Author Topic: PizzaTown!  (Read 772 times)

Offline hotsawce

PizzaTown!
« on: August 20, 2015, 08:50:30 AM »
Went to PizzaTown in Elmhurst NJ around 10pm on a Monday night. Got a killer fried calzone and awesome pizza. Crust was crisp and had a very moist crumb. Even though I think there are some things that could be better (ie too much cheese,) it's a prime example of great NY pizza. If I could tweaked a few things to my liking, with the bake time it's exactly what I want in a NY pizza.

Even better, I timed the bake of two pies. Right under 5 minutes on the dot for each in the Baker's Pride. The stopwatch is a bit off because I timed two pies at the same time... Started when first one went in stopped when last one came out. Both in quick succession in different spots of the oven, so I know this isn't a "one off" bake. (Though I seem to rember some forum members telling me this wasn't possible and not typical of NY pizzas...)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:57:33 AM by hotsawce »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: PizzaTown!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:47:40 PM »
Looks good, though rather different than some of the other NY slices. How would you compare this to Williamsburg? (Other than PT having more cheese.)

Thanks
Matt

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:46:42 PM »
It's very much like a typical NY slice. Primary difference is the tomatoes used (whole peeled crushed in juice) and sliced part-skim mozzarella (rather than shredded.) it makes the slice a little wetter and the cheese melt is different, but very much in the same realm.

I have to say the crust was outstanding. If I could put williamsburg pizzas tomatoes and cheese on that crust it would be the perfect slice maybe.

I can't speak to how consistent pizza town is, but I got a 4.5 minute bake and it showed in the crust. I've been to wburg more than a few times, and only on a coupl of occasions have they baked in that window. That was when it was at its best, but its a totally different pie during a dinner rush. its a fixable problem, but I don't know if they entirely "get" why their slice is amazing sometimes.

On the other hand, the pizza town owner was well aware he was crankin his oven hot and told me so. He knows it's essential for a good pie.

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:55:05 PM »
What is a 5 minute bake? 650 degrees?
Is the sauce just tomato? In the video with the woman assembling the pie it looks like it goes tomato, then a pinch of some grated cheese, and a pinch of oregano or black pepper. I assume oregano? Is the cheese parm?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:00:36 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
I don't know if there was grated cheese. I do know there was oregano. Either is pretty typical of a NY slice. 4.5 minute bake is time it took to cool the pizza. I was told at 650f.

What is a 5 minute bake? 650 degrees?
Is the sauce just tomato? In the video with the woman assembling the pie it looks like it goes tomato, then a pinch of some grated cheese, and a pinch of oregano or black pepper. I assume oregano? Is the cheese parm?

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
I don't know if there was grated cheese. I do know there was oregano. Either is pretty typical of a NY slice. 4.5 minute bake is time it took to cool the pizza. I was told at 650f.

The video is one I've seen posted here from Craig and others. Sliced mozz doesn't look like as much as your recent pie.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:35:32 AM by invertedisdead »

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »
Does doing the sauce like that result in any sogginess?
Charles

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
Does doing the sauce like that result in any sogginess?

It seems like when it's thin like that it spreads evenly outward instead of sauce piling on top of more sauce. Lately my Cento crushed tomatoes are so thick they are almost a pasty. I think sogginess would mostly depend on toppings and just getting it into the oven quickly.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 10:42:49 PM »
Looks very  similar to my favorite NY style pie in Jersey. Pizza Town on Rt 46 Elmwood Park NJ ?
many posts on here with regard to that great slice joint and they do calzones too !
cool flashback  I was there for that video and that's larry the zaman in the window looking on that was one of our crawls with my craig and co we hit Vesta after that,

John
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:45:09 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:36:24 PM »
Very interesting to watch her..so fluid! What kind of cheese is that thick-sliced cheese she's  applying?  Maybe I'm using the wrong kind of mozzarella., or not prepping it right. That looks quite dry, where mine..either from a small grocery store package, or sliced at the deli counter is much more soft/moist.

Offline communist

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »
Love Pizzatown.  Sent there years ago by Scott123.  The cheese is not thickly sliced, but on the thin side.  Probably Grande whole milk, but will check the dumpster next time there.  Fast bake 4 minute NY pie at its best.  The only way to get a thin NY slice with a puffy, airy crumb.

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »
If its oregano and not black pepper, which I assume, she puts quite a bit on each pie. The pies are large but I don't usually put that much in a whole can of sauce. Maybe I will try doubling the oregano.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »
At least some people "get it." That quick bake makes a lot of difference! I was amazed to see a moist crumb in the cornicione when I ate it. Literally mind blown... A perfectly crisp chewy pliable crust and inside was fluffy light and moist.

The cheese is part skim to my knowledge.

Love Pizzatown.  Sent there years ago by Scott123.  The cheese is not thickly sliced, but on the thin side.  Probably Grande whole milk, but will check the dumpster next time there.  Fast bake 4 minute NY pie at its best.  The only way to get a thin NY slice with a puffy, airy crumb.