Author Topic: First attempt - Lehmann  (Read 861 times)

Offline rgreenberg2000

First attempt - Lehmann
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »
I was pretty happy with this first go with the Lehmann dough as described by Pete-zza in the sticky in this forum.  I put into practice some of the tips that y'all had in my other newbie thread, making sure not to over mix, ferment too long, etc.  I followed the dough recipe to the letter, including the un-edited amount of yeast (oops!)  No harm, no foul.  Nice thin crust from center to outer crust.  Had the right level of crispness AND chew.  Great dough flavor.

Topped with some fresh mozzarella, provolone (about 3:1 mozz:prov), and some italian sausage.  Sauce was just some diced tomatoes blended with salt, sugar, basil and garlic.

I need to work on my skills with shaping the pie.  I ended up with 15", and the outer crust was a little bigger than I like.

Whaddya think??

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: First attempt - Lehmann
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
rgreenberg2000 ,

You did a great job on your first attempt at a Lehmann dough!  ;D You must be a natural with pizza dough. Your outer crusts looks good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline franko9752

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
Really great job for your 1st try!

Offline rgreenberg2000

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 05:59:55 PM »
Thanks!! :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that this was cooked in about 10 minutes at 550 on a stone.  My ovens are DCS electric wall ovens, and they are very well insulated, so hold the heat nicely (just not enough of it for a TRUE NY pie!)  I'll be playing around with this on my Kamado ceramic grill, too.

I was pretty jazzed with this one, and the kids even more so (though they love Round Table, too, so....)  ;)

Rich

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »
Rich,

You did very well for the first try. At some point you might scale back the amount of yeast and use a two- or 3-day cold fermentation. I think that will slow down the fermentation and also allow you to have a smaller rim.

Peter

Offline rgreenberg2000

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »
Peter, thanks.  Will give that a try.

Rich

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
Peter, thanks.  Will give that a try.

Rich,

I forgot to mention it earlier, but you might also want to reduce the thickness factor. But, there is no hurry. Take it a step at a time until you become more comfortable with what you are doing. The thread you mentioned (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.0.html) was started almost eight years ago. We have all learned a lot about the NY style since that time.

Peter

Offline rgreenberg2000

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »
Peter-

Makes sense.  I knew it was an old thread, but figured I'd start at the beginning.  Anyway, I figured that you all were making tasty pies back then, too! :)

R

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
             Nice pie RG!

Offline rgreenberg2000

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
Thanks, Ev!