Author Topic: what type of wood do you use?  (Read 701 times)

Offline pjt

• Lifetime Member
what type of wood do you use?
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Right now im using a wood from a local supplier who sells multiple types of woods, one is designated just for wood fired ovens, a number of pizza places in my area use them and i know they are good, well im down to my last logs and they are closed for the month of march, my question is what type of wood does every body else use?

Is any kiln dried wood acceptable? There are a couple of other reputable suppliers in my area, but they only sell kiln dried hard woods, they dont sort by wood species like my usual supplier does

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: what type of wood do you use?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:15:36 PM »
Right now im using a wood from a local supplier who sells multiple types of woods, one is designated just for wood fired ovens, a number of pizza places in my area use them and i know they are good, well im down to my last logs and they are closed for the month of march, my question is what type of wood does every body else use?

Is any kiln dried wood acceptable? There are a couple of other reputable suppliers in my area, but they only sell kiln dried hard woods, they dont sort by wood species like my usual supplier does

At WFO/Neapolitan temperatures and baking times, the species of hardwood doesn't make a bit difference. What you are looking for is well-seasoned hardwood which burns as hot as possible. I prefer wood that hasn't been exposed to pesticides, but I suspect anything toxic is destroyed in the combustion. All of my suppliers claim their cooking woods are pesticide free, but I'm dubious.

I buy a mixture of oak and pecan because that is what is plentiful in my area and it is also perfect for slow-smoking in my BBQ pit.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:18:43 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
When I have used wood fired ovens, we always just go find the cheapest hardwood available and use that.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »
What bill said. And make sure it's not pine or any other tree that contains sap.

Here's a useful list. http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:20:59 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »
I kiln dry my own ( well sort of)

If I have some wood that is not properly seasoned ( which as Bill pointed out is one of  the most important things to consider) I will put the "green" wood in the WFO the following day after a pizza party and let it season for a day or two in the oven at temps ranging around 300 to 400 degrees.  Works pretty good in a pinch. 

Scot

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »
I kiln dry my own ( well sort of)

If I have some wood that is not properly seasoned ( which as Bill pointed out is one of  the most important things to consider) I will put the "green" wood in the WFO the following day after a pizza party and let it season for a day or two in the oven at temps ranging around 300 to 400 degrees.  Works pretty good in a pinch. 

Scot

this, i must try, sir! thanks for sharing!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

pizzapan