Author Topic: Anyone know any pizzerias which are popular but serving bad pizza?  (Read 8863 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Anyone know any pizzerias which are popular but serving bad pizza?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »
I can think of lots of places that don't live up to their hype. I think mozza falls into that category, but the pizza isn't garbage.

I can't stand dominos. But I don't think their real goal is to sell good pizza. I think they concentrate more on price, availability, and consistency. This new image they are trying to create is destroying any good childhood memories I had. Their marketing director should be fired immediately. Some of my favorites are-
"We had terrible pizza, now come try our new terrible pizza with seasoning on the crust."
"We now make hot subs because our pizza still blows."
"We serve parmesan bread bites and our CEO is an idiot."

Online PizzaVera

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »
I can see Col. Jessep on the stand in the movie A Few Good Men... "You F'n people. You have no idea how to make a pizza."   :-D

lol... "you want me on that oven, you need me on that oven!, you just weakened a pizza nation today kaffy"!

I didnt read what TXCraig1 wrote before I added my little line, I think TX CRAIG summed it up real nice with that powerful pizza oscar speech! ahahahaha
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:45:39 PM by PizzaVera »

Offline pizza Doug

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
Little Ceasars.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
My vote goes to recently opened and visited anthinoy francos coal fired pizza
Still have nightmares about that pie but man is it packed everyday!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
  you all forget we are a bunch of pizza geeks. in our area there is a pizzeria called wood and wine. they make America style and Neapolitan using caputo and the same oven using low enough temperature to cook traditional and Neapolitan . so we eat the pizza and we taste a margherita that is dry,overly crispy, also white in color. we would not like it because we know what caputo baked at high temperature tastes like.most of the public doesn't. so they are loving the product. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
  you all forget we are a bunch of pizza geeks. in our area there is a pizzeria called wood and wine. they make America style and Neapolitan using caputo and the same oven using low enough temperature to cook traditional and Neapolitan . so we eat the pizza and we taste a margherita that is dry,overly crispy, also white in color. we would not like it because we know what caputo baked at high temperature tastes like.most of the public doesn't. so they are loving the product. 

I can't disagree with what you say Larry, but I'm curious. What would you say to a customer who told you that your Neapolitan pizza was not good, that it doesn't taste like the real Neapolitan pizza they got from Wood and that Wine?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Gizz

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 10:19:02 AM »
I must add my 2c. I recently tried California Pizza Kitchen and the pizza was just Blaaaaah. I remember the little rectangle pizza's from my grade school cafeteria having more flavor. The place was packed to the back though, and everyone seemed happy. I don't know. Maybe I ordered the wrong item.... or they were training that night.... but I guess I my expectations were higher because the word "Pizza" is part of the business name.

Thanks........Tee

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
After reading back, I see that Lombardi's was mentioned and I have to agree.

My college roommate was from Brooklyn and he used to always rant about how bad our pizza in Ohio was compared to what you could get in NYC. So when I visited NYC for the first time I figured that I had to try some pizza. I had no idea where to go but I had heard of Lombardi's and how long they had been around, so I figured that they must be doing something right.

I was very underwhelmed. I can't say that it was terrible, but it was average at best. I had plenty of pizza in Ohio that was far better IMO. Perhaps if my expectations were not so high, I may have liked it a little more, but it sure didn't seem like legendary pizza to me.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
Pizzeria Paradiso in DC comes to mind. I was not at all impressed with the pizza, but the place was packed. I think the reasons JT noted hit the nail on the head. Also, if you're told the pizza is good and you don't know any better, (unless it is really bad) you will probably think it is good in blissful ignorance, and then tell others who don't know any better. It's sad.

HA! my friend is the manager of Pizza P and he loves the pizza. i thought it wasn't what he built it up to be, but didn't want to hurt his feelings.  :-X

they're cooking with a woodstone at around 650 with a 7 or so minute bake time. people really do love that place, though. i guess a super-stacked beer list probably helps the pizza taste better  ;D
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »
Lots of them around me. But people around here don't know what good pizza is so...

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »
 craig, good question i would hope i could produce a pizza that would not allow the customer to say that. after 30 years i realize that you will not get every one to like what you do,if you did there would be no competition. i do not put down my competition so would would say that my pizza is traditional Neapolitan that has to cook hot and fast to  get the full experience of  the real pizza of naples . i would ask them what they like about wood and wine so i could see what the customers perception was. it is always my goal to see what i did wrong so it can be improved. trust me i examine my bus tubs for uneaten food.if it is there my waitstaff gets questioned.

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »
You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.                                                                                                             
                                                                                                  ~ Abraham Lincoln

If I go to your establishment and do not like your pizza - I will make it a point to tell you about it.  I'll take my chances that you will tell me to get out and not come back. There are plenty of bad pizza places in Houston - I try to look for reviews before dining out.

A real pizzeria is driven by someone with a passion for making pizza first and foremost.  Someone who truly loves their craft.  (including the pizza makers with horrible recipes)  If money were no object ... this someone would still choose to make pizzas.

A business like the chain type-pizza joints are driven by corporations or entrepreneurs with a passion for making money first and foremost. These businesses are completely devoid of a passion for making real pizza.  If money were no object... these corporations, entrepreneurs and their employees are all individuals who would choose to never touch a ball of dough again.

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

In Baltimore, Brick Oven Pizza (BOP) comes immediately to mind.

http://www.boppizza.com/

There is a running joke among the more hardcore Baltimore pizza peeps......What do Guy Fieri, Kevin Bacon, George Carlin and Luciano Pavarotti have in common? They don't know s#&t about pizza.

Crust is often super floppy, under cooked, long bake times, heavy gum lines, bland and often not noticeably better than a bake done in a conveyor oven. "Darker" tasting, tired marinara like sauce, mediocre cheese....you get the picture. And yet the joint is always packed. Go figure--K

Could not agree more, I have been there twice - both times just not good. Especially now that there is Coal Fire close by. That place has good pizza but no crowds yet  ???

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »
As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, taste is in the palate of the diner. I always remember the story about a U.S. air base that was closed down in Turkey many years ago. In the emergency shelter they had tons of survival biscuits (high calorie biscuits loaded with fat). As these were at out of date by the time of base closing it was decided to bury the biscuits in a trench. This was done and all was good until the base was turned over to the locals, who, upon gaining access to the base, were curious as to what was buried in that trench so they dug it up and found what they perceived to be a treasure trove of a local delicacy, rancid fat. The local delicacy was essentially rancid yak butter, and evidentally those survival biscuits, however rancid they were, became a delicacy to the local palate, and all was good. Not exactly my cup of tea, but who am I to argue?
On a side note: I was living in Chicago when the first woodfired pizzas were introduced there. What a fiasco that was! You see, the locals were not used to that type of pizza so it was perceived to be burnt, and they were sent back to the kitchen with the admonishment "this pizza is burnt!" Then the word went out that "you don't want to eat at a pizzeria that has one of those wood burning ovens, because they burn the pizzas". That really slowed down woodfired pizzas in the Windy City. It's all good now because they are used to it, and know what to expect, but it sure didn't begin that way.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
You see, the locals were not used to that type of pizza so it was perceived to be burnt, and they were sent back to the kitchen with the admonishment "this pizza is burnt!"]You see, the locals were not used to that type of pizza so it was perceived to be burnt, and they were sent back to the kitchen with the admonishment "this pizza is burnt!"
 :-\

That gave me a chuckle. I am in a market where "Pizza Hut" = pizza, and nothing else. Or the real local chains which offer white bread with ketchup and cheese.

Unfortunately, I just had my current employer invest in a pizza oven for me. The Expat community is going nuts with the pizza I am putting out, but the locals want their wonder bread crust. So we are thinking we will have to offer both styles.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 12:04:30 PM »
There's a place in town near me that sells the only WFO pizza for 200 miles. It's a shame the pizza tastes like %$#. They don't even realize the market they could capture with that oven if they only educated themselves on how to use it properly. Pizzas come out with very little to no char, undercooked veggies and mediocre toppings. It's akin to a pizza made on naan bread and warmed up in the microwave.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:16:25 AM by DNA Dan »

Online PizzaVera

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
It's akin to a pizza made on nan bread and warmed up in the microwave.

HAHAHAHAHA. ohhhh man I think the for the first in my life I don't feel like pizza. ok I am off to  look at some pictures of pizza to get that image of naan pizza out of my head hahahha

Offline David Deas

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 07:14:49 PM »

is it just most Americans really still don't know good food?

Please.  Go to Italy and try some BBQ.

Online PizzaVera

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »

what do you mean?

parallei

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »
Quote from: David Deas on Today at 07:14:49 PM

what do you mean?

Far be it from me to put words in Mr. Deas' mouth, but I think he means, and I agree, that all parts of the world have their own exceptional foods........

pizzapan