Author Topic: Dough management  (Read 456 times)

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
Dough management
« on: February 17, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »
Okay folks. The shop I work at has an issue with dough management. Everytime I come back the next morning trays are out of order and I get complaints that everything is under fermented. We try to maintain a two day fermentation. They like a very puffy crust but supposedly that hasn't happened since they opened.

My question is this, should I continue to number date and time each tray, sometimes the chef pulls some out to get to room temp but people still take from the cooler. I want to stick to this job but if I'm told day in day out nothing "leopards" or "there's no puffy cornicione" ima flip because I know I do my job well and properly. I also can't make dough at night cause I travel from far to get there.

Help
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline theppgcowboy

Re: Dough management
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
You do not have a dough management problem, you have an employee problem, there is only one way to cure an employee problem. 

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:45:34 PM »
You do not have a dough management problem, you have an employee problem, there is only one way to cure an employee problem.

Yes and I try to make it as simple as possible with the limited space I have. I just don't like being blamed how it's "not looking right" I turned down some awesome offers to work here cause I wanted to experience a restaurant opening for when I open my spot up and now it encourages me I should do everything on my own
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:16:09 AM »
Yes and I try to make it as simple as possible with the limited space I have. I just don't like being blamed how it's "not looking right" I turned down some awesome offers to work here cause I wanted to experience a restaurant opening for when I open my spot up and now it encourages me I should do everything on my own

This is where proper staff management techniques are critical.
The questions I would ask; Why are they pulling new dough instead of properly aged dough?
Is there another cooler where you could stage dough that is not to be used yet? Are the dates marked on the boxes in a bold way (We use dry-erase markers on the dough boxes)
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
might be the gas oven not hitting temperature?

pizzapan