Author Topic: Pepperoni Brands --  (Read 55594 times)

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
Re: Pepperoni Brands --
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2005, 06:53:49 PM »
C. Botulinum toxin is described as a soil-borne, mesophilic, spore-forming, anaerobic bacterium.  It is carried into the kitchen via raw foods, as well as our hands, clothing, among other places.  It produces spores, that are extremely durable.  While the bacterium is destroyed 212F, the spores are not destroyed so easily.  They require 240F for a sustained length of time.  Then of course there is the posion that is brought about by the spores.  The toxin is so strong that 1 tsp of the pure substance could kill 100s of thousands of people. Fortunately, the cases have dropped due to increased information, procedures, and decreased home usage since the 40's.

While nitrates do help prevent the creation of C. botulinum toxin, they can also mask food spoilage. Nitrates are converted into nitrites in our body by metabolism, either when we eat them or by their interaction with the protein of raw meat cured. The nitrites in turn help to make nitrosamines... and that has caused other controversy. So it's use is limited, and so is it's protection.

So now let's look at the USDA.  A USDA jerky company would only bring out minimal beef at any point in time.  If one fly or insect was seen, just one... everything, and I mean everything, had to be thrown out that was out on the floor, and that one insect had to be found, shown, and then removed, and everything scrubbed down before business could be re-introduced.  They too used nitrates, unlike me, and mine was approved for 12 months by the USDA.  You could have eaten off the floor... everything was being scrubbed down anyways with chlorine bleach type substance. 

Even my local state-approved Safeway store is constantly changing formulas for scrub down, because the bacteria builds up an immunity.  In our hospitals, we have MSRA issues due to increased immunity and the time will likely come where medicines will be superceeded because of it. 

800F for a pie is a great thing.  But I like to eat cured meats at room temp too and would not recommend disregard for sanitation.  Chlorine bleach wipes of all surfaces should always be used, as well as proper handling procedures before and after the moistness is reduced (unfortunately, bacteria can thrive even with lack of oxygen when combined with moistness).

Despite handling even by professionals, I don't always like the preservation ingredients.  I'll never forget Tyler Florence's expression when he learned that tomatoes were smoked as a measure to preserve them at an Italian Villa... I knew exactly what he was thinking. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 07:55:42 PM by giotto »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2005, 07:59:55 PM »
Giotto:

I'm glad you addressed this issue. This is the main reason why I never attempted to make pepperoni at home.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2005, 08:21:31 PM »
I just ordered a sample package from Frankie. Once my package arrives, I will be able to compare the Swiss American pepperoni with Ezzo pepperoni. Ezzo is some of the best that I've ever tasted... it will be interesting to taste the two side-by-side.  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2005, 08:47:40 PM »
Steve

I look forward to your comments, I have not had the chance to try Ezzo's.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2005, 09:30:07 PM »
I dusted off my Hormel Sausage booklet. I dont know the age of my booklet. Covers do not have a copyright or a printing date. But its been in my possession for too many years to mention  :o

"Leoni pepperoni has the same spicy flavor and top-quality ingredients as our traditional double-linked Rosa Pepperoni, but is stuffed into a wider diameter (approx. 2 1/2") artificial casing" Intended for sandwich- deli.

Anybody seen it, heard of it, or used it???

I'm wondering if Leoni might have been renamed Rosa Grande???

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:24:44 PM by Lydia »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2005, 10:19:33 PM »
I have not seen the Leoni, but if it is really the same as the Rosa I can comment on the flavor.  I use the Hormel Rosa all the time.  Ezzo has no distribution here in the Boston area.  Rosa is the next best thing that I know of around here, and it is nice not to have to deal with shipping.  The taste is very close to Ezzo with just a little less of a pork flavor.  You can get that great cup and char easily.  This is the pepperoni that is used at Lombardi's in NYC.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2005, 10:54:06 PM »
Thanks Scott!

I added an afterthought to my previous post....

Leoni possibly renamed Rosa Grande??
The book has no mention of Grande. I know... my book is old.  ;)

It states: "Rosa is a medium chopped beef and pork. The prominent spice is Italian Red Pepper which imparts a hot flavor to the product."

Also it refers to something they call "Slicers" (traditional flavored, preferred by pizzerias, in link form and artificial casings; and the 3 1/2 pound  ??? CANNED ??? version is presliced.

It clearly shows that this "CANNED" version is not the same pepperoni that is vacuum packed for general grocery.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2005, 12:59:19 AM »
The Rosa Grande is just slightly wider than the Rosa.   The two Rosas are the same size as the two Ezzo's I think.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2005, 11:40:57 AM »
  :-\ ... if they taste the same it sounds like it may very well be a possibility. . .

Also I don't know Ezzo's diameter.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2005, 01:49:48 PM »
I just ordered a sample package from Frankie. Once my package arrives, I will be able to compare the Swiss American pepperoni with Ezzo pepperoni. Ezzo is some of the best that I've ever tasted... it will be interesting to taste the two side-by-side. :)

Good luck to me!!!!

Frankie G

Offline marceld

• Supporting Member
One reason to use liquid smoke
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2005, 07:59:30 PM »
(M) Bill/SFNM wrote:

(B) "Use liquid smoke? Shocked Never! Detest the stuff. Why go to the all the trouble to grind, stuff, and cure the pepperoni and then use liquid smoke? I guess it's fine for commercial use to a market that can't tell the difference."

================================================================================

(M) I love naturally smoked meats and fish.  :P  I also understand that the fat in meat, when charcoal broiled, and perhaps when exposed to smoke can become carcinogenic.  :-\

(M) "Wright's Concentrated All Natural Hickory Seasoning Liquid Smoke" has the following two (2) ingredients: "WATER, NATURAL HICKORY SMOKE CONCENTRATE".

(M) I don't want to appear as a "jerky"  ::)  but I use it in a faux smoked salmon and most people love it.  :)

Ciao,

Marcel
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...... but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2005, 10:10:31 AM »
Has anyone tried Emerils gourmet pepperoni? I just saw it on a large display at Walmart.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2005, 11:17:04 AM »
Large companies usually take "BIG" star names and market the same 'ol product.

I will try and do some research to see what brand it actually is.

I would almost guarantee you that it is not Emeril's recipe.

Frankie G

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2005, 12:01:29 PM »
That sounds great Frankie!

Thanks

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2005, 08:27:17 AM »
My sample of Swiss American pepperoni arrived a couple of days ago.  :)  And what a "sample" it is... 10 pounds of it!!

I also ordered some Ezzo from Pennmac.com and I'm waiting for it arrive. Once I have the Ezzo, I'll bake up a couple of pizzas and compare the pepperoni side-by-side.

Steve
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Danivel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2005, 11:37:36 PM »
Anybody else out there like the Armour brand?  I don't know if Armour is nationwide, or not, but they are throughout the Midwest.  To me, it has the right amount of spice and grease in it.  It's just a bit tangy and there is just enough grease that cooks out to help flavor the pizza. 

It's also very cheap, at the local Wal-Mart it goes for $2.12 for a "pouch" package.  At the moment I'm not sure if that is 6 or 8 oz package.  The slices are all the same thickness and are probably about 1-3\8" in diameter.  We think it has a lot more flavor than Hormel and the other brands Wal-Mart carries.

Danivel

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2005, 12:18:20 AM »
Frankie, is your swiss american pepperoni sold in the boston area at the wholesale or retail level?

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2005, 11:14:22 AM »
Sorry....

Swiss American is mainly West Coast except for some select customers.

We do sell in PA, and Ohio....  but it goes directly to certain Chains.

Frankie G

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2005, 12:58:41 PM »
Well....

Went to Walmart and did not find Emeril's pepperoni.

Found, Swift, Hormel, Gallo, Armour, and Cariani....

If you find the Emeril brand, please send me the EST number on the bag.....  I is located in a small white circle on the label.

Frankie G

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2005, 06:57:29 PM »
Amici's is one of those pizzerias that still serves the small pepperonis; but Amici's ovens can range over 850F, and the composition of the Swiss American pepperoni is such that pros of this caliber can avoid worrying about over crispy results.  Pyzano's, owned by Tony Gemignani (who now runs the World Pizza Champion team and basically the Las Vegas World Pizza Events, opposed to the US Pizza Team and NY event) also uses Swiss American, but in the wider sizes. 

Ezzo has been noted to be efficient for pros because it doesn't stick together due to its leaner nature. Its pepperonis are as much as 25% leaner than others. I'm not one for lean sausage; but its likely to work nicely in a home oven.

Swiss American can be slower to cup and less likely to get that slight crisp at the top at home.  Although, I'm still quite pleased with the results in my inefficient 520F oven, as shown here:

(https://home.comcast.net/~keck-foundation1/pepperoni.JPG)

Here's an Amici's pepperoni pizza:

(https://home.comcast.net/~keck-foundation1/amici-pizza.jpg)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 07:25:25 PM by giotto »