Author Topic: Pepperoni Brands --  (Read 54774 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Pepperoni Brands --
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2005, 08:10:04 AM »
Sounds great Steve...  but remember.... if one is looking to use the product on pizza....  Why consider it raw?

You're right, Frankie. My next taste-off will be with the cooked product.  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2005, 07:30:41 AM »
Just FYI:
USDA PLant # 2435 is-
HILLSHIRE FARM & KAHN'S
N3620 COUNTY HIGHWAY D
NEW LONDON, WI 54961
920-982-2611

Pepperoni, and other "dry" sausages, have a shelf-life determined by something called Moisture-Protein Ratio (MPR).
Lack of moisture and acidity levels inhibit pathogenic growth, thereby giving an extended shelf-life. Quality doesn't come into play.

From the USDA Labeling Policy:

SAUSAGE - SHELF STABLE:
Dry sausage must have a Moisture Protein Ratio (MPR) of 1.9:1 or
less, unless an MPR is cited under MOISTURE PROTEIN RATIO.
Non-refrigerated, semi-dry, shelf-stable sausage must have an MPR
of 3.1:1 or less and a pH of 5.0 or less, unless commercially
sterilized or unless an MPR is cited under MOISTURE PROTEIN
RATIO. Alternately, non-refrigerated, semi-dry, shelf-stable
sausages are those that:
1. are fermented to a pH of 4.5 or lower (or pH may be as high as
4.6 if combined with product water activity no higher than 0.91),
2. are in an intact form or, if sliced, are vacuum packed,
3. have internal brine concentration no less than 5%,
4. are cured with nitrite or nitrate, and
5. are smoked with wood.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2005, 10:19:16 PM »
I've learned soo much on this topic, I just wanted to say a quick THANKS to everyone who has submitted opinions and information. I appreciate them all!!

I would also love to see a type of rating system,
If anybody has any ideas on how to develop a rating system, I'd like to hear it.

At best I could see rating how the brands bake at different temperatures and different baking methods (gas, electric, wood burning ect.).

Swiss American in the natural casings seems to have it's best flavor and texture when charred. Which I was able to produce in an electric oven at 550F. Not all the pepperonis charred with this method. Using the broiler charred all the pepperonis perfectly, and made a significant difference. I found that the natural casing on pepperonis that didn't char, had a rubbery texture I didn't care for.

Sounds great Steve... but remember.... if one is looking to use the product on pizza.... Why consider it raw?

There is only one case that I would see comparing the pepperoni raw might be relevent.
Some pizza establishments place the pepperoni on the pizza's ONLY after they are baked, then the pizza is only slightly warmed over before serving. Sbarro's is my example and it's probably a "rare" example. (PUN intended  ;D ) It was explained to me that "pepperoni is just to greasy when baked on the pizza".

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2006, 02:24:23 PM »
http://www.newyorkstyledeli.com/Home.aspx?PID=81

margarita pepperoni is the best damn pepperoni period.  I would say 95% of the pizzeria's in Buffalo use it.  It is small so it will "cup in crisp" and is spicy and flavorful.  There is a precut version called cup n crisp, for those who hate slicing sticks.  It has a natural casing.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2006, 10:06:56 AM »
I recently began cooking the pepperoni on the top, which may seem normal for most of you, but in Chicago, everything is under the cheese. It's great, and I won't go back.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2006, 10:10:35 PM »
lilbuddy

Thats another relevant point to consider. Pepperoni tastes "different" when baked under the cheese. The pepperoni sweats and takes on different characteristics. This is also true when baked in a calzone, stomboli or stuft crust pizzas.

I'm curious if there are any tends in brand preference when baked under/inside  vs. ontop.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Hi Gluten

• Supporting Member
  • This is how you make Swiss Cheese, not Mozz!
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2006, 10:55:53 PM »
I just tried a new pepperoni from a local supermarket. The brand name is "Wilson". I found it to be rather tasty. It had a mellow flavor and quite crispy, not oily. Not bad for a supermarket offering... On the back of the package it said that it was distributed by Tyson ( a favorite among the food service industry ). 

I would definitely buy it again.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2006, 09:03:49 AM »
I've been using up my supply of Ezzo pepperoni over the last few weeks. My kids keep complaining that the pepperoni is too spicy (hot) for them. I personally like a spicy pepperoni, but then again I like crushed red pepper on my pizza. Looks like I may be switching back to Hormel which is similar to Ezzo but less spicy.  :-\
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2006, 10:16:12 AM »
Wilson and Hormel are good pepperoni.  I've used both of them about equally.  My only complaint is that they're too thick, so you end up with a lot of grease on your pizza.  I like the Ezzo lately.  It's a bit spicier, but I cut it paper-thin in the food processor, so it adds just the right amount of flavor.  Costco also carries an unsliced pepperoni called Carando, which is similar to Wilson and Hormel.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 01:28:21 PM by freshflour »

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2006, 10:48:17 PM »
if you don't put the pep on top then it won't cup n crisp and won't taste right if its not cupping and crisping.   Margherita pep all the way

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2006, 02:23:42 AM »
Tried another brand.

Amour- Italian Style pepperoni

very thin consistent slices, mild flavor with destinct anise and fennel flavors - General grocery. This one was a bit on the greasy side, but not as much as gallo's general grocery type.

I see Tyson brand mostly on chicken in my area of California, will be keeping an eye out for Wilson pepperoni.
And I still haven't located a local source for Ezzo. Spicey pepperoni seems to be my preferance. And I will be checking for that brand at Costco. Since it's being compared to Hormel, I'm assuming it on the milder side of Pepperoni.

Offline beckysuea

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2006, 11:13:25 PM »
I saw on QVC yesterday that they had an electric mandoline that looks really interesting in slicing the stick pepperoni.  It has a  thin slicer that can make potato chips so it slices really thin.   I hope this is the link.   If not go to QVC and put in mandoline and it will be about the 3rd or 4th one on the list.

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&CLASSLEVEL=&txtDesc=mandoline&SearchClass=

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2006, 08:14:29 AM »
I like pepperoni both ways under & on top I have recently started using it on top & under on  my pies. I deli sliced pepperoni under the cheese its larger & covers  more area.

Offline Ed

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2006, 06:32:18 AM »
Recently I made pizza for my co-workers at the office where I work.
I bought a stick of Bridgford pepperoni to use for them and had great results.
One of my co-workers told me he is not always big into pepperoni pizza but he liked the flavor of the pepperoni I used.

Ed

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2006, 07:59:44 AM »
Wilson and Hormel are good pepperoni.  I've used both of them about equally.  My only complaint is that they're too thick, so you end up with a lot of grease on your pizza.  I like the Ezzo lately.  It's a bit spicier, but I cut it paper-thin in the food processor, so it adds just the right amount of flavor.  Costco also carries an unsliced pepperoni called Carando, which is similar to Wilson and Hormel.

I get around this problem by putting the pepperoni on a plate lined with paper towel, and zapping it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  The grease leaches out of the pepperoni and is soaked up by the paper towel.  When you put it on the pizza, the pepperoni toasts up much crispier and the pizza is less greasy.  :chef:
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »
 :o

The grease on pizza is the best part!!!!

;D :pizza:
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2006, 09:35:27 AM »
I use Fio's approach when I am making a low-fat version (lower sat fat) of a deep-dish pie, along with pre-cooking and draining sausage. But I have found that if I go beyond about 12-15 seconds in my microwave the pepperoni slices become crispy and almost burnt. They taste great but may not be what you want for deep-dish. They will be safer there however under the sauce, but much less so on top of a standard pie.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2006, 12:04:39 PM »
Is anyone using a diced pepperoni under the cheese or in the sauce? I've mostly seen this done in a Chicago style.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »
Lydia,

I haven't personally tried it but I know that there are several meat purveyors that sell diced pepperoni to pizza operators. Some of them use the diced pepperoni to fill in the gaps between regular pepperoni slices when a patron orders "extra" pepperoni. Some operators, such as Boston's, the Canadian-based pizza chain, routinely use both forms on one of their pepperoni pizzas.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2006, 02:03:23 PM »
I finally came across the Hormel whole link pepperoni, comes with 2 sticks.

This pepperoni had a great flavor, I thought the spice profile was perfectly balanced.

It is spicer, more flavorful and not as greasy as the Hormel store packaged sliced pepperonis. I detected no smoke flavoring and it wasn't listed as an ingredient. I still wouldn't call this a "spicey" pepperoni just "very good flavor".

Only drawbacks; I cant get it in bulk and I have to slice it myself.

I use the Hormel presliced version for my Dad who cant handle any smoke flavoring and strong spices. It's very mild with good flavor.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 02:12:07 PM by Lydia »

pizzapan