Author Topic: Best new york pie you've ever made? Time for bragging rights, here's mine.  (Read 8665 times)

Offline JimmyG

Chau,
I would be pleased with that pie too. It looks dynamite, especially the crust.  
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline Jackie Tran

Chau,
 Is that a wfo pie? That looks amazingly good! What flour is that?

Chau,
I would be pleased with that pie too. It looks dynamite, especially the crust. 

Thank you Steve and Jim.  Steve, it was baked in my wfo and the flour is Con Agra's High Power flour.  I believe it is a HG flour that is not bromated.  My first time working with it and I like it so far.  Must do more testing to dial it in.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Would anybody care to post what formula they used for their dough in these amazing pies? I'm looking for a 3-day-ish cold ferment.

Thanks.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline kdefay

Not my best, but one I made last night because I wanted to try out some Thai chili oil that I made.  TXCraig1 had my really intrigued by his use of Calabrian chili oil.  There aren't Calabrian chilies available here, but Thailand has no shortage of chilies, so I decided to play with them.  It was very nice, but I have no reference for chili oil as I have never used it before.

Kirk

Offline Jackie Tran

Just a few photos that I liked from my last wfo bake.

Offline Giggliato

Hello there Jackie Tran,

That top photo of the cheese and sausage is quite good, do you have a link to a high quality version?

Offline Jackie Tran

Hello there Jackie Tran,

That top photo of the cheese and sausage is quite good, do you have a link to a high quality version?

Thank you.  I have it on my computer but don't typically upload pics to a photo sharing site.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Chau,
You know Bob..... ;)

1: Oil pools above cheese are too deep..a more even playing field would disperse this critique...
2: That crust is charred beyond being economically ascetic.

Mine and mine alone opinions....everyone has one...most won't share theirs... ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

Bob you know Chau...I only post what I like.

1) fat from cooking raw sausage equals flavor.  Defintely not the same without it.

2) rim wasn't charred all the way around.  That was just a bubble. Was showing the contrast between crispy char covering light cloudy softness.   The contrast between bits of bitter burnt crust and mellow sweet crumb.  It's art to me.  ;D

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
It's art to me.  ;D

Chau, in this particular photo of the crust you are clearly demonstrating your mastery of the technique known as chiaroscuro! And Serpentelli Like!!! :drool:

John K
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:13:45 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Smokepit

Mine from a week ago after trying a new flour. Definitely my best yet. Everybody else that had some thought so too!

Offline Jackie Tran

Thank you John K.  Smokepit, I'm not surprise that you and your guest enjoyed it. That crust looks great.

Offline Hypersprint

• I Love Pizza!
While I have only been dabbling in making pizzas for a little over a year, my last pie (pictured below) is the best one (I think  ;D) I have made yet

Rob

Offline bradtri

Tonight's bake and probably equal to my best.  Pepperoni was 3:30 bake.  The other pizza was 4:30 bake and the meat topping is leftover "buffalo chicken meatballs" which make a pretty tasty pizza.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Brad,

Those pies look awesome.  Wood fired oven right?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
same recipe, same batch, two different pizzas from the same bake.  i took only four photos, but i feel these were my best in taste/mouthfeel
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline bradtri

Those pies look awesome.  Wood fired oven right?

Pythonic,
   Thanks, but I don't have a WFO yet.   Been really pondering whether to build one or not, but I've been cranking out some pretty decent pies on my Big Steel Keg.  I get stone temps of around 650 and 3:30 to 4:30 bake times. 

I'm not sure if my pies qualify as NY.  I don't feel like I belong in the Neopolitan forum so I usually post in the NY forum, but mine look much different than most of the NY style pics.   What style would you call mine based on looking at the pics?

btw, here's a pic of my Big Steel Keg setup

Offline Tannerwooden

I'm not very good about taking pictures and I took these before I got my camera lens fixed, but these were pretty solid.

Tanner

Offline kdefay

Here's one from last week...

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Here's one from last week...

Kdefay,

I would come to Thailand just to get that pizza!!! :drool:

Perfect combination of the charred crust, melted cheese with small oil pools and fresh tomato cubes. If that doesn't taste as good as it looks then I'll be fit to be Thaied.

I'm serious!  I'm booking a ticket right now!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

pizzapan