Author Topic: Pepperoni Brands --  (Read 54584 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Pepperoni Brands --
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 07:28:48 PM »
Ahhh!Sonny Terry and a Wood fired Pizza..............Great website Frankie and a lovely story about the bricks under the tree!Isn't it great how an oven brings people together and adds something special to a gathering.I've had no end of people pass my garden and strike up conversation about my oven (less common up in the North East)Well done.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 10:56:19 AM »
Thanks David.

I agree.  People are fascinated by the oven when they see it.... and even more fascinated when it's fired up and working.

Do you have any pics of your oven?  I'll post them to my site....

Have a great day.

Frankie G

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 07:22:31 PM »
I posted a pic. of it in this Neapolitan thread:

Re: Marco's Sourdough Pizza
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2005,
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 07:49:01 PM »
Frankie G:

Thanks for the kind words on our Classic Style Pepperoni.

If you are an operating pizzeria, I would be glad to get you a sample... Out of good faith..... If you are a member of this group and just a plain 'ol pepperoni lover, I can get you a sample if you can help with the overnight shipping.  Pepperoni is on me...  if you pay shipping.  limited quantity of course.

Many people have been interested in the small pepperonis that cup perfectly... Swiss American's taste is unbelievable.   Your post saved me from wondering any further about Smart & Final as a replica.  Is Galileo Gallo's pepperoni readily available to those who are consumers, maybe through stores in the bay area?

Thank you for your informative description and considerate pepperoni offer above, even to Serious Consumers. 

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 09:39:50 PM »
Premium Gallo/galileo is inconsistently stocked at United Grocers Cash&Carry (purchased by smart& final 1998). They have an approved purchase list; so ask to have it stocked if you dont see it.

United Grocers Cash & Carry 408-971-2637, on 1731  W. San Carlos at Leigh in San Jose is in my 2004 yellow pages.

I have no clue as to wether it qualifies as a cup&char.
If i purchase at smart & Final I grab the Pocino brand.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 01:43:30 AM »
I'm wondering if "natural casings" and/or the thickness sliced have anything to do with cupping pepperoni?

I'm asumming that "cupping pepperoni" is when the pepperoni takes on a bowl shape after baking.

My typical brands curl somewhat at higher temps (not a bowl shape) and develops a char that is pleasant, not like burnt bacon.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 09:59:29 AM »
Just curious, has anyone compared Swiss American pepperoni with Ezzo pepperoni?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 11:37:09 AM »
I now know I'll never try Sara Lee brand pepperoni again. After baking I tasted kinda like a mix of cheap bologna & salami.  ??? The best tasting thats avalible in my area is Boars Head. Also I thought the natrual casing caused the curl or cupping

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 12:27:32 PM »
Hey Everyone.

My name is Frank Giovanni.  I am the sales manager for Swiss American Sausage Co.  www.sasausage.com

Out of good faith..... If you are a member of this group and just a plain 'ol pepperoni lover, I can get you a sample if you can help with the overnight shipping.  Pepperoni is on me...  if you pay shipping.  limited quantity of course.

Let me know if I can help.  AND!!!!  Check out my personal website:  www.deltabluesfestival.net/pizza_oven.htm

Thanks.

Ciao.

Frankie G

Frankie - Awesome!  That pepperoni is good stuff.  I first had it with Giotto at the mountain view Amici's.  I brought my girlfriend there later and she loved it as well.  I might have to take you up on that free sample offer.  :-)

Do you guys distribute to any stores at all?  I haven't seen it anywhere, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Also that is a pretty nice oven you have!  I'm jealous.  :-)

- Aaron
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline giotto

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2005, 12:55:26 PM »
Swiss American has different ones for the pros, this is the Classic.  Well aware of that particular cash & carry... I checked it out before... didn't see a resemblence. 

Natural casing is important to the cup (bowl) shape... If that's all you want, it's easy to get.  But you will not get the unique spicy taste of the Swiss American Classic or the texture. 

It's made for commerical heated ovens.  With a fire-breathing refractory brick oven, I enjoyed a slight char of the Swiss American Classic pepperoni... not to be confused with anything else.

It all depends on how serious you are about your toppings. This to me was a dead-on opportunity.

Enjoy Abatardi! 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 01:03:06 PM by giotto »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2005, 12:58:38 PM »
If the Saralee brand you purchased is anything like the general grocery version of Gallo, Yes, its pretty gross. It just tastes like extremely poor quality meat that someone dumped tons of spices into to try to cover it up.

About 20 years ago, I was able to get Gallo "premium" at Costco, they stopped carrying it, so I grabbed the general grocery version! BIG mistake! I hadn't seen the premium version since, until a month ago, at United Grocers Cash& Cary.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 07:07:54 PM »
Giotto,
I just saw the pic you posted from Amici's. The pepperoni, damn the whole pie looks great!

After visiting Swiss-American website I am left to assume that the Classico is only supplied in whole-link. (Maybe Frankie G. can let us know one this one.) 

If this is the case, I would be very interested in knowing about how thin they're slicing the pepperoni.

Anybody have any guesstimates?

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 11:14:20 AM »
Whew....  The questions come so fast.

Cool.

Ok....  Our Classic Style Pepperoni is made in the classic way.  We use an edible casing that represents a natural casing.

When the casing is left on the pepperoni, and is exposed to the oven's heat, the casing is the first thing that shrinks.  This brings the sides of the pepperoni up (or down in some cases) and that is where the "cupping" comes from.

Oddly enough, the majority of the professional pizza world thinks that their customers do not like pepperoni to cup.  So we make a product in an artificial casing.  When the pepperoni is dry, we remove the artificial casing and the pepperoni is sliced.  Without the casing, it has less o a chance to cup.  (capisco?)

Unfortunately, Swiss American only sells to the pizza trade currently.  That's why I offered samples if people pay for shipping.  I feel that it's unfair if I talk about it and not let one taste it.

Also.....  I will be posting David's Oven to my website.  If you have a woodfired oven ......   send me a pic.... and I'll get it up.

Have a great day and thanks for all the nice comments and all the interests.

Offline giotto

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 01:34:35 PM »
Frankie G:

Well, the good news is that I noticed Amici's was #1 independent pizza operator the last time I checked... And as Lydia and Abatardi pointed out, it's a beautiful thing how they let those little Swiss American guys cup... As Emeril would say, time to take it up a notch... After all, Pepperoni is still the #1 topping in America.

So "just" 3 "more" questions:

- Is the Gallo, which you referred to earlier, a replica of your Classic with casing and the premium gallo/galileo as referred to by Lydia earlier?

- When you send the Classic sliced, does it include the edible casing so it will cup?

- Steve Z, the Admin for this site, was wondering what are the differences with Ezzo pepperoni? He explains what 3 phase is with ovens, and is now looking for your professional insight on Ezzo differences. 

In the end, even the consumer will bring their preferences to the pizza industry! Thanks for keeping this thread happening.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 02:14:07 PM »
If you enjoy making sausage, pepperoni is not very difficult to make, especially a semi-dry cured and smoked pepperoni. I think traditional pepperoni is not smoked, but I really like the result from lightly smoking the pepperoni after it has cured for 1 - 2 months. I usually use 50% pork and 50% beef for the best flavor and texture for pizzas.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »
Answers to questions:

- Is the Gallo, which you referred to earlier, a replica of your Classic with casing and the premium gallo/galileo as referred to by Lydia earlier?

No.  I would rather not comment on a competitors product...  I have personal opinions but I do not want to be unprofessional.

- When you send the Classic sliced, does it include the edible casing so it will cup?

Yep.  The casing is left on when it is sliced.... so the pepperoni will cup.

- Steve Z, the Admin for this site, was wondering what are the differences with Ezzo pepperoni? He explains what 3 phase is with ovens, and is now looking for your professional insight on Ezzo differences.

I have never heard of Ezzo Pepperoni...  Sorry.

And as far as making pepperoni.. go ahead but be careful when you include BEEF.  Remember... there is such a thing as ecoli.  Also.. if you like smoke... try a little liquid smoke and use on a "carrier" so it can be dispersed throughout the formula.  Put the liquid smoke in with the salt.  Mix.  then as the salt is evenly mixed in your formula... you will have better coverage with the smoke throughout. 

Just a thought.

Frankie G
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 03:02:31 PM by Frankie G »

Offline giotto

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2005, 03:41:50 PM »
Frankie:

Galileo, Gallo (same product)  Produced in San Leandro for California

I thought your quote above was suggesting that it was the same product as yours... Now I realize that you were saying that Galileo and Gallo were one in the same. Thanks for clarifying.

Regarding curing, I used to cure jerky... The sanitizing is partly what drew me away from it.  It's not the process that's difficult.  As with most foods at home, you have to work at it to get it right, including texture and taste, and it's a multi-day process.  Sure I got it down pat... after a year.  I remember seeing pizza stated as easy... Here I am again.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 03:58:24 PM by giotto »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2005, 04:13:43 PM »
I was under the assumption that pepperoni couldn't be sliced without the casing. Or is this only true of pepperoni that is made in the edible natural type casings?? But I'm truely ingnorant on this.

I need to take Pepperoni 101 or something  ???

While researching products I am also defining my own and my family's preferences: taste, texture; all beef or beef-pork blend, natural casing etc. I am also looking for a steady and convenient source.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 04:15:22 PM »
to the best of my knowledge:

Sara Lee owns:

Gallo, Galileo, Capri, Gomez, Deli D' Italia and a few others.

If I am incorrect, welcome correction. Just trying to be helpful.

Frankie G

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2005, 05:02:31 PM »

And as far as making pepperoni.. go ahead but be careful when you include BEEF.  Remember... there is such a thing as ecoli.  Also.. if you like smoke... try a little liquid smoke and use on a "carrier" so it can be dispersed throughout the formula.  Put the liquid smoke in with the salt.  Mix.  then as the salt is evenly mixed in your formula... you will have better coverage with the smoke throughout. 

I'm not too worried about food-born illness. I use nitrite/nitrates, smoke to an internal temp of ~145F and bake the pie in a 800F+ oven. So far, so good  :).

Use liquid smoke? :o Never! Detest the stuff. Why go to the all the trouble to grind, stuff, and cure the pepperoni and then use liquid smoke? I guess it's fine for commercial use to a market that can't tell the difference.

Bill/SFNM