Author Topic: No Triple Crown Possible This Year--Scratched  (Read 521 times)

Offline pizzablogger

No Triple Crown Possible This Year--Scratched
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Oy vey....say it ain't so!  :-\

I'll Have Another just scratched from the race tomorrow. Apparently a tendon injury.

Earlier this morning I heard they took him out for a trot around the track much earlier than usual and everything went well.

I went to my first Preakness at age 19 and went to 11 in a row....my body will never be the same from those sun decked intestinal boot camps of fortitude that the infield was, but I became a huge fan of horse racing. Our crew would get to "Old Hilltop" at 5:30 to 6:00 in the morning to get a spot early in line. They let people in and we would run across the infield while lugging incredibly heavy coolers stocked with ice and beer (Genesee Cream Ale, Genesee Bock and Mickey's Big Mouth) to get our annual spot right near the fence towards the finish line, with other friends straggling in later in the day to join us. Seeing and sharing stories and beers with people that we only saw once per year in the areas next to us. Drunk by 10:00 am. Relishing the beginning of another summer in Maryland. Excitedly learning to read the Racing Forum, placing bets and being close enough to not only see, but to hear and feel the sweat soaked horses stretch for the finish, muscles rippling from the effort and jockeys covered in dirt like some mad godlike ship captain steering straight into the white caps of an angry storm. Passing out by 1:00pm and waking up at 3:00, maybe completely sunburnt or drenched in rain to get up and get back to partying and wathcing the early races. The buildup for the Preakness late in the afternoon. The singing of "My Maryland" as the horses came out of the paddock and onto the track for the Preakness. I've waited avidly for a Triple Crown winner for some 24 years now.

Sunday Silence charging down the backstretch right in front of our spot on the fence to win the Preakness in my first year, but fail in the Belmont.  Silver Charm and Real Quiet charging past us on the stretch at our same spot on the fence at Preakness on back to back years only to come in second at the Belmont, the Real Quiet win the last of my Preakness infield days. The Real Quiet vs. Victory Gallop duel on the stretch of the Belmont being one of the most exciting, and dissapointing, sporting moments I have witnessed (and a great TV all...."IT's TOO CLOSE TO CALL!!!!")

Charismatic, War Emblem, the great story of Funny Cide and the roar of 100,000 at Belmont when the gates dropped and he couldn't seal the deal. Smarty Jones, as sure a thing as I have seen, being released too early by the jockey and gassing down the stretch, still finishing second. Big Brown, THE sure thing, running a perfect race and then not releasing for the stretch and not even finishing the race.

The freight train closing style of I'll Have Another appeared perfect for Belmont and to lock down the Triple Crown, finally. Vindication for years of tense excitement watching previous hopefuls. The anticipation of Spring and another chance.

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to be a Cubs fan. Agony.

It's just a horse race kid, stop bantering and get back to work! --K  :(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:12:15 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: No Triple Crown Possible This Year--Scratched
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »
I'll echo all of the above.  What a shame!  I was really hoping this was going to be THE year.

Great memories, great description, Kelly!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to be a Cubs fan. Agony.

I believe you have managed to come very close my friend. Great write up about your experiences!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
I won 5 bucks on your post, thanks!  A guy was here talking about the race while I was reading your post.  I bet him my  $500 to his 5 bucks that there would not be a Triple Crown winner.  He took it.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
Does anyone else see this as a potential business move?  11 straight horses have won the first two legs only to lose the third.  That lost third leg is bound to have huge impacts on a horses stud fees.  Although I think this horse would have won being a strong finisher, there was a major financial blow at stake if it lost.  Will being the horse that won the first two legs and was the favorite to in the third be a strategic middle ground between a triple crown winner's stud fee and another has been's?  I'm not in the horse business, but I have had much success breeding animals for competition in the past.  I know the "what if" factor this horse and it's offspring will now carry would suck me right in.

Maybe I'm just the ultimate conspiracy theorist, but this was my first thought when I heard the news.
-Jeff

pizzapan