Author Topic: Anyone know any pizzerias which are popular but serving bad pizza?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Anyone know any pizzerias which are popular but serving bad pizza?
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
Walter,

That is a really great facility you have there...nice layout and it looks pretty roomy.Very nice! How many students do you instruct at a time?
Congrats on the ovens score...I remember when you told us about that. I'll bet the kids are really impressed and excited to get going on the "real deal"!
You say this is at a public school, huh. How many kids are involved with the special needs program and are you responsible for any other curriculm. Sounds like you are quite proud and happy with your work....I would be too. Thanks!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »
every pie I have tried in Ohio is bad in comparision to what I raised on in the NYC area.  I think it is all what you are use to.  Walter

Nope. Pizza in Ohio really is that bad. You can go into a gas station in rural Maine and get better pizza than they serve at most pizzerias in Ohio. But then, it's hard to get good pizza almost everywhere outside of NY/NJ/New England.

Despite what I just said, I've managed to gain an appreciation for some Ohio pizza over the last couple years. There are some unique types of crust around here (that probably came into existence by mistake or 'happy accident'). Unfortunately, they're usually topped with crappy sauce, cheese, and toppings.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 11:59:13 AM »
Where do you live?  I am in Granville.  I teach at Newark High School and my program teaches special needs students life/vocational skills via a brand new commerical kitchen that includes 2  classic blodgett 1000 pizza ovens I scored.   We sell home made dog biscuits, pizzas, breads, baked goods, to the staff and community.  The ovens should be hooked up in a couple weeks.   If you want to cook some real pizzas (real from my backround) come on out to my classroom this summer.  I have to get the feel for these ovens and no better way to do so than make a bunch of pizzas and breads.   Walter

here is a link to my new classroom before I had the blodgetts brought in.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/waltertore/my%20new%20classroom/

here are a few pictures of the ovens, my students making pies, and a cheese pie made in our residential oven.  

I live in NE Ohio. I lived in central Ohio from 1983-1995 so I'm quite familiar with Newark. It sounds like you have a nice thing going there with the special needs students. I wish you well.

---

As for the quality (or lack thereof) of pizza in Ohio, for the most part I would agree. This is why I started making my own. I was very much part of the pizza scene in the Columbus area for years. It was a very competitive market, but it was all about price and speed and not necessarily quality. If you could make a reasonably edible product, and sell it cheap, you could be very successful.

Here in my area, there are a few joints that rise a little above the huge sea of mediocrity that surrounds us. I recently tried Lorenzo's (thezaman's), and proved that excellent pizza is out there, you just have to look for it. I only wish that he was a little closer, but it's worth the 20 minute drive.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:22:41 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
Walter,

That is a really great facility you have there...nice layout and it looks pretty roomy.Very nice! How many students do you instruct at a time?
Congrats on the ovens score...I remember when you told us about that. I'll bet the kids are really impressed and excited to get going on the "real deal"!
You say this is at a public school, huh. How many kids are involved with the special needs program and are you responsible for any other curriculum. Sounds like you are quite proud and happy with your work....I would be too. Thanks!

Bob

thanks Bob!  I have been running programs similar to this one in CA and TX.  When I came to Newark High School I was able to work my way into an old home ec. room that was not being used.  From there I started things rolling with first Max's T-Biscuits for Dogs and then  started making pizzas every Friday for my students and staff.  I offered them for free to the staff and as the buzz grew I introduced baguettes/semolina/sourdough/white/wheat sandwich breads, brownies, muffins, cookies, etc..   5 years later here we are in this wonderful kitchen.  Luckily the superintendent, board of education, and principals at my school got behind the idea.  We took in over 20k last year selling to students, staff, Max's T- Biscuits via local businesses/mail orders, and an occasional catering job.   Now that we are all up to code we are branching out to the community and getting great response.  I forsee us with shelf space in a few markets/cafes and will run a to go service from our room.  Community members can call in orders and pick them up.   Our prices are cheap and the ingredients top shelf.  

I work with Developmentally Delayed (MR) students.  They are with me all day and running a working business naturally incorporates functional academics.  The more the businesses grow the more students I can take in.  I am working on getting our dog biscuits in some chain pet food stores/high end pet catalogs.  If this happens we will be able to reach many dozens of special needs/at risk regular education students as well as the disabled adult community via their workshops.  

The room is approx 1,600 sq ft and the board of health inspector said we have the nicest kitchen in the county.  The blodgett 1000 ovens fit perfectly under the exhaust hood.  I was raised in the bakery/pizza scene in NJ via my mother's side who is from Italy.  

Ryan/Colonel Klink:   I am sure there is good pizza in Ohio.  I will check that place out next time we are out that way.

here is a video I was inspired to make the other day. It gives some info on where the universe is directing my journey.  Feel free to share it with anyone you think might have some good vibes to send us :)  I am off to watch the Yankees do some damage on them Soxs!

<a href="http://youtu.be/st-7b-g7s7A" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/st-7b-g7s7A</a>
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:15:16 PM by waltertore »

Offline scott123

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 04:26:27 AM »
I recently tried Lorenzo's (thezaman's), and proved that excellent pizza is out there, you just have to look for it. I only wish that he was a little closer, but it's worth the 20 minute drive.

I've had Larry's pizza as well- rewarmed.  It's a completely different experience than what I grew up with in NY and what I'm used to, but I enjoyed it tremendously.

Let's try not to paint Ohio with too broad of a brush.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I will be going to Lorenzo's today for dinner. He has his WFO set up in the parking lot on Sundays. ;D

I like his in-house pizza a lot too. The sauce is what does it for me.

Offline Alan23

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
"Where do you live?  I am in Granville.  I teach at Newark High School and my program teaches special needs students life/vocational skills via a brand new commerical kitchen that includes 2  classic blodgett 1000 pizza ovens I scored."

Oh, man.  There's an expensive boutique rent-a-workshop chain that has a facility here.  Table saws, Bridgeports, CAD terminals, all that, for only a $800/yr membership.  I wouldn't do that but if I could get my hands on a Blodgett to try and learn something about this pizza stuff, I'd be there just as soon as I can brush my teeth and comb my hair.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
Not that hard, Alan, just read everything on this site that interests you.  Maybe look around your local area, see what you like, go for a PT job just see what the fast-paced production life is like.  If you get lucky, you could even find a shop with a crusty ol' pizzaiolo who will teach you the wayz of the Force.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »
Here in my area, there are a few joints that rise a little above the huge sea of mediocrity that surrounds us. I recently tried Lorenzo's (thezaman's), and proved that excellent pizza is out there, you just have to look for it. I only wish that he was a little closer, but it's worth the 20 minute drive.

20 minutes? Are you kidding me?  Here in California, where we drive everywhere for ridiculous distances, I motor 45 minutes to get my pizza fix at Michael's Pizza in the armpit-ghetto known as Stockton.  About every other month I make the pilgrimage (in body armor, of course).  If I lived 20 minutes away, I'd be a regular.  I'd rate Michael's combo (their best pizza IMO) about an 8 out of 10.  His toppings are outstanding.  The crust is cruchy but chewy with a nice, big roll all around, sometimes too much roll to knaw on.  http://michaelspizzacafe.com/menu-pizza.html This is by far the best pizza within 100 miles here in central CA.  Michael's Pizza best eaten when served scalding hot out of the oven and the first few bites are heaven, but the product seems to decline noticably in utility toward the end of the meal.  Reheated the next day at home is OK, but the essence is long gone.  Here's another few good shots of their product http://michaelspizzacafe.com/pizza.html

With some work, I think I could beat Michael's if I decide to throw my hat in the ring, but I wouldn't have to compete because of the distance involved.  I live just outside the city of Oakdale, a small town of 20K and the biggest wide spot in the road on the way to Yosemite National Park.  Tens of thousands pass by weekly coming and going from Yosemite.  Many are starved after hiking all weekend.  The best pizza around here is a Round Table.  I think I could make a small fortune (after starting with a large one) with a prominent restaurant on the main drag, where it's busy during the week but backed-up for miles on the weekends.

When I was a kid, there was an outstanding place in Stockton called Pepe's.  Un-freakin-believable.  Pepe's closed in about 1972.  He moved to the mountain town of Arnold in retirement, got bored, reopened in the middle of no where and had this second-wind for a few years before checking-out.  He made a 10/10, the best I've ever had. Does anybody remember Pepe's or have I outlived my contemporaries?

RE

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:52:51 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
20 minutes? Are you kidding me?  Here in California, where we drive everywhere for ridiculous distances, I motor 45 minutes to get my pizza fix at Michael's Pizza in the armpit-ghetto known as Stockton.  About every other month I make the pilgrimage (in body armor, of course).  If I lived 20 minutes away, I'd be a regular.  
20 minutes is probably best case with no traffic. Last time it took almost 30 minutes. We do intend to be regulars, but if we want pizza at home, we're talking an hour round trip. There are probably 20 pizza joints within 5 minutes of my house, but none of them even come close to Lorenzos.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:55:48 PM by Colonel_Klink »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
20 minutes is probably best case with no traffic. Last time it took almost 30 minutes. We do intend to be regulars, but if we want pizza at home, were talking an hour round trip. There are probably 20 pizza joints within 5 minutes of my house, but none of them even come close to Lorenzos.

I guarantee that none have passion anywhere close to Larry's.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
I guarantee that none have passion anywhere close to Larry's.
No doubt!

Offline scott123

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
I'd rate Michael's combo (their best pizza IMO) about an 8 out of 10.  His toppings are outstanding.

RE, not to sound like a broken record, but if you consider Michael's an 8 out of 10, consider yourself ready to have your mind blown when you start making real NY style pizza (with our help).  If that's all your area has, you can start a real NY place with an extremely small fortune, and, if you have the amount of tourists coming through that you say you do, you will be an incredibly wealthy man in a very short amount of time. In an area with good traffic and no real competition, I would predict you'd clear your first million in 5 years.

If you go Neapolitan... with Yosemite visitors... I don't think you'll make as much.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
RE, not to sound like a broken record, but if you consider Michael's an 8 out of 10, consider yourself ready to have your mind blown when you start making real NY style pizza (with our help).  If that's all your area has, you can start a real NY place with an extremely small fortune, and, if you have the amount of tourists coming through that you say you do, you will be an incredibly wealthy man in a very short amount of time. In an area with good traffic and no real competition, I would predict you'd clear your first million in 5 years.

If you go Neapolitan... with Yosemite visitors... I don't think you'll make as much.

Hmm . . .

If my hunch is correct and you are right too, Scott, this place just might be a gold mine. There's no bypass so every car has to inch through town on the way to the park, and those tourists are starving, especially on the way home.  The waters in the rivers they are rafting in are ice cold and the mountains breath-taking with miles of endless trails.  By the time they drive an hour down the hill on the highway to our town, they are looking to fry road kill.  Sometimes the backup in town is 4-5 miles during the summer.

3 Pizzerias to choose from here:

Round Table--Ho hum, better than nothing but not much.
Mountain Mikes--Local chain that serves up Catsup and Cheese on a glorified cracker. Uniquely metalic, processed taste.
Little Caesars--Trying to describe  . . . (uncontrolled vomitting, please stand by) . . . umm, bad.

A couple of locations available $1500/month or so.

. . . anybody need a 50 y/o hard working-for-free-MBAd-apprentice for a month?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:13:21 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2012, 12:31:24 AM »
. . . anybody need a 50 y/o hard working-for-free-MBAd-apprentice for a month?

Actually, I do....pack your bags!  :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
I'd have a nice deck oven sitting on/in a trailer by that roadside so fast yer head would spin...where'd you say this was... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline EZPIZZA

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
Walter, I live in NJ now, but I went to college at Denison in the 1970's and I used to get pizza from a place called Granvilla. It had a cracker crust, minimal sauce and cheese that was quite different from any pizza I have ever had. The cheese almost seemed to be mix of a hard cheese like parmesan and mozzarella. I was wondering if it still open?

Offline mr_melvis

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »
LaRosa's in Cincinnati....  If you grew up there, you think it's the best pizza in the world.  If you grew up anywhere else........not so much.  Sauce is too sweet, dough too bready etc. - just an all around less than desireable pizza (sorry LaRosa's fans...).

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Walter, I live in NJ now, but I went to college at Denison in the 1970's and I used to get pizza from a place called Granvilla. It had a cracker crust, minimal sauce and cheese that was quite different from any pizza I have ever had. The cheese almost seemed to be mix of a hard cheese like parmesan and mozzarella. I was wondering if it still open?

What a world- you now living in NJ, and me, from NJ, living in Granville.  Check out Star Tavern in Orange for a unique pie and one of my favorites.   I have been here 6 years and no such place since we  have been here.  There are 4 places in granville serving pizza and all are terrible.  Elms is the longest running and IMO not worth eating if it was given to me for free.  Granville and central Ohio is a wonderful place to live for many things but not food like I am use growing up in the NYC area.  Walter

http://www.newarkcityschools.org/content_page2.aspx?cid=1032
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:59:41 AM by waltertore »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
Ledos pizza. Had some tonight.  It was inedible.  The crust was so bad.  Yet, this chain is popular around here for good knows what reason.

pizzapan