Author Topic: Oily cheese woes  (Read 2256 times)

Offline jtwg

Oily cheese woes
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »
I have been experimenting with some unusual pizza varieties, and part of this involves using some decidedly non-traditional cheeses. I'm finding that some cheeses, like cheddar and Swiss produce a lot of oil when melted. Does anyone know of a good way to mitigate this, short of dabbing the surface with paper towels?

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Oily cheese woes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
I don't really understand what you expect people to tell you. You can't change what the cheese is, cheese contains fat, and it comes out of the cheese during cooking. You can limit to a degree the amount, by using larger cuts or pieces of cheese. Finely grated cheese, even mozzarella will "oil off" to a good degree while cooking. Some people will start with very cold, nearly frozen cheese to limit browning and oiling off. The tried and true method still seems to be soaking it up with a napkin.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline jtwg

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
Your answer is pretty good, so I'd say that's what I was expecting.

;D

I guess I was just wondering what strategies people employed. I was considering trying adding the cheese 1/2 way through cooking to see if that helped.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
The oil makes it even better.
 ;D
-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
 I like to let the oil run down my arm! :-D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »
Heck, I add EXTRA (chili) oil to my cheese pies!
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:35:11 PM »
jtwg,

In general, cheeses like cheddar cheese tend to have higher fat content than other cheeses, so they tend to oil off more than other cheeses. There may be some brands of cheddar cheese that do not oil off as much as other brands, but I have not found them at retail. But, to answer your question more directly, yes, it is possible to add the cheddar cheese later during the bake, for the very purpose of reducing the oiling off of that cheese. That is what I did with the pizza shown and described at Reply 307 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472. In my case, the cheddar cheese was part of a blend with mozzarella cheese. I would have preferred to use only cheddar cheese but the brand I was using was either sharp or extra sharp and I used the mozzarella cheese to soften the flavor of the cheddar cheese.

Peter

Offline jtwg

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 11:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Peter. That looks pretty good. I'll definitely try that next time.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 01:40:06 AM »
Craig, your cheese pie looks incredibly crispy which is how I like it.  Any chance it was as crispy as it looks?  Looks phenomenal. 

pizzapan