Author Topic: What is a basic starting point for New York style sauce?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline AdamfromPA

What is a basic starting point for New York style sauce?
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:03:43 AM »
So far, I've been using Don Pepino sauce and would like to graduate to making my own sauce. I've done some searching in the forum archives, but it takes a while to find relevant information sometimes.

If there are any good threads on the subject or any other known resources, please share them.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Adam

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: What is a basic starting point for New York style sauce?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »
Adam,

I use Stanislaus products for the NY style pizzas at my small pizza stand.  If you are interested in what I use and what I add let me know. 6 -in -1ís also make a great sauce.  Steve uses 6-in-1ís most of the time for his NY style pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:40:55 AM »
Adam,
I will second starting with Scott's post. I follow a very similar sauce regiment to what Scott has outlined and it taste spot on, if not better than majority the NY pizza sauces. The only difference between our methods may be the way we treat our garlic.  I keep my garlic whole and remove it after cooking if I cook the sauce.  If I am making a fresh sauce I may only grate 1/4-1/2 of a clove of garlic per 14oz can of tomatoes and let the fresh sauce sit in the fridge for a few hours, allowing the flavors to come together. Other than that, his post is an excellent place to start.  
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:52:48 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

I purchased 6 28 oz. cans of Classico ground tomatoes from Wal Mart last week because they were mentioned on this forum, erceiving a good review. They do not contain citric acid. The tomato taste from these tomatoes is outstanding compared to other brands of canned tomatoes I've tried. They're a bit on the sweet side, which can be a little cloying when combined with other sweet ingredients. I made a pie with them and topped it with fresh mozzarella and basil. While the taste was VERY good, the sweetness kind of put a damper on the experience. With salty meats, the sweetness is not at all unbearable.

I think that I prefer fresh rather than cooked tomatoes, but I am somewhat new at this and my opinion may change. I will say that I much prefer the red look of uncooked tomatoes to the orange-ish look that I was getting with Don Pepino.

By the way, I added a small amount of finely minced fresh garlic and a little cayenne pepper to the tomatoes and let it stand for an hour or so before cooking. I am quite pleased with the flavor, but again, the sweetness is a little too much.

Norma, I admire your work and would love to glean from you anything you're willing to share. If I find myself in your neighborhood while you're making pies at market, I'd love to stop by and taste your work.

Adam

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »

Norma, I admire your work and would love to glean from you anything you're willing to share. If I find myself in your neighborhood while you're making pies at market, I'd love to stop by and taste your work.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks!  :) Anything you want to know about the sauce I use on my market pizzas is posted here on the forum if you want me to link you to those posts.  Steve that works with me also has his sauce using 6-in-1ís posted on the forum also.  I think Classico ground tomatoes would go well with either Steveís or my recipes.  I have different Classico products at market, but we didnít get around to doing taste tests on them yet, or adding other ingredients to see how that will work out. 

Anytime you get in my neighborhood, stop by.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!