Author Topic: do all sourdough starter cultures become the same?  (Read 23494 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: do all sourdough starter cultures become the same?
« Reply #320 on: August 25, 2012, 03:30:47 AM »
Wow, please let us know how it turns out. I'd buy a few starters and give it a go with my Ishchia starter.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Online kramer73

« Reply #321 on: August 26, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »
here's a random question:

I'm making a starter with rye flour right now.  It's beginning to rise everyday about an inch.

Anyway, I will probably switch to an unbleached AP or maybe the KA white whole wheat at some point.

My question is, if I kept it as rye only, does it matter what kind of flour I use to bake the bread/pizza/whatever?  I know taste will probably be affected, but I was just curious.

cornicione54

« Reply #322 on: August 26, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »
here's a random question:

I'm making a starter with rye flour right now.  It's beginning to rise everyday about an inch.

Anyway, I will probably switch to an unbleached AP or maybe the KA white whole wheat at some point.

My question is, if I kept it as rye only, does it matter what kind of flour I use to bake the bread/pizza/whatever?  I know taste will probably be affected, but I was just curious.

You can absolutely make pizza dough from a rye starter (I have done in the past). However the more rye starter you use, the higher the percentage rye that ends up in your final dough. This means less gluten  in the dough making it harder to handle/stretch the dough when making the pizza. For pizza dough, you'll probably want to stick with bread or high gluten wheat flours if you're using a lot of rye starter. If it's just a small amount then AP, 00 etc. will be fine.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 05:36:56 PM by cornicione54 »

pizzapan