Author Topic: Aluminium peel  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Pizzaboyo

Aluminium peel
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:48:52 AM »
Hi folks, I've recently made my own peel from a piece of aluminium and it looks and works great BUT how do I clean it?? I polished it up with a bit of steel wool when I made it and washed it down with warm soapy water,I felt this was all necessary after making it in my shed. My problem is after washing it when I dry it with paper towel it leaves the towel black(ish) I feel I need to possibly give it a good buff and polish to remove this but have no idea what to use, any ideas please? I post a pic of the peel when I get a chance 'cos I'm so proud  ;D
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Online TXCraig1

Re: Aluminium peel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:47:47 AM »
I never do any more than clean it off with a scouring sponge and a little soap and water and wipe it off with a paper towel. Most of the time I don't do that much.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
I've just found out from a friend that the aluminium is "adonised" so its back to google again to find out more.
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
Thats perfect anodized is what you want if you can get it.  The GI metals aluminum peels are all anodized.
-Jeff

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
Thats perfect anodized is what you want if you can get it.  The GI metals aluminum peels are all anodized.
But if I wet it to clean it and rub it with a white cloth it gets black, I'm afraid I will poison myself  :o

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
Sorry but the residue you are getting is aluminum oxide from bare metal and will continue to do the same. It is a different form of aluminum oxide that is created in anodizing. anodizing creates a very hard surface on the metal.
Don

I've just found out from a friend that the aluminium is "adonised" so its back to google again to find out more.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
Sorry but the residue you are getting is aluminum oxide from bare metal and will continue to do the same. It is a different form of aluminum oxide that is created in anodizing. anodizing creates a very hard surface on the metal.
Don

So he said "oxodised" not "adonised"  :-[ anything I can do with it Don?

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »
Friend, You have nothing to worry about health wise. Bakers use aluminum pans all the time for baking on, it's completely save to use your peel.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
Pizzaboyo,

I donít think you have anything to be afraid of either with using your aluminum pizza peel.  All my pizza pans do the same thing after they are scrubbed.  I can always see residue that looks like what you describe when scrubbing the cheese and grease off of the pizza pans.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »
Thanks for that folks,great news  ;D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
I stick mine in the fire if it get gunk on it, but normally, nothing.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »
Here it is folks, it doesn't look great but it's my baby  :chef:
http://i39.tinypic.com/65ml3t.jpg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:32:37 AM by Pizzaboyo »

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 06:33:37 AM »
I've tried to post the pic properly but failed,sorry  :-[

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 06:36:36 AM »
Now??

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 07:10:27 AM »
Good morning, That's much better. I use this free download for resizing for posting:  http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx
Don

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 11:56:48 AM »
Cheers Buceriasdon, I used http://tinypic.com/ but couldn't figure out the rest but got it finally  ::)