Author Topic: Making Pizza in Baltimore  (Read 2443 times)

Offline PizzaDiFiore

Making Pizza in Baltimore
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
Well, I'm back in the saddle and working on developing my concept in Baltimore!  For the time being I have been making pizzas at one of the cafes that I own.  I purchased a Nemco 120v double stack oven.  As much as I would love to have a 220v, I am located in a building on the campus of The University of MD, Baltimore and I cannot have a higher amperage line added.  This location has afforded me the ability to work on some recipes and flavor combinations and actually sell them to the public while I develop my recipes.  I would consider the pizzas California style.  The feedback has been great and I am really getting better at dough management and opening.  We have done alot of sampling and we only sell pizza once a week (Thursday).  I have been making 35 (10oz) dough balls a week   I make as much as possible from scratch (currently using a modified NY Style dough recipe to match the underpowered oven).  In my future pizzeria I would like to have a WFO (I know, big surprise here), but I fell in love with pizza in Naples and Sorrento years ago!. 

I want to post some photos and use this thread to hopefully garner some feedback on a few ideas I have in the process.  I will also post about opening a pizzeria and what that process entails.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

Re: Making Pizza in Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
Patata Bianca-  House-made ricotta, Roasted creamer potatoes, rosemary, pepperoncini, sea salt, cracked black pepper, evoo.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »
Edwin's Favorite-Shaved Brussels Sprouts, Fior di Latte, San Marzano Tomatoes, Roasted Broccoli, Sun Dried Tomato, Red Onion, Roasted Garlic, Sea Salt, Pepper, EVOO

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
My pies are single serving and run around 11" in diameter.  I've been having a great time making them and I cannot wait to get into my own pizzeria eventually!

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »
Here is my version of the venerable BBQ Chicken Pizza.  Chicken Breast Confit, Applewood smoked bacon, House-made Hickory smoked BBQ sauce, Fior di Latte, Red Onion and Braised Collard Greens.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
Erika's Favorite

House-made parmesan Beef & Pork Meatballs, Ricotta, Red Onion and Sun-dried tomato pesto.  I tossed on a little fresh Watercress for color.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »
Here's my Banucci!

House-made Fennel Sausage over Ricotta with Red Onion and topped with a fresh baby spinach salad dressed lightly with EVOO, Sea Salt and Black Pepper

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
Margherita, my wife's favorite!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »
Nice looking pies.  I love the topping combinations.  Welcome.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »
Nice Pies. I love people who have dreams and go out there and accomplish them.

You said you have house made ricotta, so wouldn't that also imply your mozzarella is also homemade too? For me that would be a selling point, but I hate making it, such a pain in the butt.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »
I have in the past, but I am not currently making my own Mozzarella.  My plan, once I get my Pizzeria, is to make the mozz in house.  I also want to rig up my chimney to possibly smoke my own Mozz and other items.  I've never seen this done, and I don't know if it's possible.

Offline franko9752

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
Hi and welcome. Tasty looking pies there. I would say they have a California style look. Creative toppings too.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »
I have in the past, but I am not currently making my own Mozzarella.  My plan, once I get my Pizzeria, is to make the mozz in house.  I also want to rig up my chimney to possibly smoke my own Mozz and other items.  I've never seen this done, and I don't know if it's possible.

Ideally you do not want to hot smoke mozzarella directly from your chimney. I wonder if there is a way to vent a portion of your chimney (with a closeable diverter valve to keep smoke going only up when making pizzas) into some type of cold box so you could cold smoke the mozzarella.

Interesting thought at least. I love cold smoked mozzarella. The cherry wood smoked mozzarella from Maplebrook Farms in Vermont is very, very good stuff! --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »
I have in the past, but I am not currently making my own Mozzarella.  My plan, once I get my Pizzeria, is to make the mozz in house.  I also want to rig up my chimney to possibly smoke my own Mozz and other items.  I've never seen this done, and I don't know if it's possible.

For smoking stuff like cheeses you need cold smoke. Take a look at this gizmo, I have and it does a great job. I just light it and set it in a box on a plate then put the food in the box. It smolders so it does not get hot, just smokey.

http://www.cookinpellets.com/amazin-smoker/?sl=EN

Your pizzas are looking good!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »
PizzaDiFiore,

Delicous looking pies!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »
Thanks Norma, it was great running into you at Root's!  Next time I'm up there, I'll swing by and say hi to you and Steve.  Loved the pepperoni slice, your crust and sauce are great!

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »
For smoking stuff like cheeses you need cold smoke. Take a look at this gizmo, I have and it does a great job. I just light it and set it in a box on a plate then put the food in the box. It smolders so it does not get hot, just smokey.

http://www.cookinpellets.com/amazin-smoker/?sl=EN

Your pizzas are looking good!

I've smoked mozz with my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker with great success.  I was really just thinking outloud as to whether it would be possible to divert the smoke to cold smoke cheese.  I don't think it's really cost effective, but it sounds awesome!

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:31 PM »
Ideally you do not want to hot smoke mozzarella directly from your chimney. I wonder if there is a way to vent a portion of your chimney (with a closeable diverter valve to keep smoke going only up when making pizzas) into some type of cold box so you could cold smoke the mozzarella.

Interesting thought at least. I love cold smoked mozzarella. The cherry wood smoked mozzarella from Maplebrook Farms in Vermont is very, very good stuff! --K

That was my thought exactly.  Now, I think it may be possible to divert the smoke into a cold smoke chamber, but from my experience I'd have to use something other than Oak to for smoking purposes.

I'll check out the smoked Mozz from Maplebrook.  Thanks K!

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
Hi and welcome. Tasty looking pies there. I would say they have a California style look. Creative toppings too.

Thanks Franko, I agree with the California designation.  What I LOVE about pizza is that it can be a vehicle for non-traditional toppings. 

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
Tomorrow is Pizza Day!!!!  Working on some new pies, but running some old ones as well...

I'm going to run again:

Patata Bianca

Edwin's Favorite

Erika's Favorite

BBQ Chicken

Margherita

New:

Buffalo Chicken-hand breaded chicken breast strips, fresh mozzarella, buffalo sauce, crumbled bleu cheese, ricotta, finished with shaved raw celery

Quattro Funghi-baby bella, oyster, shiitake,  & porcini, heavy cream, grana padano, drizzled with balsamic glaze

Anatra & Ananas- san marzano tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, duck breast prosciutto, housemade pineapple and ginger chutney