Author Topic: Broccoli Broccoli Broccoli  (Read 461 times)

Offline brooklynpl

• I Love Pizza!
Broccoli Broccoli Broccoli
« on: October 05, 2014, 07:02:18 AM »
Hey guys... Just opened a week ago and things are moving strong, but I need some help with one topping that just isn't right.

My broccoli florets are burning a bit, and I don;t know what to do.   

I cut them down pretty small ahead of time, and saute in olive oil just enough to bring the bright green out, and set to cool.

I running a deck oven at about 550f... Pizza screen for six, and then right on the deck for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to crisp of the bottom.

I try protecting the flowers with cheese, but no dice

Anyone have a trick of the trade that might help me?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Broccoli Broccoli Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:29:29 AM »
what if you steamed to set the color instead of saute, it would add a little moisture to the broccoli before going on the pie. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 09:10:08 AM »
Personally, I think you need a bit of char (or at least good caramelization) on your broccoli and other similar greens such as Brussels sprouts, rapini, or Kale. It should be just barely cooked through and still a bit crunchy and caramelized on at least some of the tips. This will give it an indispensable sweet, nutty flavor you just can't get without the dark brown color. Even a bit of char is great adding some smoke flavor to the mix.

I would not pre-cook the broccoli.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline jkb

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
what if you steamed to set the color instead of saute, it would add a little moisture to the broccoli before going on the pie. 

Yes.  I bet the oil is contributing to the burning.

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
What if you deep fried the broccoli in chocolate sauce?

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 08:34:42 PM »
Personally, I think you need a bit of char (or at least good caramelization) on your broccoli and other similar greens such as Brussels sprouts, rapini, or Kale. It should be just barely cooked through and still a bit crunchy and caramelized on at least some of the tips. This will give it an indispensable sweet, nutty flavor you just can't get without the dark brown color. Even a bit of char is great adding some smoke flavor to the mix.

I would not pre-cook the broccoli.

Yep.

If they're the right size a toss in olive oil should work fine. Steamed our sautéed broccoli on a pizza doesn't sound appetizing to me though.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
You would be banned from the forum.   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
You would be banned from the forum.   ;D
That's honestly hysterical!
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »

Years ago at some company convention in some random hotel, they served us a buffet BBQ lunch. Just past the chaffer of dried out sliced precooked brisket was a big bowl of sauce. I looked at it and thought to myself "that's the darkest BBQ sauce I've ever seen." So I smelled it - it was freggin' chocolate sauce. I probably should have said something, but it was fun to watch Yankee after Yankee pour chocolate sauce all over their brisket.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
Now that....is honestly hysterical man !  :'(

Yankee after Yankee.... :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 10:19:13 PM »
Yankee after Yankee.... Yep. Hysterical sums it up.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 10:25:32 AM »
I cook at home, my oven is 550.  I love broccoli and cauliflower roasted in olive oil with garlic.  It is delicious hot, cold, reheated, etc.  But it is always browned a bit, and the darker it is the better it tastes.

When I make a pizza, if I have roasted veggies in the fridge, I chop them a put them right on the pie. Sometimes below and sometimes on top of the pizza.  I bake for 3 minutes, and then broil on high for 3 minutes.  The pizza comes out fantastic and nothing is burned. And when you bite into some of that broccoli your body just wants to do a snoopy happy dance.

It does not look like a pizzeria broccoli pie where they load up the bright green tasteless broccoli on the pie.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
I've made roasted broccoli the way that is described in this blog/recipe. http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-roasted-broccoli-with-meyer-lemon-and-garlic/

The picture of the broccoli and lemon look exactly how I like/make it.  I've made small batches of both cauliflower and broccoli this way and then put it on top of pizza. Managing the crisping and charging seems to be remediated be pre-roasting. Although I'm in a home oven at around 550 F.
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
Here is an entry for my roasted cauliflower and broccoli pie that I baked last night.  Unfortunately, the topping photography is a bit blurry, but the final slice is clear as a bell.
Always glad when the veggies are roasted and in the fridge, waiting for me when I come home from work!