Author Topic: Mozzarella di Bufala  (Read 4066 times)

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
Mozzarella di Bufala
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:07:10 PM »
Anyone tried this?  If you get it next day what would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 (10 being buying a ball in the morning in Battipaglia)

http://www.mozzarelladibufala.net/mozzarella.htm

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Mozzarella di Bufala
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 08:20:51 PM »
Sumeri, I asked a similar question recently as to wether people thought the American brands of Buffalo Mozzarella were as good as the Italian ones, and the answer was no. 

I had read so many reports about how fast the Buffalo mozzarella deteriorated that I was pleasantly surprised to find that the cheese in Naples and Sorrento did not seem any fresher or better than what I have found in my local Italian Specialty Store.  It was much more expensive for sure, but you are paying for international shipping after all.

I wish I could say the same for canned tomatoes.....see my next post.

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 08:56:08 PM »
Here's a farm in Vermont that makes and sells Mozzarella di Bufala. I have not tried it yet but have been told that it is very good

http://www.woodstockwaterbuffalo.com/store/shopping.shtml[url]
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline nahu123

• Supporting Member
  • Margarita stands alone
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:20:47 PM »
Here in San Diego, Costco sells a fresh Buffalo mozzarella that is very good.  It comes in three small containers, each with about 8 - 10 oz of cheese.  Packed in water and sealed to prevent contamination, it has a soft texture and a terrific consistency.  I have been using it for several months now, most recently on my pizza's, to great results.  I'll send another post this evening with the details.

Kevin

Offline nahu123

• Supporting Member
  • Margarita stands alone
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 10:10:14 PM »
Sorry - I spoke too soon. The fresh mozz from Costco is a whole milk mozzarella, not a Buffalo. I do have to say, compared to some of the poor samples of the real thing I've gotten in the Italian specialty market here, the Costco brand tastes great and is really fresh. That aside, I have had the true nirvana experience in Italy. We made a point of ordering Caprese salads nearly everywhere we went to compare and contrast.

Okay, back to good old San Diego. Here's the info for the Costco cheese:
Cantare
Fresh Whole Milk Mozzarella
3-Pack Container, 2 ovoline, 1 ciliegine, 10 oz. each
$7.29

Kevin

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 11:52:59 PM »
I have  become so addicted to the imported buffalo mozzarella that I am finding it hard to go back to regular processed cheese, or even fresh cows mild cheese and still be happy.  My wife is in the same boat.  Has anyone else had this to happen to them?

I was surprised when I talked to the owner of a popular local pizzeria that offers buffalo mozzarella as an option. He told me that they sell almost no buffalo at all.  This is even though the up charge is the same as any other topping (additional 2.00 a pie), which I consider to be very reasonable.

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 01:56:13 AM »
I have yet to find any imported bufala that still tastes anything like it did when it was fresh.  By the time it gets to the west coast it is mushy and has a real chemical taste to it.  I did order some from Bubulas (Northern California), it is, by far, the best cheese I have ever tasted outside of Italy.  While there is nothing like eating a ball of bufala that was just made that morning in Napoli or Battipaglia, Bubulas is as close as I have ever tasted here in the states.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 09:18:30 AM »
For those in the Boston area,, Sessa's in Davis Sq. Somerville gets a fresh batch flown in each week. If you can get it near the day it arrives it is pretty good.

Salumeria in the North End also has some, but it is more expensive

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 11:04:15 AM »
ebpizza, I feel like a total jerk saying this stuff, so I want you to understand that I know I probably just had some really bad luck.  I understand that just like favorite pizza places everybody has their own experiences and there is no right or wrong here but........

I called Sessa's last week asking about how often, and when they get in their buffalo moz.  The lady on the phone said that there is no set schedule for their shipments.  When pressed she admitted that they did not get it in every week, and that they just order it as needed, so there was no way for me to know what day I could come in to buy it in its freshest state.   I stopped by to get some later that day.  I am really not exaggerating here when I tell you that it was absolute soup.  Totally sour, and as mushy as pudding.  Not only that, it was a dollar more per package than it cost at Salumeria Italiana for the same size ball! This cheese ended up unusable, although I did try.   I don't know if you are aware of this, but I think Salumeria Italiana charges less in the store than they do on the website, so this might be why you think it is cheaper at Sessa's.  One thing I can say is that Sessa's had possibly the best selection of tomatoes I have ever seen, although, like the cheese, many of the cans seemed old and some were even rusty.

Every time I have ever bought buffalo Mozzarella from Salumeria Italiana it has been totally firm and fresh. This cheese has been so fresh that I have even on occasion not used it all, and come back to my leftovers a week later to find it still firm and usable (unlike Sessa's on the first day).  My initial post asking about if buffalo mozzarella was supposed to be sour was only because I did not know what to expect.  I know I have mentioned this before, but after my visit to Sorrento/Naples/Amalfi/Positano, I came to realize that this cheese (Mandara brand) at Salumeria Italiana tastes the way it should.

I did find another store, actually my favorite Italian specialty store, in Union sq. Somerville Massachucetts.  They sell the same brand buffalo mozzarella as Sessa's for two dollars less a package, and it seems to be much fresher.  Since I have just recently found the store I still don't know if they are consistently as fresh as the cheese at Salumeria Italiana, but this place, Capone foods is really amazing for many other reasons.  You might want to check it out.  They have website, and will ship anywhere, plus they sell repackaged smaller bags of Caputo Pizzeria flour as well.  The selection of olive oils there is truly amazing, and the owner is the most passionate foodie I have ever met.  They make all their own pastas, plus they have a cool ultra gourmet like of frozen foods prepared in house that could be served at the most expensive find dining establishments and fool the patrons.  Most importantly I think the prices  at Capone foods seem very low when compared to their competition.  I did not ask how much the small bags of Caputo Pizzeria flour cost (they looked like 5 pound bags), but I am assuming it is a fair price.  I don't think they are on the website, but you can call and ask about them at 617-629-2296.  The website is www.caponefoods.com

I understand I might have had a freak accident at Sessa's, but it was an unfortunate first experience.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 11:25:53 AM by scott r »

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 01:58:21 PM »
hey scott:

thanks for the info about Caponefoods. I will check it out.

The last time I had the mozzarella di Bufala from Sessa's it seemed fine, maybe things have changed since I last purchased it last winter.

ebpizza

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 02:03:48 PM »
I have been to Capone's on several occasions while visiting MA over the past several years. It was before I became more intense about pizza ingredients, but my recollection is that their merchandize was of very good quality. One of their items that I liked (and even gave as Xmas gifts to others) was balsamic vinegar which, for its age, was very reasonably priced.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 09:54:50 AM »
One of the best food related things I have picked up in a long while is this bottle of Merlot wine vinegar that they sell at Capone foods.  This stuff is liquid heaven.  I have always kept a decent selection of vinegars around the house for dressings, marinades, and the like.  My favorite has also been a high quality balsamic, but I am a converted man......at least for a while.

Offline Elior

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »
well here in israel there is a local producting of this kind of cheese and i must say that the taste is 10 times better than the normal one
the price of the bufelo here is 2 times more expansive than the normal one
the regular (18usd for kg instad of 9)

anyway adding cheese to the pizza wasnt so popular a long time ago, cuz it was expansive

Smart