Author Topic: Hello, new member from PA searching for cheese blend knowledge  (Read 156 times)

Offline mryumyum

Hi, I'm Pat from PA (eastern) and I just joined so that I could see what I can learn about cheese blends.

A few months ago I started making pizza from scratch.  My wife made the mistake of getting dough balls and toppings for us to make our own one night at dinner... from there my interest has grown, and I suppose the goal has become to make the best pizza I possibly can. 

So I started off making the dough by forming a bowl with the flour and pouring the water, yeast, oil and salt in the middle. (I learned this technique on you-tube, pretty neat to me.)  The first pizza was made with a canned sauce I didn't like, shredded mozzarella and the dough had far too much salt in it.  I should have been a total failure, but as they say, "Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good."  From there I've tried fresh mozzarella, different sauce recipes, and several dough recipes.  At this point, I have things narrowed down to a dough that seems pretty good.  I now have a margarita type pizza, with cento san marzano's, rinsed and hand-crushed topped with fresh mozzarella and chopped basil, that I can make which is actually decent.  (I think I will try to get some "Alta Cucina" tomatoes to try with my recipe next.)

The problem is when I try to make a good, gooey type of pepperoni pizza the regular shredded mozzarella is either too thin, or if I really pile it on, it is super stringy, it doesn't seem right in texture etc. and it feels really heavy in the stomach.  So I'm trying to figure out what cheese to use for my neapolitan type cheese and pepperoni pizzas.  I've been reading about mozzarella blended with other stuff and at some point I heard that the pizza shops which make the really thick cheese on the pizza use some colby blend, is that true?  What type of cheese do the restaurants use?

Well, any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
-pat