bucket.

In Utica, NY, a type of pizza called tomato pie is common. This type of pizza is usually served cold, and is topped only with a light layer of Pecorino Romano cheese

===================================================================================

In the Youngstown, OH area, one can find what is known as "Brier Hill Pizza". This style of pizza originated in the Brier Hill neighborhood, which was Youngstown's "Little Italy". It features a thick sauce topped with a mixture of Parmesan and Romano cheese and green peppers.

====================================================================================

In Rhode Island, there exists a type of pizza called strip pizza, which is commonly sold in bakeries. This form of pizza has a thick, chewy, almost bread-like dough and is topped with a very thick tomato sauce. It has a minimal amount of cheese, and is always served cold. It is usually (but not always) wrapped in individual strips (hence the name).

In Scotland, fish and chip shops commonly sell a "pizza supper". This consists of a portion of fried chips (french fries) and a frozen pizza which has been deep fried rather than baked. Although its nutritional value is dubious, it is nevertheless a popular meal.

In Canada, a popular pizza topping combination uses bacon, pepperoni and mushrooms and is called a 'Canadian Pizza'. In Quebec, the Canadian Pizza topping combination is called a 'Québécois Pizza'. There is no difference between the two and the differentiation is merely political. A pizza with mushrooms, pepperoni, and green bell pepper is referred to as "All-Dressed".

In Australia, a commonly sold style is the Aussie pizza, which is topped with ham, bacon, cheese and egg. It is generally loved or hated by pizza lovers, and is featured on most pizza shop menus across the country.

In Japan, pizza toppings may include sweet corn, diced potatoes, scrambled eggs, mayonnaise, Camembert cheese, curry sauce, and various kinds of seafood. Japanese pizzas are commonly served with Tabasco sauce, to be added as a condiment.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:20:38 PM by Rkos »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Anyone use green peppers in their sauce
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:04:54 PM »
I used fresh roasted "Red" bell pepper. Very tasty!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 07:06:01 AM »
Depending on what I have a taste for, I have used GP in my sauce, BUT--what I do is put half of a fresh GP in 2-3 quarts of sauce(along with the other ingredients), cook it and then remove the veggie. For me, someone who doesn't like GP's, the taste is too over powering to use fresh directly on the pizza itself, but I can appreciate a hint of it in my sauce. It's different and good. ;D

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 09:32:31 AM »
I use 1 Tbsp of green bell pepper in my thin crust sauce. I put the whole peeled tomatoes, seasonings, onion (1 tsp), and green pepper into a blender and puree until smooth. No chunks in the sauce! Then I simmer for 20 minutes. Very tasty on a cracker crust pizza!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.