Author Topic: Natural Gas Grill (Outdoors) vs Electric Oven (Bosch)  (Read 4664 times)

Offline switchhitter

Re: Natural Gas Grill (Outdoors) vs Electric Oven (Bosch)
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »
For dough, I typically make my own (lately been using Bittman's NYTimes recipe.. it works pretty well - though I'd prefer it to be a tad more crisp).

For sauce, I make my own as well, or go sans tomato sauce!

I think my grill originally came from Lowe's.  It is really awesome and hooked up to natural gas.  I absolutely love it.

scott123

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
Mark, considering all the time you're putting into getting the right grill setup, you really shouldn't be cutting any corners when it comes to the dough.  Get a digital scale and work with a real NY style pizzza dough recipe.

And you may not want to go through so much trouble partially blocking the IR.  If the IR is burning the pizza before the bottom is down, just turn it on for only part of the bake.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
switch, I see your stated you have two 16x20 tiles for the Jenn-Air.  I take it the 20 goes the length of the grill and the 16 is the width or from back to front.  So I have a couple more questions -

1) What size pizzas do you end up making?  I mean diameter.

2) Does the stone run from the back to the front without any open space or do you have an inch open space between the front of the tile and the front of the grill or an inch of space between the back of the tile and the back of the grill where the infrared is?   Could be more or less than an inch but trying to figure out how much space if any do you have or if it covers the entire width of the grill from the front to the back with just the sides being open in order for air flow to occur.

Thanks

Offline switchhitter

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »
Mark, considering all the time you're putting into getting the right grill setup, you really shouldn't be cutting any corners when it comes to the dough.  Get a digital scale and work with a real NY style pizzza dough recipe.

And you may not want to go through so much trouble partially blocking the IR.  If the IR is burning the pizza before the bottom is down, just turn it on for only part of the bake.

What dough recipe would you recommend?  I'd like thin, with a little crispness - very Naples style?  And also, do you have one that you'd recommend that is a 24 hour and one that would be same day?

Offline switchhitter

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »
switch, I see your stated you have two 16x20 tiles for the Jenn-Air.  I take it the 20 goes the length of the grill and the 16 is the width or from back to front.  So I have a couple more questions -

1) What size pizzas do you end up making?  I mean diameter. I THINK THEY END UP BEING ABOUT 12-14 INCHES.  SOMETHING THAT WOULD FIT ON A TRADITIONAL ITALIAN PIZZA PLATTER.  SOMETIMES THOUGH I DO MAKE THEM MORE RECTANGULAR WHEN FEEDING MORE THAN 2 PEEPS.

2) Does the stone run from the back to the front without any open space or do you have an inch open space between the front of the tile and the front of the grill or an inch of space between the back of the tile and the back of the grill where the infrared is?   Could be more or less than an inch but trying to figure out how much space if any do you have or if it covers the entire width of the grill from the front to the back with just the sides being open in order for air flow to occur.

I HAVE OPEN SPACE.  ABOUT 2 1/2  INCHES BEHIND AND 1 1/2 INCHES IN THE FRONT (SO THE TOP GOES DOWN). 

Airflow is all around but much tighter in front/back.

I think I'll be making a pizza tomorrow, and will post a pic.

Also, btw - I don't know if anyone else does this but before I place the pizza on the stone, I place it on a double sheet of aluminum fool.  The heat from the stone goes through it immediately and then it makes it a snap to put on and off (I haven't been able to master the art of peeling the pizza on/off the best yet.

Thanks

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
switch, thanks for the info.  I look forward to your pics when you make your next pizza.

One more question, what are the dimensions of your grill?  I know when I look at specs they usually say how many square inches but I'm more interested in the length and width dimensions.  If you mentioned it and I missed it please excuse my redundancy.  Thank You.

Offline switchhitter

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
The cooking surface is 19x36 inches.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
The cooking surface is 19x36 inches.

Thanks switch. That's nice and big of a grilling surface.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »
switch, does your back burners have two metal square pieces that block the bottom corners of the infrared burner?  I tried to find a pic on the net that I could post here but I could not believe how incredible hard it is to find a photo of a back burner of a gas grill and especially one with those metal pieces. 

I'm wondering if yours has these and if you do what is the purpose of these?

Do you ever make a rotisserie chicken with this burner?

Thanks