Author Topic: what goes best with mushrooms?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline sallam

what goes best with mushrooms?
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
Greetings everyone!

My son asked me to do him a mushroom pizza. I have a can of sliced mushrooms, but I'm not sure what other toppings go best with mushrooms.. onions, tomatoes, pepper, olives?
..and should I roast (or fry) the mushrooms to dry them first?

I appreciate any suggestions..
Many thanks.
I'm a home baker.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: what goes best with mushrooms?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »
Without advocating the use of canned mushrooms, how about: tomato sauce, mozz, mushrooms, diced onion, and pepperoni?

You shouldn't need to do anything to dry the mushrooms.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline ElRonno

• Keep calm and eat pizza
    • Eetpraat
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »
My favorite is tomato sauce, grated mozzarella, sliced fresh mushrooms and capers.
"When a=depth and z=radius of the pie, the volume is pi.z.z.a!"

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
Without advocating the use of canned mushrooms, how about: tomato sauce, mozz, mushrooms, diced onion, and pepperoni?

I agree with the Craig's non-advocation of canned mushrooms. I actually didn't know I liked mushrooms until I delved into fresh mushrooms. There are so many out there, it's hard to not like one of em!

If you're interested in stepping away from canned mushrooms, you might try sliced pan-fried shiitake mushrooms (with a little salt) and roasted red pepper. Add a bit of goat cheese and you've got yourself a party!

If canned mushrooms is your thing, you can't go wrong with ye oldé pepperoni mushroom. the life-blood of america!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
I agree, if I can't get fresh mushrooms, then I don't eat them.  I also don't buy canned mushrooms so I can't be tempted to use them.  :P

It makes me mad that places that used canned mushrooms also don't tell you.  They just act like there's no difference.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
I'm with everyone's comments on canned mushrooms, however I've been told time and time again my soon to be clientele prefers canned mushrooms. :o I don't get it but what can you do? Sallam, I suggest looking at this thread
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17011.0.html

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
Sallam,

I do believe you go fresh with the shrooms...Two ideas, 1) Use criminis and saute some, oven roast some, and thinly slice some...Use all three on pizza for a trio of shrooms....2) More pricey, but use crimini, chanterelles, and porcini for a wild forest mix, using some of the same pre-bake cooking methods as above...

Good Luck, RJelli  :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
Bacon!

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »
I like canned mushrooms.  I don't usually use them on pizza, but I am not adverse.  They have a different flavor profile, and I really love a canned shroom and pepperoni pie out of the kitchen oven.

Mushrooms go with anything that has a bite, as a rule.  They have a subtle flavor and as such, seem to be best paired with something stronger.  Mushroom and shallot, shroom and Italian sausage, etc.  Just do not use too many when they are grouped with a lot of veges as the combined moisture will create a lake in the center.

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:20:20 PM »
Goat chesse and spinach.

Offline Bill 001

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 07:23:01 AM »
I agree, if I can't get fresh mushrooms, then I don't eat them.  I also don't buy canned mushrooms...

I totally agree with Chau on this one.

My standard pizza starts with my "Secret" tomato sauce (actually it starts with dough) and some cheese.  From there I almost always use chopped onions and sliced fresh mushrooms. Since I live in New Mexico I usually include fresh Fire Roasted green chile.  After that, anything goes.

One word of warning to our married members.  The other evening I was making pizza and discovered an open can of artichoke hearts in the fridge.  Ah ha says I, just the thing to top off the pizza.  NOT!!!  When wife discovered what I had done she informed me that she had plans to use those artichoke hearts for something she was going to make.  The lesson learned is if you discover an opened can of artichoke hearts which you did not open, do not use them on your pizza without permission.

Needless to say, I hot footed it down to the store next day and bought a can of artichoke hearts.  All is well.

buceriasdon

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 08:07:28 AM »
Bill, Good thinking about replacing those artichoke hearts quickly. :D I now only use them when I know my guests will like them. Imagine my chagrin when on two occasions I've had my Mexican friends pick them off the pizza. :-[
Don

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:40:14 AM »
I don't know what it is about artichokes. I love them in just about every way except on pizza. On pizza, they are just OK for me.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline skipreid45

• It's always Pizza Night
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »
I made a pizza with a low moisture mozz and parm base. Topped with fresh mozz, leeks, crimini mushrooms, and pancetta. My guests
thought it was extremely tasty.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
First thing, throw away the canned mushrooms!  :) I like fontina cheese on a mushroom pie. At Barbarella my mushroom pie had roasted cremini mushrooms(i always roast or sautee first. I hate raw mushrooms on pizza), fontina cheese, Grana Padano, and bechamel. Very tasty.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
Sausage and mushrooms baby !  :drool:

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »
There's a well-known Chicago thin crust pizza place here in LA called Casa Bianca that has always used canned mushrooms.  They claim it works better on pizza, maybe less moisture coming off them, I forget, but it's a major point of contention among Casa Bianca's detractors. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
Sausage and mushrooms baby !  :drool:
You got dat right!! 

You purists shouldn`t look at the following pics...Bob rolls with the can man. Don`t knock it till you actually try it!   >:D

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22946.0
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 09:30:35 PM »
Porcini, tallegio, mozzarella, fried sage, bechamel, white truffle.

Offline parallei

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »
Saute or roast them a bit first:  olive oil, a bit of butter, a bit of garlic (not much), and thyme.  For a white pizza.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:04:53 PM by parallei »

pizzapan