Author Topic: who likes to fish?  (Read 5746 times)

Offline pjt

• Lifetime Member
who likes to fish?
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »
i go atleast once a week year round its a serious addiction

i do saltwater, inshore and offshore out of ny

anybody else here?

what type do you do?

just got back from codfishing today, going to try a fish pizza this weekend

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: who likes to fish?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
I enjoy fishing, used to belong to a bass club. I do a lot of fishing in the summer on the St. Lawrence River near Ogdensburg, NY. Smallmouth bass are my passion.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »
I fly fish. I love it. I am also lucky enough to be currently living in the area with the best fly fishing in the united states, south east idaho.

Offline pizza Doug

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:48:25 PM »
I enjoy the Eastern Sierras, Bishop to Bridgeport.  Lures & fly fishing are great.
I am jealous of jeffereynelson, living and fishing in Southeast Idaho would be awesome!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:13:10 PM »
We dabble...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »
I enjoy fishing, used to belong to a bass club. I do a lot of fishing in the summer on the St. Lawrence River near Ogdensburg, NY. Smallmouth bass are my passion.

We've been known to get after the smallies too.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »
Lake trout are one of my favorites for the plate.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
I grew up fishing nearly daily; bass, inshore, offshore, fly, worked charter boats and the marlin tournament circuit.  Grew up on boats, from home built pirouges to 60+ feet sportfishers.  Haven't wet a line in a year or 2, haven't been offshore in 5.  I have something to look forward to in retirement, I guess.

parallei

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »
I used to be an avid, pretty technical fly fisherman here in Colorado.  With the ncreased popularity of the sport here along the front range, and resulting increase in the number of people on the streams, I pretty much gave it up for a number of years.  Last year I went minimalist and bought a Tenkara rig and spent some time poking around some smaller, more out of the way water and enjoyed myself.  Plan to start up again here soon before the runoff.   Haven't intentionally killed a trout in years.  More or less "wild" trout are a pretty precious thing around here these days.

Smallmouth bass are my passion.

That I would love to do someday!  In a smallish stream, in the fall, with streamers.....

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:59 PM »
Lots of these guys at my back door...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »
@TXCraig

Nice photos! What body of water are you near, ocean perhaps?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:56:20 AM »
@TXCraig

Nice photos! What body of water are you near, ocean perhaps?

Gulf of Mexico
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 08:15:24 AM »
As a kid growing up in Chicago I had an Aunt and Uncle living up in Minocqua, Wisconsin. They owned a resort up there. As soon as school would let out I'd be on a but up to Tomahawk, WI where they would pick me up and bring me to the resort. I'd fish for walleye, northerns, muskie, and yellow perch for the next 30-days, then back home to pick up the airline ticket that my grandparents would send me each year to come down to Clearwater, Florida where I would stay with them and use my grandfather's boat to fish Clearwater Bay for about a month. We also owned two party boats and a charter boat, so when they were not booked full I could always be found on one them fishing for grouper. In the bay I would fish for sand sharks, sea trout, pompano, and lady fish, and always did very well. Today, I fish local lakes here in Kansas as well as the Keni River in Alaska, and Boot Lake in northern Minnesota, plus just about any other body of water where I can get a line into. When I'm not fishing, I'm deer hunting or predator hunting, thinking about it or planning a trip, and when I'm not doing that, I'm trying to look like I'm a productive member of society by holding a regular job here at the American Institute of Baking in Manhattan, Kansas. Life is tough, but someone has to do it!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 08:41:31 AM »
I did quite a bit of fishing in the Long Island sound growing up.  We'd fish for blues, blacks, flounders, flukes and strippers. Blues were my favorite to go after, as they put up quite a fight. Blues are also one of my favorite eating fish. If you smoke them up like salmon they taste incredible.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
I haven't seen clean water or a boat in about 4 years :'(, Really miss it. I do get the occasional dream were I am surrounded by 60' muskies.

That and a good snowmobile dream....

Offline pjt

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
I did quite a bit of fishing in the Long Island sound growing up.  We'd fish for blues, blacks, flounders, flukes and strippers. Blues were my favorite to go after, as they put up quite a fight. Blues are also one of my favorite eating fish. If you smoke them up like salmon they taste incredible.

i agree, im not a fan of straight blue fish, but smoked blue fish is outstanding, as long as you bleed them first, theyre great

i am in long island too, i fish all year round, cod in the winter, and blues, fluke, striper, seabass in summer

Offline pjt

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
Lots of these guys at my back door...

beautiful fish, what type of boat do you have

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
beautiful fish, what type of boat do you have

WorldCat 330TE

It's for sale if you want it...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pjt

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 10:39:33 PM »
im actually in the market for a boat, i have a 19 foot striper right now that i use for inshore fishing, when i go offshore i have to charter, i was looking for something, just dont know how id move  boat from texas   :-\

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 11:08:12 PM »
It has gotten so bad that Pops sold his boat, the Lagniappe,  because none of us sons could go fish with him. His and all of our dream boat, a 53' Hatteras, good motors and cold AC, properly rigged for bills.  No tower because he kept in in Ft Lauderdale.  Sigh