Author Topic: New Oven test with a NY pie  (Read 350 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
New Oven test with a NY pie
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »
As some of you know, I just got a new stove. It's bigger than my last, and I think it will take a 18" stone or steel. I decided to do a pizza test, so I did a NY style. I did a 24 hour rise in the fridge. It was a 60% hydration dough, with a TF of .097. I cooked the pie on the middle rack at 550 degrees. I tried Garvey's tip about barely baking the sausage and then crumbling it over the pie. It worked really well.

The pie turned out pretty good. It was really crispy, too crispy for a new NY pie. It's texture was more like a Imo's pie. So I went back and checked my ingredients list. I realized I forgot to add oil to the dough. Would that be the reason the pie was crisp with little or new chew? It was a good pie, but was not close to last NY style pies I have made in the past.
  As for the stove, It seems to cook as well or better than the old one. I need to get  infrared thermometer to see what the oven is really putting out.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:27:25 PM by nick57 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: New Oven test with a NY pie
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
Final pic

Offline gfgman

Re: New Oven test with a NY pie
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
That's a good looking pie.  I can't say whether every commercial pie I've had in the past had oil in the dough.  I would guess that when I get a slice that folds really easy without cracking, it has oil in the dough.  Personally, for my home pies, I don't use oil, except for rubbing a little veggie oil on the outside of the dough ball.  I did a taste test some years ago using my flour combination and various formulations.  Some with oil and some without.  Ultimately I decided that I definitely didn't like the ones that had oil.  I've tried oil a few times since then, and still didn't like any of those pies.  I'll use a combination of oil and butter for garlic knots or breadsticks, but I haven't produced a pie with oil that worked for me.