Author Topic: Olive oil/ vegetable oil?  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Rene

• I Love Pizza!
Olive oil/ vegetable oil?
« on: September 01, 2005, 08:58:12 AM »
Hello all!! Another newbie question

Just how much of a difference does the oil type you use in your pizza dough recipie effect your texture ?overall taste etc

I've only used EVOO in my pizza dough recipies, but i see the pizza hut recipie calls for vegetable oil

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Olive oil/ vegetable oil?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 09:24:49 AM »
I have not noticed any texture change between the various types of oil I have tried (olive, corn, vegetable, canola), but I have noticed a difference in flavor.

piroshok

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 09:27:43 AM »
Honestly I think using EVOO is an overkill I will reserve for more delectable or finer foods 
I grew up with olive oil, good wine and good beef but as far as oils there was no other in my old country but that's my personal opinion. ;)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 09:58:51 AM »
I totally agree, the few times I used my fancy olive oil the flavor was too strong.  That is what prompted me to try vegetable, canola, and corn, but Steve's recommendation of the mild Classico has the perfect amount of flavor from what I have found.  I have since come to the conclusion that I prefer the texture of crusts with no oil at all, but I am usually cooking at 750-800.

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 02:23:41 PM »
In my experience olive oil burns a bit in deep dish pizzas, or can have a "burned" taste, so I use canola, which does not.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 02:37:41 PM »
Buzz

I'm having a bit of trouble accepting that the olive oil is burning and the canola oil isn't. Especially since olive oil has such a high smoke point and canola oil such a low one.

I understand your not saying it IS burning.
Anyone have any guesses about what might be going-on?

Maybe olive oil gone a bit rancid or just a poor tasting olive oil to start out with???

I'm not a fan of olive oil in the first place....I dont like the flavor...but have yet to try colvita (sp?)...which I belive is used by Olive Garden.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 02:49:20 PM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline paul260426

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 10:17:27 PM »
Well I know that there is a big difference between Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Reg. Olive Oil.  The Extra Virgin is definite overkill.

Offline buzz

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 09:55:16 AM »
Lydia--

I use  a good quality grocery store extra light olive oil (Carapelli, Philip Berio, etc.), but I've learned to rely on it for a hint of flavor, because it does burn (or taste burned) in my experience. It's never rancid. Refined canola oil and extra light OO have about the same smoke points, with the OO being slightly higher, but I have no idea whether or not this applies to baking (as opposed to deep frying, say).

I love olive oil!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 10:57:42 AM »
scott,

My recollection from posts by Marco and Settebello is that in Naples the predominant use of oils is seed oils, like sunflower oil and soybean oil. In good measure this appears to be because of mild flavors and lower cost. While you were in and around Naples did you observe this and, if so, what was your reaction? I know you are a big lover of EVOO.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 12:22:06 PM »
Yes, they were using seed oil's anywhere I could see the cans, or I asked.   With the amazing tomatoes/cheese they had in Naples, the seed oil on top did not really matter much.  Still the best pizza I have ever had in my life.

I would still suggest Rene use a mild oil IN here crust, but a high quality olive oil on TOP of the pizza is my favorite.

Offline pam

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 08:44:26 PM »
Buzz

I'm having a bit of trouble accepting that the olive oil is burning and the canola oil isn't. Especially since olive oil has such a high smoke point and canola oil such a low one.
[Not meaning to be disputatious, but that's only true if you're comparing the smoke points of unrefined canola oil to unrefined OO (EVOO) or refined canola oil to refined OO (Extra light): according to CookingforEngineers.com, the smoke point of EVOO is 320° F* while the smoke point of refined canola oil is 400°, so if you're comparing the smoke points of EVOO and refined canola oil, EVOO has a low smoke point and canola oil a high one.

* OliveOilSource.com lists the smoke point of EVOO between 320 and 425° F, depending on its acidity.

Anyone have any guesses about what might be going-on?
Most likely, it's impurities in the OO burning off.
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 10:42:06 PM »
Having read more about olive oil, I don't see much point in using extra-light "tasting" olive oil.  It seems to be overpriced vegetable oil (okay, olives are a fruit, but you get the point).  Extra-light seems to cost more because it says "olive oil" on the label, but the flavor really isn't there, IMHO.  For the record, I HATE olives.  If going for the cheap olive oil, with very little flavor to begin with, why use any?

Offline buzz

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 11:04:06 AM »
The reason I use a little with the canola oil is that it imparts a bit of flavor to the otherwise neutral canola. I don't find the extra light tasteless at all. I do like olive oil, but the higher grades are too overpowering in a pizza, IMO. I have, however, used "olive oil" (probably the 3rd or 4th pressing), which is O.K., too.

Offline TimEggers

• Homemade pizza and home roasted coffee! YUM!
    • Pan Roasting Coffee
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 12:26:56 PM »
I have used Bertolli Classico Olive Oil and the Wal-mart brand of Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil and I very much prefer the Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil to them all.  It just has more flavor and makes a stronger showing in my pizza.  I also use minimal amounts and want to maximize the flavor detection.

EVOO all the way!

P.S.- I also infuse the Bertolli EVOO with sliced garlic cloves!  YUM!

Offline chiguy

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 01:13:10 PM »
Hi, I took a pizza baking class from general mills offered at the pizza expo Las Vegas, according to the the speaker there is no difference in taste  in a crust, whether you use olive oil or canola. The oil in pizza crust is a lubricant, it can also help with with extensibility, create tenderness and some browning effect.  The most important part seemed to be the keeping quality. The oil can help preserve a pizza kept under heat lamps, a.k.a.Sabarros. So with all this being said i still use extra virgin olive oil in my crusts. I Love the stuff, i would use it as a moisturizer on my face if it wouldnt offend people.   

Offline pam

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 11:16:07 PM »
Hi, I took a pizza baking class from general mills offered at the pizza expo Las Vegas, according to the the speaker there is no difference in taste  in a crust, whether you use olive oil or canola.
Don't know who the speaker was, but if (s)he can't taste the difference, (s)he's got either an untutored or an insensitve palate.
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 08:57:40 PM »
Thank you Pam

for the insight on "refined" canola oil. I didn't realize the information I had  was "generalized".

That's why this board is soo great!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 07:03:36 AM »
I use different vegetable oils for the dough and/or cooking, and olive oil for topping food,salads, or for garlic bread.
Olive oil is great for flavor but has a low burning point and could really screw up a pizza when exposed to high temps.