Author Topic: Hummingbird down.......very cool  (Read 1376 times)

Offline ringkingpin

Re: Hummingbird down.......very cool
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
He looks young but not baby young.

If you want him to survive, get him to a wildlife rehab center.   To begin with, what you're doing is illegal believe it or not.  It doesn't bother my but you better watch out, the bird police might come knocking, kinda like the VPN police might show up one day, lol.
I found a BABY hummer a couple years ago who was injured and I started doing the same thing you were doing.  It didn't take me very long to realize that these birds have to eat more than just sugar water.  My hunch was right, I contacted a licensed rescuer and I still remember her name, Karen Gorbitz from South Bend Indiana.  She had a german made mixture of dried bugs and different proteins, kept the bird for a couple of months while it's clavicle bones healed and then released it. 
That bird can't survive off of the sugar water alone, that would be like a human living off popsicles. 
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »
If you want him to survive, get him to a wildlife rehab center.
He said that she already flew away.

I'll bet she would have flown away on her own as the temperature increased and she came out of torpor. It was the hand holding that warmed her up. This is common this time of year in the North where the nights are still cold.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »
He looks young but not baby young.

If you want him to survive, get him to a wildlife rehab center.   To begin with, what you're doing is illegal believe it or not.  It doesn't bother my but you better watch out, the bird police might come knocking, kinda like the VPN police might show up one day, lol.
I found a BABY hummer a couple years ago who was injured and I started doing the same thing you were doing.  It didn't take me very long to realize that these birds have to eat more than just sugar water.  My hunch was right, I contacted a licensed rescuer and I still remember her name, Karen Gorbitz from South Bend Indiana.  She had a german made mixture of dried bugs and different proteins, kept the bird for a couple of months while it's clavicle bones healed and then released it. 
That bird can't survive off of the sugar water alone, that would be like a human living off popsicles. 

You are correct. I did call some places and they told me that as long as I was up to the task of feeding several times an hour to go for it. If not recovered in several hours or over nite that I could get some of the protein mix and further the care or bring it to them. After working 22 years in critical care I figured I could manage were things not to have worked out as well as they did. As it turned out it was probably a combination of a cool morning and knocked itself out flying into the garage door. Laying in the shade on cool concrete longer than what it did would probably have done it in or other critters or ants would have gotten to it. AND, I'm on vacation for a few weeks anyway so all was good!
Jon ;-)
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »
Sorry, I didn't catch that.

Yes, hummers are special little birds.  The one that we found, my wife actually saw on the side of the road and she kind of pushed it over to the side a little further and told me about it when I got home.  This little guy was TINY, like just the size of a good honey bee.  You could tell something was wrong because he'd flap his wings and just go in circles on the ground.  The bird lady said that it was likely from a car or from the wind from a car that passed by.  When I first called the bird lady, and I said I had a baby bird that needed her help, she told me she was fully booked and couldn't take anymore.  As soon as she found out it was a hummer she said "I'll be there in an hour." :)

I'm always amazed at how fearless hummers are and how aggressive they get with one another. 

Thanks for sharing...
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

pizzapan