Author Topic: Considering a pizza fundraiser  (Read 1091 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Considering a pizza fundraiser
« on: September 04, 2005, 01:19:32 AM »
Hi:  I'm thinking of doing a hurricane relief fundraiser at our church.  It would be my first experience making large quantities of pizza and I'm hoping to get some suggestions.  I'm thinking maybe each Friday for a month or so.

I think the first time I'd shoot for no more than 50 pies, 14 inches diameter.  Spread over 4 or 5 hours it should be achievable, no?  If successful I could ramp up the quantity in the following weeks.  The church has 3 electric ovens (500 deg. max) and I have 3 stones.  I'd make the dough the day before.

I have a handle on how much flour I'd need, the rest is a mystery.  When you make pizza at home you don't pay that close attention to, say, exactly how many pizzas' worth of sauce you made out of that 28 oz. can of peeled tomatoes.  Likewise I've never weighed the amount of cheese, sausage, pepperoni, green pepper, onion, etc. that I use.  I just go by sight and taste.

That's not much help when needing to buy quantities to serve the public.  Can anyone offer insights into how many pounds of each ingredient it would be necessary to buy without over- or under-buying? 

I figure I need:

Flour
Salt
Yeast
Olive Oil
Mozz. cheese
Sauce (6-in-1, or Bonta, or whole peeled which I puree, or ?)
Sausage
Pepperoni
Green Pepper
Onion
Mushrooms
Garlic
???

Any suggestions, comments, etc. appreciated.

Thanks!

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Considering a pizza fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 08:10:37 AM »
Guy,

I recalled that Big Dave Ostrander once did a study of toppings and amounts of toppings for different size pizzas, where the toppings were put on with a light, medium and heavy hand. I searched for the study this morning and got lucky. You should look at pages 22 and 23 of this document: http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/RightToppings.pdf. You will note that there is an error on the chart on page 23. The pepperoni amounts should be in slices, not ounces (page 22 is correct in this regard). I think we should be able to work out the numbers for your toppings, including the cheese and sauce.

As for the amount of dough you will need to make 50 14-inch pizzas, I'd be happy to help you with the calculations of the amounts of ingredients you will need if you can give me a dough recipe specified in either weights or baker's percents and, in addition, indicate what dough thickness you would like. If you don't have a specific recipe in mind, there are a few such recipes already on this site that can be scaled up or down, including the Lehmann NY style and a couple of Dave Ostrander's dough recipes (Old Faithful and New Faithful). If you have a specific recipe in mind, that will be fine for my purposes so long as the recipe has baker's percents or weights. Whatever recipe you decide to use, I would suggest keeping it simple in terms of ingredients--just the basic dough ingredients. Also, I think you should use a low-yeast recipe for dough management purposes (so that the dough balls don't rise much while under refrigeration). It would help to have dough proofing trays and a good cooler/refrigerator that can keep the dough balls at around 35-40 degrees F. I assume that you will be using the commercial mixer you recently purchased. If you can indicate its capacity, that should give us an idea of how many dough batches you will have to make.

Making 50 pizzas over a 4- or 5-hour period will be a challenge unless you have some help dressing and baking the pizzas and the chores are well organized.  I have made pizzas myself using multiple home ovens and stones and the biggest problem was heat recovery. So you will have to deftly work the three ovens and stones. You could save a lot of time par-baking the crusts but the pizzas won't be as good as the freshly-baked ones.

Peter

pizzapan