Author Topic: Lee's Tavern and Denino's Staten Island  (Read 549 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Lee's Tavern and Denino's Staten Island
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:49:38 PM »
Lee's Tavern and Denino's Staten Island

I decided to go on a Pizza Tour, visit with my daughter and family last week, and also try some new pizzerias.  These are the photos that were taken at Lee's Tavern and Denino's.

My daughter and family live in Staten Island.  My daughter, granddaughter, grandson and me went to Lee's Tavern Thursday evening after we went to an Italian Supermarket in Staten Island.  The Italian supermarket was fantastic and I wish it was nearer to where I live.  I purchased some Semola Di Grano Duro Rimacinata at the market and a few other things.  I would have purchased more at the Italian Supermarket but I didn't have enough room in my luggage to bring more home.

Lee's Tavern was packed full when we arrived.  I got to watch the pizza makers in the kitchen, and saw how they make their pies.  We waited an hour and a half inside Lee's Tavern before we ever got a table.  Two kind families that were ahead of us said we could have the next available table because we had small children with us.  We took the train to the supermarket and Lee's Tavern.  The Staten Island train runs above ground.  Lee's Tavern pizza was very good and different.  We took one pizza pepperoni pizza back to my daughter's apartment.

We went to Denino's yesterday in the late afternoon.  Denino's is a very big restaurant/pizzeria.  The sausage pizza we had their also was very good.  My daughter, her boyfriend, the two children and I went on the bus to Denino's.

I left Reading to go on the bus to NYC at 6:00 Am Thursday morning and then got the train and Staten Island Ferry to get to my daughter's apartment.  I stayed with them until today. 

I will post more about the Pizza Tour I went on in another thread and also about the Italian supermarket later on this thread.  I only had about 8 hrs. sleep since Wednesday night.

I loved the pizzas and whole trip a lot.  This was the first time I got to meet my granddaughter.  There was dim lighting in Lee's Tavern so it was hard to get good photos.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:26:02 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Lee's Tavern and Denino's Staten Island
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:53:35 PM »
The photos in this post and the last post were from Lee's Tavern.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 06:59:29 PM »
Denino's

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:08:45 PM »
Everyone at Lee's Tavern and Denino's were so friendly.  At Denino's that put us in the back room so we had room for the baby coach, but that room quickly filled up.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:11:29 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
I took a cab to the Staten Island Ferry this morning to go over to Manhattan, and then got the R train to Times Square.  I was walking a couple of blocks to get to Port Authority where I take the bus to Reading, Pa.  Along the way there were people drawing Caricatures for $5.00.  I stopped and watched for a little while.  I saw one man was really good at drawing Caricatures.  I then asked him if he could somehow draw a Caricature of me holding a pizza.  I think he did a great job in capturing what I would like to look like holding a NY style pizza.  I sure look a lot better in the Caricature than I do in person.  I even got a body change, which is a good thing.  :-D  I couldn't believe how fast the man was at drawing the Caricature.   I asked him to sign his name on the Caricature and said I would frame it and hang it at my pizza stand at market.  Of course I gave the artist more than $5.00.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:40:42 PM by norma427 »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
looks like you had a great time this weekend Norma
Deb

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »
looks like you had a great time this weekend Norma

Deb,

Yes, I had a great time.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 05:36:16 AM »
My family and I took the bus to Denino's.  After we got off the bus we had to walked about 15 minutes to get to Denino's.  If anyone is interested on  Denino's website you can go behind the scenes and see what it takes to make a Denino's pizza. http://www.deninos.com/our-pie-process.html  Denino's history:   http://www.deninos.com/history.html Denino's main website.  http://www.deninos.com/index.html If the main website is read it says this.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of Carlo Denino's passing.
I do not believe that my husband ever imagined that adding pizza to the menu of the original Denino's Tavern would be such a terrific hit.

On our walk to Denino's right before we got there we smelled wonderful breads smells.  At first we thought the smells were coming from Denino's.  I had seen a Melone Brothers Bakery bread truck parked along the curb but didn't see any bakery in sight.  All we saw was a building that had strips of plastic at one place along the side of the sidewalk.  My daughter peeked inside and said she saw breads and bagels inside.  We then asked some men near the building where the bread could be purchased.  The one man said you just go inside where the plastic strips were.  When we got inside the bread smells were fantastic.  We purchased some bagels and bread rolls.  After we purchased them and tasted the bread rolls we purchased more. Some of the bread rolls were still hot.  The bagels and bread products were reasonable in price.  After we passed Melone Brothers Bakery we saw the sign that said it was a bakery.  These are the photos from the bakery.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:39:22 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 05:38:33 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
I took the bus from Reading, Pa. to NYC.  It only costs $ 62.00 round trip from Reading to NYC.  I then took the subway train to the Staten Island Ferry.  The Staten Island Ferry takes about 25 minutes to get to Staten Island from Manhattan.   It is a nice ride where you get to see the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and many other things.  Since the Staten Island Ferry is free and is a nice ride if any members are ever in the area.  I couldn't believe how many people the Staten Island Ferry can hold.  I was way back in the big lines and I easily got on the ferry.  The ferries run every 15 minutes.  They have security dogs and they do sniff your luggage and backpacks sometimes.

My daughter, my grandchildren and I ate at a bagel and sandwich shop not far from the ferry in Staten Island.  I didn't realize that Staten Island had so many hills.  We walked all uphill to get to my daughter's apartment.  We then talked a little.  I had wanted to go to La Bella Marketplace supermarket since I saw online that they sell the Divella Semola Di Grano duro Rimacinata online.  We walked back down the hill and took the train that runs above ground.  The train is right near where you get on the Staten Island Ferry.  That is the only train that runs in Staten Island.  It runs one straight route.  We googled where we wanted to go first.  My daughter never took that train, so wouldn't you know we took an express train and it didn't stop near La Bella Marketplace.  We didn't even know an express train existed in Staten Island.  We then backtracked and did get to La Bella Marketplace.  :-D It is a big Italian supermarket with so many different Italian foods.  I wish I would have had more room in my luggage to bring more things home.  I would have loaded up on many Italian things I never saw before.  The flour I wanted was only $1.99 per bag.  I never saw so many fresh pastas and other pasta in one place.  These are some photos of La Bella Marketplace and other photos taken the same day.  After we left the supermarket we went to Lee's Tavern.  Again we took an express train and it didn't stop where we wanted.  Another backtrack to get to Lee's Tavern.  :-D There are lots of steps at each stop so lugging a baby coach up and down all those steps is a challenge.  I don't understand why, but the first two stops right off of the Staten Island Ferry for the train do cost the regular price of train ride that is the same as riding the subway system in NYC.  The other stops are free to get on and off.  I think there was one other stop that it also costs money to board, but am not sure if it was Nassau or not.  I talked to a lady when getting on a train from Union Square to Staten Island and she told me all about how to avoid costs to park and what she does to get to her job in Manhattan each day and back.  I sure wouldn't want to go through all of that hassle each day to go back and forth to a job.  Many people from NYC do though.

I understand why I really liked the Stracciatella that I tried on a boardwalk style pizza yesterday that was purchased at La Bella Marketplace.  I thought I heard the word Stracciatella before but couldn't recall where I had heard it.  It was from the Caputo Brothers when I went to that mozzarella making demostration.  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/dining/a-mozzarella-treat-to-make-at-home.html?_r=0  That is where that good tang and creaminess came from.  http://oldwayspt.org/community/blog/mozzarella-di%E2%80%A8-bufala-and-stracciatella-di-bufala

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 08:13:01 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »
Norma

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 09:53:57 AM »
I wish that store was near me!!
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
^^^

Nothing like that around here.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 03:10:11 PM »
One more thing to add to this thread.  Almost right across the street from Denino's was Ralph's.  I never saw so many flavors to choose from.  The waitress we had at Denino's recommended that we go over to Ralph's for dessert.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 03:13:46 PM »
^^^

Nothing like that around here.

^^^  My oldest daughter might be going to my youngest daughters home in September.  I am already thinking of what I want from La Bella Marketplace.  I know she won't want to bring a lot home, but at least she is driving to Staten Island.

Norma

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »
I took a cab to the Staten Island Ferry this morning to go over to Manhattan, and then got the R train to Times Square.  I was walking a couple of blocks to get to Port Authority where I take the bus to Reading, Pa.  Along the way there were people drawing Caricatures for $5.00.  I stopped and watched for a little while.  I saw one man was really good at drawing Caricatures.  I then asked him if he could somehow draw a Caricature of me holding a pizza.  I think he did a great job in capturing what I would like to look like holding a NY style pizza.  I sure look a lot better in the Caricature than I do in person.  I even got a body change, which is a good thing.  :-D  I couldn't believe how fast the man was at drawing the Caricature.   I asked him to sign his name on the Caricature and said I would frame it and hang it at my pizza stand at market.  Of course I gave the artist more than $5.00.

Norma

Slightly off topic... When traveling through Italy, my wife and I were shopping at the grocery store and bought a reusable grocery bag. We have the habit of anthropomorphizing everything, so when I asked her what the character's name was, she thought for a second then claimed, "Norma"... She doesn't know anything about the different users on the pizza making forum, and I'm not sure I see a striking resemblance, but thought you might find a kindred spirit in this..
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline jkb

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »
I wonder why they had to throw out all that dough? :D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 10:54:34 AM »
Slightly off topic... When traveling through Italy, my wife and I were shopping at the grocery store and bought a reusable grocery bag. We have the habit of anthropomorphizing everything, so when I asked her what the character's name was, she thought for a second then claimed, "Norma"... She doesn't know anything about the different users on the pizza making forum, and I'm not sure I see a striking resemblance, but thought you might find a kindred spirit in this..

Serotiny,

Thanks for posting the photo on your reusable grocery bag.  That looks just like me.  ;D I did find a kindred spirit in what you posted.   :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
I wonder why they had to throw out all that dough? :D

jkb,

From what my eyes could see I thought that big container was semolina, or something similar.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »
After thinking over the pizzas I ate at Lee's Tavern and Denino's, I now think they were something like a De Lorenzo's pizza in Robbinsville, but a little different.  The cheese is applied first and then the sauce, just like De Lorenzo's.  The sauce and cheese on both pizzerias pies were in perfect balance.  I liked the bottom crust at Denino's better because it was perfectly browned and a little crisper.  It makes me wonder what is a true NY style pie now since both pizzerias started making pizzas a long time ago.  I saw at Lee's Tavern about how much cheese and sauce was applied.  It didn't look like a lot to me.  The rim crusts on both pizzas weren't really risen a lot, in comparison to how some NY style pizzas are here on the forum.  The rim crusts also were more crunchy or cracker like when eaten.  The slices at both pizzerias could be folded.  I think it is interesting how differently we think of NY style pizzas here on the forum.  I wanted to go to Joe and Pat's in Staten Island to compare their pizzas, but I didn't make it there because of time constraints.  I heard Joe and Pat's also makes  very good pizzas.

Norma