Author Topic: Trying a different Sicilian pie tomorrow  (Read 29169 times)

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Trying a different Sicilian pie tomorrow
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »
Norma;
On your formula sheet it shows the malt as being DIASTATIC. This is an active, (enzyme active) malt that should only be used with a non-malted flour, and even then, the recommended use level is only 0.25% of the total flour weight, not 2% as your formula shows. If the malt was non-diastatic you could use it at the 2% level without any problem. High malt levels will always result in a gummy, wet crumb structure, and in some cases it may also inhibit oven spring. My advice is to totally eliminate the diastatic malt form your dough formula.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
Norma;
On your formula sheet it shows the malt as being DIASTATIC. This is an active, (enzyme active) malt that should only be used with a non-malted flour, and even then, the recommended use level is only 0.25% of the total flour weight, not 2% as your formula shows. If the malt was non-diastatic you could use it at the 2% level without any problem. High malt levels will always result in a gummy, wet crumb structure, and in some cases it may also inhibit oven spring. My advice is to totally eliminate the diastatic malt form your dough formula.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

You would think by this stage in my pizza making I would know the difference between diastatic malt and non-diastatic malt, but I still get them confused.  :-D The dry malt was sent to me as a sample and I thought it was non-diastatic malt powder. I will eliminate the dry malt.   Thanks for your help!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Ev

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
Norma,
   I ate most of the leftover pie last night. I think it was better reheated in the toaster oven than fresh. Nice and crispy on the bottom, but maybe a little greasy too, but not too much so. The crumb didn't get any lighter though, and I know that's what you were hoping for.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »
Norma,
Your Sicilian certainly looks handsome. I am really liking the sauce stripes, reminds me of my hometown pizzeria. I am not sure I could add anything more to what John and Tom said about the malt.  The only other thought I had to get maximum lightness, regardless of the recipe, would be to par-bake your crust.  
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »
Norma,
   I ate most of the leftover pie last night. I think it was better reheated in the toaster oven than fresh. Nice and crispy on the bottom, but maybe a little greasy too, but not too much so. The crumb didn't get any lighter though, and I know that's what you were hoping for.

Steve,

I didnít think the crumb would get any lighter in a reheat. Thanks for posting about the reheated slices.  Do you think the greasiness was from the lard I used?  It didnít seem greasy at all to me at market yesterday, did it to you?  I know Kim said he liked the pizza slice in a reheat, but you know me, I will have to experiment more.   :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
Norma,
Your Sicilian certainly looks handsome. I am really liking the sauce stripes, reminds me of my hometown pizzeria. I am not sure I could add anything more to what John and Tom said about the malt.  The only other thought I had to get maximum lightness, regardless of the recipe, would be to par-bake your crust.  

Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts too!  :) Glad you like the stripes.  I think next week I will get rid of the dollops and just use stripes. I had tried some parbakes in some of my other Sicilian pies I have made and want to try and make this one without a parbake. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
I mixed another Sicilian dough today for an another attempt on Tuesday.  This is the formulation I used with Better for Bread flour.  I change the ADY to IDY and dropped the dry malt.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
Norma

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
Looks like a solid recipe Norma. :chef: I cant wait to see your results Tues.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »
Looks like a solid recipe Norma. :chef: I cant wait to see your results Tues.

Jim,

Thanks for saying the formulation looks like a solid one.  :) The dough was sticky again and I gave it a few stretch and folds, but would like it I ever get a decent formulation not to have to mess with it too much for market.  That is why I didnít give it many stretch and folds.  If some formulation ever works out okay, I will try to add more yeast for a one day cold ferment.  It seems customers that visited market last week were interested in the Sicilian pizza.  My one customer had a few slices and he said he would buy that every week.  Hopefully, something works out.

Norma

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
Norma,
 I am certain it will work out great. Say, are you still planning on using the lard to grease the pan or are you going to change up your "bench oil" (I am not sure if that is the correct term but i am going with it :) )?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 10:17:40 PM »
Norma,
 I am certain it will work out great. Say, are you still planning on using the lard to grease the pan or are you going to change up your "bench oil" (I am not sure if that is the correct term but i am going with it :) )?

Jim,

Thanks for having confidence in that it will work out.  :) I plan on using either peanut oil or corn oil this time to grease the steel pan.  I have had some luck with both of those kinds of oils in a steel pan.  I have both kinds of oils at market, but havenít decided which one I want to use.  I just call the oil to grease the pan ďpan oilĒ.  I really donít know the correct term either.   :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 06:06:14 PM »
This is how the dough ball looked after about 24 hours of cold fermenting.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
The Sicilian dough and pizza went well today.  The dough ball was only left to warm-up for about an half of an hour, because last week it wanted to become too big when trying to put it into the steel pan.  The colder approach to opening the dough went better, but not perfect. That dough was placed into the steel pan easily and was left at room temperature for 2 hrs. for the second rise.  The pizza was dressed with a blend of two mozzarellas, white cheddar, then the tomato sauce was added in strips, and the whole pie was sprinkled with Romano cheese and some Sicilian oregano.  I had seasoned the steel pan more today with corn oil.  The pan was also oiled with corn oil.  The final Sicilian pizza was light and had a nice crisp on the bottom.  There wasnít any trouble with getting the pie out of the pan today.  The only problems with this baked was where the strips of tomato sauce were added the crumb seemed to want to be not have as much oven spring and near the middle of the pizza it didnít want to brown as much.  Any ideas how to avoid the last two things I mentioned?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:57 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »
Norma