Author Topic: Forni a legna - I took the plunge  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Kermit

Forni a legna - I took the plunge
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »
After I got knowledge of the Forni a Legna oven through my previous post, I decided to order one. The alternatives were very few, so it seemed like the most ideal solution for my needs. A week later it arrived in my parents driveway. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and can't use anything but gas when grilling, so it can't be at my place. Luckily my folks are very cool, and don't have any problems with housing my latest fetish, and as it doesn't way that much, I will be able to transport it from garden to garden pretty easily.

Setup was pretty easy. The floor wasn't as level as I wanted it, but I fixed it by placing some small spaces under the bricks to level it out. As it was my first time with a WFO it took some time to figure out how everything worked from setting the fire to launching the pizzas. Luckily my girlfriend is a former scout, and her family runs a pizzarestaurant with a WFO, so she knows her way around it. After the fire had set, the oven was about 400 celsius, which is ok when I think of the wood I used wasn't ideal. Next time I will be using beech which probably will result in even more heat. The floor was about 450 degrees after we moved the fire to the side.

The top doesn't get that hot, since it's made from metal. This also means that it doesn't radiate heat the same way that a brickoven does, but again, that's one of the compromises I had to deal with with this oven. It all ended pretty good, and I got away with making 6 pizzas through the night in the first attempt, so it's definately approved. The outside of the oven doesn't get that hot. The sides were about 50 celsius, and the bottom was 5-6 celsius  ;D

So I'm pretty happy with the investment so far, but as I mentioned, I still have a lot to learn. Some of the things I learned from the first time:
- Use beech, ash or oak tree for the fire
- Invest in a small turning peel. I used one of my old peels to turn, but as it's square it doesn't work that good  :D
- Invest in a chopping block for the wood - I actually ended up cracking on of the stone tiles in my parents garden from chopping the wood.
- The oven comes with a small metal device to keep the fire locked in one place - you can probably see it in the pictures. Unfortunately that made it almost impossible to get color on the pizzas - so the next time I won't be using it when trying to make neapolitan styled pizzas.

There's place for improvement, but now I've taken the plunge into WFO's  :)

Offline Kermit

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:21:22 AM by Kermit »

Offline Jet_deck

Re: Forni a legna - I took the plunge
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:24:25 AM »
Looks good Kermit.  Any pizza oven is better than no pizza oven.  Bake again soon, I would love to see more pictures. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »
Kermit, Great start. Thanks for sharing.
Don

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
Looks like the proof is in the Pizza!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »
Very nice. I'm sure you'll be making the pies you want in no time.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »
Yesterday I fired the oven again with hopes of making som neo-pies. When I moved the fire to the side, the floor was 513 degrees celsius. It meant that the first pie was done in something like 45 seconds, and got a bit burnt in the bottom. But still I got the leopard spots, and my nephew loved it.

The next pies I made was done at about 60-90 seconds time, so the temperature was spot-on. Still need to learn how to manage the pies with such fast baking times, so that the pies don't get burned. I think I got pretty good results as a second timer. But still, I learned something new yesterday. The later pies were a bit pale on top, which probably was because there wasn't that great a fire going. Next time I will make sure to have a pretty agressive fire going so that the temperature in the oven is pretty high, but a floor temperature around 350-400 degrees.

Another thing, for the first time I made a pizza with potatoes. It was very very good, and I tried out different cheeses as the "sauce". Ricotta was the cheese of choice from all the people who tasted it. I'm also a keen bikerider, so I name all my pizzas after famous bikeriders. For instance a pizza with tomato, mozzarella and prosciutto cotto is a very classic pizza, so therefore it is named after one of the most dominating classic riders from last year - Philippe Gilbert. Well, I was in for a bit of brainstorm to figure out who to name the potato pie after, because who is a potato? Well, I asked the question on a facebook page, and asked me to say pizza and potato 10 times, and suddenly it hit me. There's a rider called Filippo Pozzato - it was in the bag.

Now, pictures.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »
nice work Kermit!  i pedal off the pizza too.  How about one with beef on it named for Contador?    ;D

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »
Those look great!  I love the potato one - and very nice photos! 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
nice work Kermit!  i pedal off the pizza too.  How about one with beef on it named for Contador?    ;D
HAHA, actually the one I have named after Contador is with Chorizo, which is a spicy spanish sausage  ;D

Also got one with chicken marinated with chili called Michael Rasmussen  ;)

pizzapan