Author Topic: Idea/s for the perfect home oven pizza  (Read 1698 times)

Offline FeCheF

Idea/s for the perfect home oven pizza
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »
So awhile back i modified my home ovens clean cycle to run anytime. Its electric and i use a 1 inch corderite pizza stone. It can get up way past 700F pretty quickly from 500F. I usually start throwing the pizza's in when it reaches above 650F and what usually happens is the rim starts to char before the cheese slightly browns. What im thinking of doing is preheat the stone to 550F (highest normal bake will go) then switch to clean cycle till stone reaches 700-800F. Then switch to broil and crack open door till top element gets red then insert pie until the cheese starts bubbling and slightly browns. My theory is that the oven temp will go down quickly but the stone will still retain 700+ so the bottom will cook quickly, and the top element will brown the cheese quicker so the rim has less chance to char before the cheese browns.

What do you all think, and if anyone has any good ideas let me know.

Please note that i have been using my ovens clean cycle for pizza for almost a year and theres no electrical modifications so its fairly safe.

I forgot to mention my cook times are usually 3-4 minutes depending on toppings. And I use a IR heat gun to monitor oven/stone temps.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:27:12 AM by FeCheF »

Offline pp8082

Re: Idea/s for the perfect home oven pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »
Hi, can you please tell me where you go your 1 inch stone?

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
Hi, can you please tell me where you go your 1 inch stone?

I got it at "the restaurant store". Its American Metalcraft PS1575 Round Pizza Baking Stone. Its listed as 7/8" but i measured 1" with my T-square.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:07:17 AM »
I think your plan may work - it is all a balancing act of bottom heat ( stone ) and top heat ( broiler element )  I can get my stone up to about 700, and find a 3 to 3 1/2 minutes is enough to get char on the bottom.  If you want less char, you might want to turn on the broiler element when the stone is at 650.  Good luck and post your results.

Offline denrayr

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
So awhile back i modified my home ovens clean cycle to run anytime. Its electric and i use a 1 inch corderite pizza stone. It can get up way past 700F pretty quickly from 500F. I usually start throwing the pizza's in when it reaches above 650F and what usually happens is the rim starts to char before the cheese slightly browns. What im thinking of doing is preheat the stone to 550F (highest normal bake will go) then switch to clean cycle till stone reaches 700-800F. Then switch to broil and crack open door till top element gets red then insert pie until the cheese starts bubbling and slightly browns. My theory is that the oven temp will go down quickly but the stone will still retain 700+ so the bottom will cook quickly, and the top element will brown the cheese quicker so the rim has less chance to char before the cheese browns.

What do you all think, and if anyone has any good ideas let me know.

Please note that i have been using my ovens clean cycle for pizza for almost a year and theres no electrical modifications so its fairly safe.

I forgot to mention my cook times are usually 3-4 minutes depending on toppings. And I use a IR heat gun to monitor oven/stone temps.

This is about how I do my pizzas. I preheat my oven to 650 for an hour, switch to broil, throw in the pizza. The broiler gives the pizza better lift and the top browns more evenly. After about a minute, I switch back to bake or things get too brown. This method produces a three minute pizza. 

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
I have been getting inconsistent results with this method. I find some of my doughs brown more then others, some dont brown at all. I have only been able to get consistent results with same day doughs but im looking for more complex flavors you get from 2-5 day cold fermented doughs. Recently i tried and followed to a T peters 5 day papa johns dough recipe and the flavor and workability of the dough was the best ive ever had, but i got barely any browning of the crust.

Things like this remind me that i have alot to learn still.

pizzapan