Author Topic: Trying a different Sicilian pie tomorrow  (Read 32270 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Trying a different Sicilian pie tomorrow
« Reply #440 on: August 23, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
Thanks so much Norma... I'm going to look all this over carefully. Ha!  ;D  a loudspeaker announcement of FREE PIZZA in that place would probably create a stampede, impossible to keep up with the exagerated panic demand and might very well leave many thinking "I'll never go back into that area"    ;)
Also, IMHO, do NOT make a deal with the devil. No way do you want someone else knowing how much you sell. I completely understand that you have a long standing trustworthy relationship at that market....so does that manager. Commissions off of your sales, disconts on/towards your rent, whatever, is a big time no-no in my book.
I think I have some ideas you will find interesting..I'll post them up soon and return this thread back on topic.

Bob,

What you posted is some of the reasons I have been thinking this over of what to do.  I do okay in sales, but know I could do much better if I were in another part of the market.  I really didn't want to start posting about what was going on, but then FC asked me about if I started selling the Sicilian pizzas.  I then thought I should explain.  Market has always been fair to me, so I don't think they would do anything otherwise now.  My husbands parents were the last ones to pay only by commission in the market, after all the other stand holders had to pay a monthly rate.  They did make out better that way, but I don't know how that would be now and I really don't want the market to know how much I do or don't make in sales.

Thanks for your help.  :)

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #441 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
I am sorry for starting this discussion :-[ I made another sicilian pie tonight using your recipe. I used kaap for this one and it came out much better! 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #442 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »
I am sorry for starting this discussion :-[ I made another sicilian pie tonight using your recipe. I used kaap for this one and it came out much better! 
Don't be silly fc........each pie is looking better as you go. Thanks for the pics !
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #443 on: August 23, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »

FC,

There is no need to apologize or be embarrassed of what you posted. 

Your Sicilian pie looks great!  :)  I am glad you like using KAAP in your Sicilian dough.  Your crumb shot also looks really good.

Thanks for posting your pictures!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
Since I already posted more about market, this is a picture from a flyer from Rootís that I had at home and scanned and copied.  It shows all the parking lots, expect the ones at the golf course.  When it is the busy at market all of these parking lots are full and that is when customers park in the golf course parking lot or the pitch and putt parking lot (which also arenít show).  This aerial shot shows better where all the building are located because they are marked by numbers.  I am located in area #4 near the back end of the building right next to that back parking lot. 

The next scan is one of the history of Rootís if anyone is interested.  It might be hard to read about the history of Rootís on a scan, so if there are any questions, I can answer them.  My late husband and his parents were stand holders at Rootís when the big fire was in 1972. That fire destroyed 75% of the main market building (area #1). The old part of the market building can still be told from the old beams, wooden structure and wood beams.  The old market building was subsequently rebuilt in 15 weeks during which time the weekly market was held outside in good weather.  Hurricane Agnes caused that fire by all the rain that must have gotten wires wet in the old building.  Building #5 is the newest building and houses a full restaurant, along with a lot of other vendor stands.  My husbands parents lost everything in that fire, but the tray that the caramel corn was poured in when it was finished baking.  That stainless steel tray is still at the caramel corn stand and is still being used by the new owners.  The stand holders all had to go outside for awhile, until a new building was built.  My husband parents and him were in first old building and then moved down to  area #2 after the old building was rebuilt and then area #2 was added.  Area #3, #4 and #5 were added later.  My late husband told me about when the market building was heated by wood stoves only.  Since Rootís market is so old, they never had running water piped in under the floors.  That is one reason it is so hard to get a stand with running water for food items.  Back in older times stands werenít required to have running water by the Pa. Dept. of Agriculture.  If any food stands need running water now, they need to dig though the macadam and hook up to where the main water lines run.  My water for my market stand has to be run from the sausage sandwich and sausage products stand which is in the middle of area #4.  I needed a special pump to pump my waste water up to that stand too, before I opened.  That is another reason why it is so hard for a food vendor that prepares food to move to another market stand if running water isnít already there, or in an adjacent stand.   

To explain a little more about outside stands, they are located outside of area #!, #2, #6, #9 and all the areas around there.  Some are right out in the open with no roofs or protection.  Behind area #1 there is a big picnic area and other food vendors.  That is also where the restrooms are located.  They are in the one building that was just built about a year ago.  I always get questions where the restrooms are located and do give directions.  They are the only restrooms at market and anyone has to walk outside to get to them.  They are much improved from the old restrooms that were there for many years. 

Any other questions, just ask.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #445 on: August 24, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »
Norma

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #446 on: August 24, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »
Thanks all  :) I see what you mean , the market looks very big . It is probably not that easy getting recognized with such a big place ,especially when it is only open one day a week.Hopefully you can find a better location. Good luck  fc.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: August 24, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
Thanks all  :) I see what you mean , the market looks very big . It is probably not that easy getting recognized with such a big place ,especially when it is only open one day a week.Hopefully you can find a better location. Good luck  fc.

FC,

Thanks for the good luck!  :)

It really isnít how big the market is, it is where I am located which isnít the best.  The main areas customers go in are area #1 & #2, followed by area #3, then area #5 and lastly my area, especially the back of building #4.  There arenít any fresh vegetables, fruits, or other food vendors back in my area. In the spring, summer and fall the outside is packed with people most of the day

If customers walk around with bags (which they usually do) for awhile, they can get tired very easily because the market is so big.  Regular market goers have their own routines and stands that they always go to and donít vary very much.  Market isnít air-conditioned either, so when it is really hot people donít walk around as much.

When we used to have our caramel popcorn stand many customers would say they only came inside in the summer to purchase our caramel popcorn and then went outside again.  I know most of the stand holders in the main building and they all say the same thing to me that I am located in a really bad area.  At least I make enough money to keep doing what I like and that is making pizza.  I am fortunate that enough customers have found me in the location I am in and also stand holders purchase pizza from me.

I just wish I could think of a way to get more customers to just walk by my stand.  If they donít like the looks of my pizzas that is okay with me, but at least they saw them.   :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #448 on: August 29, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »
I went to longer mix time and also to fold the dough ball a little more.  I think that might be the best approach for me in making this type of pizza. I am still using more cheddar than mozzarella on this kind of pizza.  Just by looking at the finished pizza and tasting it, it would be hard in my opinion to know that more cheddar cheese is used.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #449 on: August 29, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #450 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
Norma

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #451 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »
Hey Norma,

Normally, I'm a WFO guy, but had a blue moon party to go to and wanted to bring some pizza to the party. I have a 50 lb bag of full strength (free sample) that I'm trying to get rid of, so when I read this post, I figured I'd give it a try. I made it twice in the last week. A 3 day cold ferment and a 22 hr cold ferment. It was kind of like a focaccia/sicilian hybrid. I had a plethora of over-ripe tomatoes, so I just used the dough recipe and topped it with sliced tomato, some thinly sliced candy onions and shredded mozz/provo with some fresh herbs, Olive Oil and grated parm post bake. I didn't have a steel pan, so I used a ceramic 17x11ish pampered chef pan my mom gave me years ago. I had to cut the temp back to 450ish to make it all work, but work it did!

Amazing! The 3 day ferment was noticeably better than the 22 hour.  I'd definitely ferment 3 days if I did it again! Thanks for the recipe and your documentation of it all! I'll be playing with this one much more, as it's now a delicious option for non-WFO deliciousness as I use up the flour! Hopefully pics next time!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #452 on: September 04, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »
Hey Norma,

Normally, I'm a WFO guy, but had a blue moon party to go to and wanted to bring some pizza to the party. I have a 50 lb bag of full strength (free sample) that I'm trying to get rid of, so when I read this post, I figured I'd give it a try. I made it twice in the last week. A 3 day cold ferment and a 22 hr cold ferment. It was kind of like a focaccia/sicilian hybrid. I had a plethora of over-ripe tomatoes, so I just used the dough recipe and topped it with sliced tomato, some thinly sliced candy onions and shredded mozz/provo with some fresh herbs, Olive Oil and grated parm post bake. I didn't have a steel pan, so I used a ceramic 17x11ish pampered chef pan my mom gave me years ago. I had to cut the temp back to 450ish to make it all work, but work it did!

Amazing! The 3 day ferment was noticeably better than the 22 hour.  I'd definitely ferment 3 days if I did it again! Thanks for the recipe and your documentation of it all! I'll be playing with this one much more, as it's now a delicious option for non-WFO deliciousness as I use up the flour! Hopefully pics next time!

weemis,

I am glad the dough recipe worked out for you and you liked it.  I can imagine from the longer fermentation time that your Sicilian pies had a better crust taste than mine do with your 3 day cold ferment.  I like GM Full Strength for this formulation, but KAAP also worked. 

Your choice of dressing sure sounds good.  :) I am also glad your ceramic pampered chef worked out okay for you. Good thinking to decrease the temperature when using a different pan.   

I think this is a easy method for a Sicilian pie.

I would be interested in seeing some pictures if you can post some another time. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: September 06, 2012, 08:21:23 AM »
I did another experiment of only proofing the dough in the steel pan for Ĺ hr., instead of the usual 1 hr. or more.  The steel pan with the dough was placed on top of my oven to proof for Ĺ hr.  The resulting crumb was lighter.  I would have thought proofing the dough for a longer period would have produced a lighter crust, but this was one time it didnít.  The dough ball was warmed-up for a longer time before it was floured and placed in the steel pan though.  That also could have been why the crumb was lighter.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #454 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:20 AM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #455 on: September 06, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »
That is a pretty dough Norma...looks like it would eat very nicely.... light.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
That is a pretty dough Norma...looks like it would eat very nicely.... light.

Thanks Bob!  :)  Steve and I really like Sicilian pies. 

Norma

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #457 on: September 06, 2012, 11:03:02 AM »
Indeed beautiful! the steel pan does a beautiful job of browning, and your crust looks delicious! how long was the dough at room temp before going into the steel pan for proofing?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #458 on: September 06, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
Indeed beautiful! the steel pan does a beautiful job of browning, and your crust looks delicious! how long was the dough at room temp before going into the steel pan for proofing?

weemis,

Those steel pans do a good job of browning.  I use a fair amount of corn oil to oil the steel pan.  The dough ball was at room temperature for about 2 hrs. and it was very warm and muggy.  If you want me to take a picture of the dough ball next week before I open it and put it into the steel pan I can.

Norma

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #459 on: September 07, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
Beautiful as always Norma ;D

pizzapan