Author Topic: Pizza photos from a new guy to the forum  (Read 2063 times)

Offline AdamfromPA

Pizza photos from a new guy to the forum
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »
Greetings!

I'm a DIY'er. I love to cook, brew beer, build vacuum tube musical equipment, garden, do woodworking and carpentry, among a variety of other hobbies and vocations. In recent months, I've began making pizza a couple times a week. I look forward to making my own mozzarella - a process that appears to be quite accessible and requires little specialized tools and ingredients.

Like many of us, I've been a pizza fanatic for as long as I can remember eating it. In fact, for my first "job" at age 8 - distributing fliers for a pizzeria in west Baltimore - I was paid in pizza and Coke. For a poor kid who couldn't buy pizza himself, it was well-enjoyed compensation. As the years went by, several fond pizza moments have nestled themselves in my memory and have contributed to what my senses consider "ideal" pizzas. While it is a natural motivation to want to chase these idealizations of the perfect pie, I am a lover of all styles of pizza and look forward to making them all.

I haven't been in the habit of taking photos of my pies and the ones posted here aren't too clear, but in the spirit of participating, I'm posting them. They were taken two weeks ago. I made several pizzas that night. These are 18" pies - pepperoni and ham and capicola, which was requested by a coworker. Since these photos were taken, my technique has improved and knowledge broadened, which has resulted in both worse pies and better pies. Not all learning is accompanied by improvement  :).

100% All Trumps bromated high gluten flour
 62% water
.25% IDY
1.5% salt
  2% oil
  1% sugar

Mixed in a 6 quart Kitchenaid mixer, cold fermented for 24 hours. Baked in an old Baker's Pride stone shelved pizza oven at 550 degrees.

I change the percentages and procedure every time I make dough. I'm also trying longer fermentation periods when I can. I'm beginning to learn how changes affect the outcome. When I can spare the cash, I am going to purchase Encyclopizza.

I've read on this forum, from Peter possibly, that All Trumps does not respond well to reballing. I recently I tried reballing 6 hours before baking and it did not turn out well. The dough was very soft, elastic and nearly impossible to form without tearing. Perhaps I did not let it rest long enough after reballing, but this was the result I experienced after a 6 hour rest.

Adam

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/soundswim/PizzaFeb142012.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/soundswim/Pizza2Feb142012.jpg
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:37:27 AM by AdamfromPA »

parallei

Re: Pizza photos from a new guy to the forum
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:25:43 AM »
Welcome Adam.  I've no experience with AllTrumps, but someone will chime in.

Nice pies!  I took the liberty of making your links work.  There may be some restriction on putting in links until you've posted a certain number of times.  Not sure though.......

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/soundswim/PizzaFeb142012.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/soundswim/Pizza2Feb142012.jpg

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:32:09 AM by parallei »

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »
Thank you. I haven't figured out how to make the photos visible without requiring clicking on a link.

Adam

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:33:20 AM »
I thought that too few posts may be the reason.

Adam

parallei

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
Check out:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8671.0.html

for posting photo's.  You'll need to resize them to meet the 128 kb(?) limit.  You'll figure it out....

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »
Yes, time to fire up Photoshop. Thanks for the tip.

Adam

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:43:11 AM »
It was GlutenBoy who mentioned that All Trumps does not recover from reballing, not Peter. My mistake.

Adam

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:59:30 AM »
It was GlutenBoy who mentioned that All Trumps does not recover from reballing, not Peter. My mistake.

Adam

Hmmm i was able to bake a very good pie when i reballed with all trumps.  I dont remember how long b4 though.  Either 6, 12 or 24hrs.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Ev

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
Welcome Adam. Those are some beautiful looking pizzas there. Do you work in a professional kitchen of some kind? I see lots of stainless steel in your photos.
 I've had good results with AllTrumps flour in the past, cold fermented for anywhere from 2 to 7 days or more, and never felt the need to re-ball.

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
Thank you, Ev.

Yes, I cook at a Tavern 2 days a week. Pizza is not on the menu, but I have taken it upon myself to offer pizza on Tuesday nights. It's drawn quite a crowd! The only pizza that's been available around here is made with pre-fab frozen crust and is no better than what comes from the grocery store freezer. Once the word got out about "real" pizza being made where I work on Tuesdays, it became very popular very quickly.

The restaurant has two small pizza ovens but no stand mixer. I've been using a 6 quart Kitchenaid. It takes a long time to make enough dough for one night. I'd love to have access to even a 20 quart Hobart. I'd open my own shop if I had the capitol.

I try to give my dough 2 days in the cooler. I'm going to try longer periods in the near future.

All Trumps is very nice flour. It's so strong that I have had a habit of spinning my pies out to almost windowpane thickness, which is certainly pleasant to eat but I have suspicion that it's the reason that my cheese is boiling before the outer crust is browned.

Aside from the one time I tried reballing, the All Trumps dough very rarely rips, even when being stretched paper thin. The taste is also very good. It also comes in unbleached and unbromated varieties. I have only tried the bleached and bromated variety.

Adam
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:57:35 AM by AdamfromPA »

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
Ev,

I noticed that you live in Lancaster county. The All Trumps I use comes from Restaurant Depot in Manayunk. I've never been there, but that's where the owner of the restaurant where I work purchases All Trumps, among other items. Have you shopped there?

Adam

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
Adam,

Your pizzas look great. I can see why they are attracting customers, especially since they are of the classic 18" size.

Can you tell me what dough ball weights you are using for the 18" size? The dough itself is a slight variation of the classic Lehmann NY style.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
Pete-zza

I make 18"er's most of the time, a one pound dough ball is just right for me.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »
I make 18"er's most of the time, a one pound dough ball is just right for me.

Dave,

Thank you. I was curious about the thickness factor that Adam is using. In your case, it would be TF = 16/(3.14159 x 9 x 9) = 0.0629.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
Adam,

Welcome!  I also think your 18 All Trumps pizzas look delicious!  :)  :pizza:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline franko9752

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
Adam,

Welcome!  I also think your 18 All Trumps pizzas look delicious!  :)  :pizza:

Norma
+1

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
Norma and Pete - thanks for the compliments!

My dough balls typically have weighed around 20 ounces for an 18" pie. My peel is 18" and sometimes I end up tossing them a little large and have to use an unformed pizza box as a peel, which works great, by the way. I have been using the Lehmann calculator for over a month now.

I prefer 18" pies to 16". When cut into 8 slices, the size just feels right for a slice of NY style pizza. It folds nicely and there is a nice area of cheese and sauce before getting to the "bones". I haven't eaten any pizza in the city, but have had plenty of upstate NY and 'Jersey pizza, which appear quite similar to me.

Adam

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »
Thank you, Frank!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
My dough balls typically have weighed around 20 ounces for an 18" pie.

Adam,

Your thickness factor is 20/(3.14159 x 9 x 9) = 0.0786. From what our NY pizza experts tell us, that value seems to be a very good one.

Peter

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
So, thickness factor = ounces / pi r2?

pizzapan