Author Topic: I would like your opinion on this oven  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Bigfoot21075

I would like your opinion on this oven
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am still searching for the right oven for me. Someone posted this link

http://www.brickwoodovens.com/Ovens.html

What is your opinion on this type of oven? Is it too high inside (the small has a 17" height and large has a 19" inside height)? The door opening is 100%, will too much heat escape?

buceriasdon

Re: I would like your opinion on this oven
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »
I would look elsewhere. Poor design. That's my vote.
Don

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
I agree. As if the 100% opening wasn't bad enough, there doesn't appear to be any insulation anywhere on the oven, including the floor.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
I bet it takes a ton of wood to keep it at 800+ (if you even can).

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

parallei

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »
The form is a clever idea.  It would be cool if the made a form, similar to the one they are selling, for Neapolitan style oven.

Agree on the don't purchase.  Hard to believe it isn't insulated.

Online shuboyje

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Are fireplaces normally insulated? lol.  I feel for anyone who builds one of those expecting anything more then a poorly designed outdoor fireplace. 

A form like that would be nice if you were building lots of ovens, but for a one off oven a sand form is easy and effective. 
-Jeff

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »
THANKS everyone! I APPRECIATE your expertise. I am moving on in the search.

Offline Mike.Wallcot

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
Left Forum
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:25:56 PM by Mike.Wallcot »

Online shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »
Mike,

Sorry, But I've probably got more knowledge about pizza ovens in my pinky then the designer of that oven has in their entire body.  I'm happy it's working for you, but it is without a doubt the worst design I have seen to date
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »
Wow!! I know even less about ovens than the designers of that oven, I can tell you insulation is important.  

Your oven can hold heat for hours?  My Forno Bravo Premio oven is a prefab with 4" thick walls with 4-5 layers of insulation will hold heat for days not hours.  And thicker walls 7.5" and a 6" floor?  Really??  Have you considered that it would take substantially more wood to heat up your oven than if it had 2" walls with insulation?   Not only that but you continue to lose a lot of heat out of that big mouth.  Yes your oven works.  With enough wood and time, I'm confident I can get almost any oven to work.  

And what about safety for the kids running around?  How hot is the outside of that oven getting without any insulation and another layer to protect from kiddie hands.   If a kid accidentally placed his hand on the outside, would he get burned? I don't have to have direct working knowledge of your oven to know it's inefficient, but more power to you.  

Not trying to be a jerk here, and I would rather have your oven than NO oven at all, but there are better designs out there...especially for pizza.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:44:36 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Mike.Wallcot

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
-
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:35:53 PM by Mike.Wallcot »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »
You really need your oven to stay hot for "Days"..  Seriously?  Judging from all the negative comments on this site (usually from the same people), I don't think this "Blogging" nonsense is worth my time.  I merely stated that I have this oven and I love it - I don't need it to stay hot for Days..  I need it to work when I use it - which it does.. Wonderfully!  Staying hot for days?  I WOULDN'T want that.

I imagine that this website is patrolled by all the brick oven manufacturers out there and they have their people write disparaging remarks about any brand but theirs.  Just like all other blog site.

I've also noticed after reviewing comments from users that the only good oven is the one they made..  Interesting.

You make comments about the temperature of the outside of the oven without having any knowledge on the oven.  Again.. interesting.  Are you an expert on other things you have no experience / knowledge of too?  I'm sure you do.  I'm sure your the life of your 4 day party..  FYI - you can press your hand against the side of the oven after it's been running for hours and it WILL NOT burn you.. my record is 14 seconds.

Too many comments from haters in this place.  Thought it would be nice to say what a wonderful oven I have, but I was immediately blasted by haters.  Don't need this 5hit!  I'm out of here.

Just noticed you've got 5400+ posts.  DUDE - Get out and get laid.. or get a wife / life.  You have too much time hating behind the keyboard!!

Seriously, lol.

You just joined this site and insult someone who has been here longer than you and has way more knowledge then you will probably ever learn with your attitude. He has that many posts because he HELPS a lot of people. Talking about people who have no information about some thing before they talk? You should take a page out of your own book, he has a wife and kids. And this isn't a "blog" it's a forum there's a difference.

We are better off without you. And I have a feeling you are going to get a ban so far well and have fun with your inferior oven.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
Wow Mike, you can't find someone to substantiate your oven so go on to make all sorts of silly comments.  

You really need your oven to stay hot for "Days"..  Seriously?  Judging from all the negative comments on this site (usually from the same people), I don't think this "Blogging" nonsense is worth my time.  I merely stated that I have this oven and I love it - I don't need it to stay hot for Days..  I need it to work when I use it - which it does.. Wonderfully!  Staying hot for days?  I WOULDN'T want that.

No one said anything about needing an oven to stay hot for days.  We are talking about efficiency here.  The ability to hold and sustain heat for baking pizza and yes it does make a difference during the bake.  On a side note, no I don't need to keep my oven hot for days, but it is nice to bake bread the next moring or use the oven for other baking needs throughout the next day IF I need it.

I imagine that this website is patrolled by all the brick oven manufacturers out there and they have their people write disparaging remarks about any brand but theirs.  Just like all other blog site.

I've also noticed after reviewing comments from users that the only good oven is the one they made..  Interesting.

You are wrong about that, which lends further credibility to your few posts.  If you spend time here, you will actually find that it is quite the opposite of the scenario you dreamt up.  Oven builders are not allowed to troll their products here without making their true identity and motivation be known.   Despite being pleased with the oven I bought, there are also faults there.  If I had to do it over, I would likely go with a different oven if you must know.  On the other hand, I wonder if you have any financial ties to the company that makes your oven.  

You make comments about the temperature of the outside of the oven without having any knowledge on the oven.  Again.. interesting.  Are you an expert on other things you have no experience / knowledge of too?  I'm sure you do.  I'm sure your the life of your 4 day party..  FYI - you can press your hand against the side of the oven after it's been running for hours and it WILL NOT burn you.. my record is 14 seconds.

Dude, you need to chill out and read more carefully.  I never made such assumptions but phrased it in a question.  Without knowing for sure this is what I was wondering but obviously you answered that. 

Just noticed you've got 5400+ posts.  DUDE - Get out and get laid.. or get a wife / life.  You have too much time hating behind the keyboard!!
Really Mike?  Are you serious here DUDE?  So because I can see fault with your oven, this is your response?   For the record, I do have a life and a wife.  Maybe you are right and I do need to go bug my wife more.  BTW, I'm not the only one with a high post count on this board!  :-D  Are you suggesting all the top posters here and elsewhere get a life?  Without people posting, this site would not thrive or survive and there would not be a place for you to make your insulting comments.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:51:44 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online shuboyje

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »
I have a feeling we have all met the designer of that oven today...
-Jeff

Offline Mike.Wallcot

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »
Who you met was a guy who busted his ass building an oven and thought I would join a community site which could appreciate his accomplishments.

Instead, I get blasted by you guys.  And you guys tell me how worthless my oven is.

Why would I want to be a part of that group?  I realize you are all "far superior" in your building experience as many of you have repeatidly stated, but I'm proud of my accomplishments.  Having had limitd building skills, I thought I did well, but I was quickly shot down by the members.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 06:13:17 PM »
Mike, I would love to see a picture of your work though from this oven.  Maybe, you can make a believer out of most people here by posting some respectable results. 

Marlon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
Mike, people are going to say whatever they want to over the net b/c it's just their opinion, nothing more nothing less.  But NO ONE said anything about the time you took to build your oven or the job you did.  Now, I have a lot of respect for DIY'ers or folks who are handy with tools b/c I'm not.  That's why I bought a prefab oven.  So kudos to you for building your own oven.  You should be proud and I too would love to see your work if you decide to post some pictures.

You could have just initially introduced yourself as having that oven and said that you worked really hard and was really proud of your work, and that the oven worked really well for your needs.  I'm sure NO ONE would have blasted you.  And if they did, I would have stuck up for you.  But instead you come out defensive and guns a blazin'.  Your first post in this thread reads as if you actually think your uninsulated oven is better than one of those...well you know...an insulated prefab pizza oven.  

This is a pizza forum and folks here are interested in pizza specific ovens.  Ovens that specialize in cooking pizzas, not turkeys, or chicken pot pie.  It's a real bonus that all ovens can do those other things, but pizza specific ovens are better at reaching and maintaining the high heat needed to make Neapolitan pizza.  

Did you know that Neapolitan pizza is the ONLY style that requires a high temp wood fired pizza oven?  I don't know what the OP had in mind, but you can make ALL other styles of pizza in an unmodified home oven or an LBE (little black egg) pizza oven.   So unless you just have money to burn, or love cooking outdoors, or just want to make Neapolitan pizza, WFO's aren't even necessary.

So when it comes to recommending pizza specific ovens, most on this forum are inclined to recommend pizza specific ovens that can reach and maintain high temps for NP pizza, particularly well insulated and preferably low ceiling wfo's.  Can you have a wfo and not make NP pizza?  Of course, it's a free country and I do it all the time.  Now if your uninsulated oven can reach those high temps (825F plus) and maintain those temps then that's great!  Post up some pics of you baking NP pizza and a shot of you holding an IR gun showing the high temp. Having said that, members here including myself, can make NP pizza & other styles with non specific pizza ovens.  It just takes a bit more effort but it's not impossible.  

But like I already said, I would rather have your oven than no oven at all.  I would rather have a mortarless wfo made with regular bricks than no wfo at all.  And us two guys don't represent the entire community.  We are just 2 guys with opinions that's all.  And I never said your oven is worthless either.  I just said that there are better designs out there, specifically for pizza.  And in truth...there are.  

Why would you want to be apart of this group?  Well that's up to you, you get to decide that.  As far as superior, I don't think so.  I already said that I don't have the knowledge and skill to do a professional job, so I left it up to the professionals.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:08:15 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
Mike,
Hey cool oven, and Looks nice bet you are loving it also I have cooked in similar type of oven see here one of my first parties more than 70 pies  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13867.0.html  workes fine but does use a lot of wood!.  My friend sells these Barrel ovens (precast) as shown in that thread and a few other threads  I have posted.  It CAN  make a neapolitan Pizza, but takes a lot of work due to opening and lack of insulation, and yes the outside gets very hot on the ones I used but just use caution.  Makes  a really great Neo NY style I use it several time a year for demos for him and allway have a good time  Heres another http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13763.0.html
It would not be my choice for personal use because as Chau says I  make (try to ) a specific style of pizza that required a constant 900 degrees. It a great piece of work. Dont take the comments to heart, dont react and lets all be friend here  ;D  this IS a great place to hang and learn Show us some build shots pizzas ...by all means stick around.
John
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:00:35 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
The foam form is a great idea.  I will talk to my foam guy and see how much it would cost for a mulit-part 42" low dome form.

Online shuboyje

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
I love the fact that you have a foam guy, lol
-Jeff