Author Topic: reballing dough balls is the same as balling a bulk fermented dough  (Read 9233 times)

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
Re: reballing dough balls is the same as balling a bulk fermented dough
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »
As I commented in your other thread (same methods....different hydration!!!), I have been very pleased with the subtle yet beneficial effect reballing has had on my pizzas. I had actually neglected doing it for a while when I was adjusting other things in my dough recipe, but when I found myself with one container of dough unused for over a week and full of large gas bubbles I thought I'd try the reball again. I reballed 24 hrs. prior to use and it resulted in a pizza dough that was lightly crisp on the surface and tender on the inside. My wife, who doesn't like the outer crust and usually leaves the "bones" for the dog (me) said "I like the crust!".

Whatever technical reason is behind it, reballing does seem to improve the texture of the crust. I'm glad I tried it!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
Now, try shortening the amount of time from balling to bake and see the changes.  I'm finding 3 to 5 hours is optimal for my tastes.

John

Offline communist

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »
I made my routine All Trumps 14% 63% hydration cold ferment 2 day dough, with 4 balls.  Four hours before bake time, I reballed one ball.  When it came time to spread dough to thickness factor of .07, I was able to get the first 3 balls to 16 inch circle required.  The reballed ball fought me tooth and nail.  I gave up at 14 inches.  Dough definitely more puffy, with maybe some more airy-ness.  Not sure how much is due to thicker dough.  Does anyone do reballing with really small thickness factors like .07?  Mark

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »
I had an interesting reballing experience last night.  The nice weather is here in MI, so I rolled the WFO out of the garage and fired it a few times this week to makes sure it was roaring and ready to go for last nights pizza night.  I made a pretty standard 24hr room temperature caputo based dough at 60% hydration with 3% salt.  I used cake yeast, and upped the percentage from my usual 0.1% to 0.25% because the yeast was a bit old and I wanted a bit more active fermentation then I've gotten the last few times with this yeast.  I also balled the dough right after kneading.  I've really liked the dough I've made this way for my steel plate pizza, so I decided to see how it worked for neapolitan.  When I got home yesterday the dough was highly fermented, looked like what you see from Keste.  I decided to reball one of the dough balls for comparison and was very happy I did.  The reballed dough cooked 100% different then the others.  It began to leopard nearly the second it hit the oven, and ended up with that hyper leoparded look I've heard some call "small pox".  The rest of the pies had a nice moderate level of leoparding for comparison sake. 
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
Good to hear about your results.  I've always felt that gluten strength is one of the factors that leads to hyper leoparding or small pox.  That plus high heat, and a well fermented dough will get you there.  I call those typhoid fever pies.  :-D  Got any pictures of it?

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »
Interesting. I make NY style pies and always ball right after mixing and not again. On my next pizza night I'm gonna try reballing one ball of dough and see what the results are.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:05 AM »
I had an interesting reballing experience last night.  The nice weather is here in MI, so I rolled the WFO out of the garage and fired it a few times this week to makes sure it was roaring and ready to go for last nights pizza night.  I made a pretty standard 24hr room temperature caputo based dough at 60% hydration with 3% salt.  I used cake yeast, and upped the percentage from my usual 0.1% to 0.25% because the yeast was a bit old and I wanted a bit more active fermentation then I've gotten the last few times with this yeast.  I also balled the dough right after kneading.  I've really liked the dough I've made this way for my steel plate pizza, so I decided to see how it worked for neapolitan.  When I got home yesterday the dough was highly fermented, looked like what you see from Keste.  I decided to reball one of the dough balls for comparison and was very happy I did.  The reballed dough cooked 100% different then the others.  It began to leopard nearly the second it hit the oven, and ended up with that hyper leoparded look I've heard some call "small pox".  The rest of the pies had a nice moderate level of leoparding for comparison sake. 
Jeff
Thanks for sharing your observation.  You said you were happy you reballed one dough.  Were you happy enough that you would purposely use this method the next time???  I haven't tried this with neapolitan, but I think the results are dramatic with my doughs.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 08:39:47 AM »
Interesting. I make NY style pies and always ball right after mixing and not again. On my next pizza night I'm gonna try reballing one ball of dough and see what the results are.

Please, please post your results with pictures if you can...along with detailed differences in your pizzas.

Thanks
John

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
Please, please post your results with pictures if you can...along with detailed differences in your pizzas.

Thanks
John

I probably won't be making pizza again until next weekend but I will try to remember to give reballing a try.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014