Author Topic: Trying a different Sicilian pie tomorrow  (Read 33102 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Trying a different Sicilian pie tomorrow
« Reply #420 on: August 17, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
Thanks CB! norma hooked it up!
She's a clever lady, that one..... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #421 on: August 17, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »
Thanks again Norma, The pan was 16" dia. The pizza was great coming out of the oven but then got a little chewy when it was getting cold.Great reheated though ! Next time I will use Kaap it should help with that problem.

FC,

Thanks for telling me what size pan you used.  I don't think I have a 16" round pan, so I would have to use the expanded dough calculation tool to figure how much dough I would need for my round steel pan.  KAAP did give a light crust for me.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #422 on: August 17, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »
She's a clever lady, that one..... ;)

Thanks Bob!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: August 23, 2012, 07:57:05 AM »
This post is to just explain that I did a little experiment with mixing and balling to see what would happen when using the same formulation and GM Full Strength flour. 

I didnít mixed quite as long and didnít ball as tight as I usually do when making this Sicilian dough.  I usually ball until the dough ball feels a little tight, but this time I just balled when the dough was somewhat limp (that is from the higher hydration dough, in my opinion).  This dough is always a little sticky, but this time the dough was more sticky.  I wanted to see if when balling not until some of the stickiness went away if the crumb structure would still stay light.  I also opened the dough ball when it was still cold right out of the deli case.  I am not really sure, but think the crumb structure would be compromised by the not balling as tight.  As can be seen the rest of the Sicilian pizza looks about the same, but the crumb structure was tighter.  The dough ball fermented well

I donít really know, but guess that there has to be enough strength in the dough, either while mixing, or while balling for the crumb structure to become lighter.  At least that is what I think happened with this dough.  I should not have opened the dough ball cold and then proofed.  I think if I would have waited until the dough ball warm-up and then panned the dough, then I would have more conclusive results.  I think it is interesting even with minor changes that a crumb structure can turn out differently. 

The Sicilian pizza tasted the same, but I prefer a more open crumb structure.

I didnít take any pictures of the dough ball after balling, because at the time, really didnít think it would matter that much.

Norma   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #424 on: August 23, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
Norma

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #425 on: August 23, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
The pizza looks amazing! Have you been selling them at the market yet? Great thing about the sicilian pie's is that you can have a bunch of them in the pan's proofing and cook them off when you need them.By the look of them I think they would sell just as much as the ny's if not better! take care fc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: August 23, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
The pizza looks amazing! Have you been selling them at the market yet? Great thing about the sicilian pie's is that you can have a bunch of them in the pan's proofing and cook them off when you need them.By the look of them I think they would sell just as much as the ny's if not better! take care fc

FC,

Thanks, and yes I have been trying to sell the Sicilian pizzas at market.  They arenít taking off too fast, but I am selling some to repeat customers.  The market customers are a tough bunch to try and change their minds about trying to sell different styles of pizzas.  I had tried the Mellow Mushroom clone pizzas and couldnít even sell one pie a week.  I also am making Greek style pizzas from my regular Lehmann dough and they are starting to sell better.  I guess my customers in my neck of the woods really just like NY style pizzas.  I recently introduced NY style white pizzas and they are selling better than the Sicilian pies, or the Greek pizzas.  I guess it all depends on where you are located in what type of pies customers prefer too.  Either that, or I am not located in the right place at market for all the customers that come to market to be able to see what I offer.  I think it might have something to do with the part of market I am located.  I am in the slowest part of market.  I used to have a stand with my husband in the busy part of market and I know how many potential customers walked by that stand. I was at that stand for a lot of years.  In comparison, I see how many potential customers walk by my pizza stand now.  I have asked the manager of the market if I can move if a new space becomes available.  I have no idea if I ever will be able to move or not.  The market manager has given me some options about putting some of the money I spend towards rent into advertising in the newspaper, on his website, or the markets facebook page, but I think that my product is an impulse product if someone never tried it before.  I do have many repeat customers, but think I could get more if I was located elsewhere in the market.  I am undecided of what to do right now about the offer for advertising.   

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #427 on: August 23, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
"I am undecided of what to do right now about the offer for advertising. "

If it was me, Norma, I'd just wait it out till you can get a better spot. You have the right idea about pizza being an impulse buy while people are there at the market. People know there is food there and they are going to choose what to eat according to how they feel that day...they know you are there.

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #428 on: August 23, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
Norma you might have tried this before. you can try giving out free samples of the Sicilian through the market.Let them know where you are and the pizza speaks for it self!fc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: August 23, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
"I am undecided of what to do right now about the offer for advertising. "

If it was me, Norma, I'd just wait it out till you can get a better spot. You have the right idea about pizza being an impulse buy while people are there at the market. People know there is food there and they are going to choose what to eat according to how they feel that day...they know you are there.

Bob,

It is really hard to explain how the market I go to is.  After being in the area I am for over 3 years, there are many potential customers that never saw my pizza stand.  I get customers each week that ask me when I started at market.  They think I am a new stand.   :-D  I am not really good at estimating, but I think only about less than 5% of the people that come to market, on any given week, have actually seen my pizza stand.  That is how busy the other parts of market are.  Most of the other parts of market have much more food than my part of market does.  When the manager said I could start my pizza stand in the area I am now in, he wanted food back in that area to draw more people back to that area.  That really didn't happen. It would be hard to explain everything.  The market I go to is very big and some customers just go on their normal route and don't ever deviate from their normal route.

I could ramble on forever, but it is no use to do that.

Norma    

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #430 on: August 23, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »
Norma you might have tried this before. you can try giving out free samples of the Sicilian through the market.Let them know where you are and the pizza speaks for it self!fc

FC,

No, I haven't tried to give out samples of the Sicilian slices, but have put up coupons for money off of normal slices on 9 bulletin boards.  The only people that used them were standholders, after about 3 months.  I also had my daughter and a friend try to give out coupons for money off slices and no one would even take the coupons.  I also have placed adds for my pizza stand in both bathroom bulletin boards and also on the other bulletin boards, but I don't think any customers look at them.

Norma 

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #431 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »
Free food goes a long way, especially when it looks as good as yours ! People drive hours for good food , for you they just have to walk...just my two cents.good luck ! FC

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #432 on: August 23, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »
Free food goes a long way, especially when it looks as good as yours ! People drive hours for good food , for you they just have to walk...just my two cents.good luck ! FC

FC,

Thanks for the idea.  :) I might have to give your idea a try.  I know I have different people that come by my stand and say they likes the looks of my pizzas, but have already eaten other foods at market.  Different people that come to market only come one time a year and some come everyweek.  We also have lots of tourists that are only at market on time and then are gone.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2012, 07:28:36 PM »
Have someone at the entrance give out 'lil pizza samples on a small paper plate that has market directions to your stand and a discount stamped on the back of the paper plate.... ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:32:06 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2012, 07:41:40 PM »
Have someone at the entrance give out 'lil pizza samples on a small paper plate that has market directions to your stand and a discount stamped on the back of the paper plate.... ;D

Bob,

Thanks for your great idea, but there are so many entrances I could not count them all, unless I went around the whole market.  Even with all the entrances there are also many different parking lots, with some being at the different golf courses, which aren't even on that picture.

Root's market is really big.   :-D  I even have a small entrance beside my stand, but it is not a main entrance.

Edit again:  If you look at all those buildings each building has many entrances, on the front and back of the buildings and even on each end of the buildings.  There are also many outside stands.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:46:56 PM by norma427 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »
Bob,

It is really hard to explain how the market I go to is.  After being in the area I am for over 3 years, there are many potential customers that never saw my pizza stand.  I get customers each week that ask me when I started at market.  They think I am a new stand.   :-D  I am not really good at estimating, but I think only about less than 5% of the people that come to market, on any given week, have actually seen my pizza stand.  That is how busy the other parts of market are.  Most of the other parts of market have much more food than my part of market does.  When the manager said I could start my pizza stand in the area I am now in, he wanted food back in that area to draw more people back to that area.  That really didn't happen. It would be hard to explain everything.  The market I go to is very big and some customers just go on their normal route and don't ever deviate from their normal route.

I could ramble on forever, but it is no use to do that.

Norma   
Now we're getting somewhere Norma...I believe this info paints an entirely different picture for most of us who were visualizing your market.
5% of the markets traffic volume reaching your area is a big bummer. I'm going to think about this for awhile but I can definitely say right now that your kicking in advertising dollars to the owner of the market is not going to get more people back to your area. This is going to require much better strategy....this place must be huge.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #436 on: August 23, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
Now we're getting somewhere Norma...I believe this info paints an entirely different picture for most of us who were visualizing your market.
5% of the markets traffic volume reaching your area is a big bummer. I'm going to think about this for awhile but I can definitely say right now that your kicking in advertising dollars to the owner of the market is not going to get more people back to your area. This is going to require much better strategy....this place must be huge.

Bob,

The market manager doesnít want me to kick in more money for advertising.  He said he would cut my rent, then charge me commission on what I make for the month.  I havenít really talked to him more, but did ask what if I made more money with a commission onto my rent.  He said he is figuring that out on paper and I really wonít be paying anymore rent than I do now.  The money that he discounts from my rent either he or I together would figure out something.  I am not sure what he plans, but he said something about newspaper ads, facebook, or the markets website.  I know the markets website isnít hardly ever updated and neither is the markets facebook page.  I know hardly anyone in our area reads the newspaper anymore and sure would not probably look at a small ad.  The market manager wants to make me happy where I am now, because I have been at market for many years.  My husbands and my stand that we formerly had was the oldest stand at the market.  That stand was started by my husbands parents in 1928. 

I need to talk to the market manager more, because he says I have the option anytime.  I told him my food item really is an impulse purchase and people need to walk by my stand to see what I have to offer.  If they donít like what I have to offer, that is okay with me, but I just need more people walking by my stand.  If I could I would put a trailer outside in the summer, but then that would me I would have to trust someone to make the pizzas the way I wanted them made.  That could also be a problem. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #437 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »
Wow!!  That is big Norma....really big. Thanks for the aerial photo and yes, I was noting all the various outbuildings and open air stalls. Do you vendors know the average head count for a typical Tuesday? How do the shoppers that park in the axillary (golf course) lots reach the market? Your photo kinda gives the impression that there are only 2 main roads leading in for the folks that are able to park on site. If you give me the market address I can get into this with better views of the grounds a little more to my liking...thanks.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #438 on: August 23, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
Wow!!  That is big Norma....really big. Thanks for the aerial photo and yes, I was noting all the various outbuildings and open air stalls. Do you vendors know the average head count for a typical Tuesday? How do the shoppers that park in the axillary (golf course) lots reach the market? Your photo kinda gives the impression that there are only 2 main roads leading in for the folks that are able to park on site. If you give me the market address I can get into this with better views of the grounds a little more to my liking...thanks.

Bob,

Rootís address is at the bottom of the page on this link. http://www.rootsmarket.com/  This is the one golf course.  http://www.evergreengolfinc.com/  The other one is a pick and putt.  These are the auctions at Rootís.  http://www.rootsmarket.com/auctions.asp This is also the location and it shows there are eight parking lots.  http://www.rootsmarket.com/location.asp  If you click to enlarge the aerial photo, you can see a better aerial view of Rootís.  My stand is located near the end of the second building next to the last right parking lot.  I am in area #4.  The main place that is outside where many customers go in in front of the longest building in the about the middle of the aerial photo.  I think around 5,000 customers come there each week, depending on the weather and also what time of year it is.  There is also a big auction called Conestoga Auction that is operated each Tuesday too.  http://www.conestogaauction.com/  The people walk from the golf courses when the main parking lots are full.  When someone goes to the other parts of market, most of the time, you canít even walk without bumping into people.  It is usually that full, unless the weather is bad, or in the winter.  I have know many of the stand holders for many years and talked to many of them and they all tell me that it is my location as why I donít get the amount of potential customers that other areas of the market do.  I know that is true.  I also know other vendors that have moved from my area and now at doing so great.  There is also a big outside area near the restrooms that have loads of picnic tables and many food stands there too.  That area is always crowded.  The big flea and antique market across the street also has different food vendors.  That is also where i was at one time with the funnel cake stand.

I have been trying to think of ideas, since the market manager spoke to me, about ways that I could advertise that might work.  I told Steve what if the market manager would let me use the difference in the money I paid to give free slices of pizza out and then the market would announce that over the loudspeaker system that I was giving free slices of pizzas for a while each week if that might work to get more potential customers to come to my stand.  I really donít know how that would work either, or if the market manger would allow me to do that.     

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #439 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »
Thanks so much Norma... I'm going to look all this over carefully. Ha!  ;D  a loudspeaker announcement of FREE PIZZA in that place would probably create a stampede, impossible to keep up with the exagerated panic demand and might very well leave many thinking "I'll never go back into that area"    ;)
Also, IMHO, do NOT make a deal with the devil. No way do you want someone else knowing how much you sell. I completely understand that you have a long standing trustworthy relationship at that market....so does that manager. Commissions off of your sales, disconts on/towards your rent, whatever, is a big time no-no in my book.
I think I have some ideas you will find interesting..I'll post them up soon and return this thread back on topic.