Author Topic: White, undercooked crust  (Read 2784 times)

Offline FeCheF

Re: White, undercooked crust
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 12:15:31 AM »

This sort of celiac pizza will not brown.  At 500 degrees your pizza will look more like a soft, Italian inspired quesadilla.

That actually sounds yummy in a "im hungry for italian and mexican tonight" kinda way

I think ive had a few doughs end up like what you described smelling a bit sour with little rise and not brown very much at all. Luckily my oven cooks at over 700F so they came out atleast edible.

Offline Timedog

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:03 AM »
Hopefully so.  And I wish you all the luck.  But let me be even more clear.

Based on what you have typed here, your main problem is that your starter absolutely sucks.  It's too weak.  Not appropriate for baking with.  Just top your pizza with Warheads if that's what you want.

Especially with KA flour, your feeding schedule should be frequent and generously proportioned.  Your starter should smell clean, with a faint aroma of alcohol and that's about it.  It should *not* smell sour, junky or funky in any way.  This state can take weeks to build up to (though not necessarily), and if you don't bake a lot it can be a real pain to maintain compared to the ease of IDY.  But only after then is your starter ready for use.

If you try and pull off a long cold ferment with an immature starter, your baked product will turn out to be sour, gummy, dense and totally safe for even the worst celiac patient because all of your gluten will get wiped out by bacterial activity.  Does sour and sticky sound very familiar to you?  Do you like gluten free pizza?  Because that's what you're making.

This sort of celiac pizza will not brown.  At 500 degrees your pizza will look more like a soft, Italian inspired quesadilla.

You described it pretty accurately. I'm probably not feeding it enough. Where do you learn all this stuff anyway?  :P

Offline David Deas

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 07:10:26 AM »
Because I'm the dough nurse.  Obviously every doctor needs a nurse.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:15:31 AM by David Deas »

pizzapan