Author Topic: Help equip the new guy!!  (Read 1340 times)

Offline gorp512

Help equip the new guy!!
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
Hi All,

I am looking to get a pizza stone and a pizza peel for my beginning endeavors in pizza making.  My oven can only get so hot and I understand recovery times on stones can vary.  Looking for the best possible stone (or even quarry tiles) that I could maintain a good temp for multiple pies. I know I will develop a personal tastes as I go along with this, but wanted a good baseline to start with.  Round vs Square, light vs dark; all those factors being taken into account, what should I be looking for to cook in my gas oven. Also, I plan to cook pies at my gf's house, but she doesn't have an in oven broiler which I see being a trick used by some people to amp up the temp. A good stone, a solid peel, and a reliable slicer as what I am looking for now.  Thanks so much for all your help!!

scott123

Re: Help equip the new guy!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »
Gorp, tell me about your oven. What's the peak temp on the dial? Is the broiler in the main compartment or separate?

Offline gorp512

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
Hi Scott,

I will be mostly working with two ovens. Both max out at about 550, one has an in oven broiler, the other does not. 

scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »
Sorry, Gorp, I missed the part about the GF's oven lacking a broiler.

Basically if you have a two burner oven (top broiler, bottom bake), you take one route when it comes to baking stones and if you have a single burner (bottom only), you take an opposite direction. What works in one setting will fail miserably in the other.

The broilerless setup requires an oven within an oven scenario.  A quarry tile 'ceiling' on one shelf, with foil blocking any openings where air might get through along with a poorly conductive stone for the hearth- quarry tiles or fibrament. With the top of the oven isolated, the oven probe will be removed from the picture and the peak temp will get quite a lot hotter than the dial.  This method requires careful monitory as the lower compartment can get quite hot and it requires an IR thermometer to monitor temperatures.

And, bear in mind, this is all to achieve a 4 minute NY style pie, not Neapolitan.  You'll never get a Neapolitan bake time in a home oven without a broiler.

Even with a broiler, Neapolitan is highly unlikely. Gas broilers tend to not put out enough BTUs for top browning in 90 seconds and only a very small number of electric broilers have the necessary wattage/coils/passes to do Neapolitan as well.

Since you have a gas oven, I'd give up hope of producing a Neapolitan and settle for a 4 minute NY pie. Once you got that route, it gets SO much easier.  1/2" steel plate positioned on the top shelf (or the shelf below) will do the trick nicely.  Get a square piece that fills the entire shelf- from the back wall to almost touching the door, with room on the sides for air flow. This will give a you a big target for launching and will allow you larger pizzas- for NY, bigger is better.

Offline gorp512

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »
Any recs for a stone? I am looking at the Emile Henry stone because of the glaze is supposed to be easy to clean. for the price it looks worth it. Any thoughts?

Offline spies

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
I have one of those stones. It works good for my purposes but it's a little thin I think about 1/4". So you would have tO reheat the stone if you're making more than one pie.

scott123

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »
Gorp, I'm recommending two stones, one for the broilerless oven and one for the oven with a broiler.

For the broilerless oven, you'll need quarry tiles- enough for a ceiling and a hearth.

For the oven with a broiler, 1/2" hot rolled steel plate is the only way to go. Retail baking stones lack the thermal mass and conductivity to give you fast bakes- and believe me, you want fast bakes, especially if you like Neapolitan pizza.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »
Scott, would this set up with the steel plate be used with an oven that has the bottom shelf compartment broiler?  Where does one find a sheet like this?

Offline spies

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »
That is also something I'm interested in. My broiler is the bottom drawer kind and I have been wondering the best way to cook in my oven. Build a "shelf" with quarry tiles and foil or use the bottom broiler?

scott123

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »
That is also something I'm interested in. My broiler is the bottom drawer kind and I have been wondering the best way to cook in my oven. Build a "shelf" with quarry tiles and foil or use the bottom broiler?

Shaun, for the lower temps required by Chicago style, I think you can just bake the pizza in the main compartment. For NY style, though- well, for great NY style, then your oven, is, by far, the hardest to configure.

If great NY style is your goal, here's how I'd approach it:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18532.0.html

Offline spies

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »
Thanks Scott. I don't have a problem with Chicago pies I'm trying to make Neapolitan or new York style. That thread was very helpful I think I'll go to home depot next week and pick up some quarry tiles.

pizzapan