Author Topic: Pizza My Heart, Tony Gemignani win top prizes...  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Pizza My Heart, Tony Gemignani win top prizes...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »
I'll be in SF and Oakland next week, I'm hoping to make it to Tony's. After Tartine that is...fingers crossed.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »
I went to his seminars Met Tony and Chatted with him for a bit what a great Guy!! here is Tony serving the winning Tre Forni pie! I was there for the competition. Last shot shows the cooking/show/stadium  area and the 3 ovens he used. You can see The Judges including  our own Tom Lehman the "Dough Doctor"  (thats him in the Red shirt) struggling with a  very tough decsion  
The Pizza My heart guys really dominated the acrobatics as well I will post some vids amazing stuff!!
what a show!! a great trip!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:24:23 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
Tony makes a very good pie.  I happened by his restaurant with my family a week ago, had a couple of pies, then came back the next day for another couple of pies.  One of the customers sitting next to me the first day insisted that we order a New Yorker.  I was reluctant because it wasn't my style and it certainly wasn't my wife's nor my daughter's style either, but he insisted.  We couldn't put it down.  I'd like to write that I sampled all his pies including the "Americana-style" which is more my style ... but I didn't.  On that second day, we all agreed, two big New Yorkers.

It might be amusing to some that I found Tony's by walking along a bunch of streets.  SF has a lot of pie places and I looked at every one I passed.  I wasn't impressed.  Then we walked by Tony's and I saw a couple of pies and thought 'this guy knows how to make pizza' (thick, thin, wood-fired, coal, whatever.).  It was packed and we couldn't get in, so we came back the next day just as it opened for lunch.  There were probably 20 or more in line when we arrived, but fortunately got seated.  After tying the pies, I checked Yelp thinking it must be the top rank in SF.  Not so, according to Yelp it was #8.  (I've seen this a few times lately where I think somebody is stacking the ranking list on Yelp.)  That night I searched the pizza forum and saw that others tasted what we tasted.  Tony makes a good pie.

On the second visit I did get to chat with Tony a bit.  (Somebody told him I was a wacko-pizzaforum-guy.)  Tony was busy throwing pies, but was still quite friendly.

Bugger, now I've got to up my game.

Dave

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:40:14 PM »
One of the best Margherita pies I've had.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:42:41 AM »
I ate at a pizza-my-heart in Capitola, down by the beach.  It was good.  There was no acrobatics going on just a deck oven and a pizza peel. We ordered by the slice.  They have the pizza by the slice on the counter, and when you order they toss the slice back into the deck oven for a minute to crisp it up.  Never had one of Tony's pie's.  Next time I'm in SF i'll try to make it by.

pizzapan