Author Topic: Let's Talk About Gas Grills...  (Read 6800 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Let's Talk About Gas Grills...
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »
The price is ridiculous, but you should be looking to recreate something along the lines of this:

http://www.2stonepg.com/2stone-pizza-gril.html

I've seen a few people build walls with firebrick splits, but the firebrick absorbs too much heat and wastes fuel. The walls really don't need thermal mass, you just need something that will support the ceiling.  I'm thinking a long strip of aluminum flashing should do trick- maybe 4" wide and arranged into a semicircle to act as a support for the ceiling. The opening in the flashing should be just big enough to launch a pizza.  Aluminum flashing is inexpensive, and easy to cut with tin snips, so you can cut it to any dimension and make the most use of your grill real estate. It's melting point is around 1100 f, which I don't think you'll hit in a gas grill setting.

Offline petef

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 03:52:01 AM »
The price is ridiculous, but you should be looking to recreate something along the lines of this:

Ok, that makes good sense to me (pic below) because my upsidedown pan/cover idea comes pretty close to duplicating what we see in this pic if my pan is larger than the pizza stone. I imagine the top stone serves to capture and intensify the heat in order to bake the top side more efectively. So that would be an improvement over my upsidedown pan/cover idea. Anyway, I like the concept (pic below) and can probably build my own version for less than $25 using unglazed quarry tiles and some scrap metal I have in my workshop.

Now I'm even more motivated to buy the Weber Genesis grill because it has a lot more grill area to work with than my current grill.

Thanks for the info and ideas!

---pete---

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:06:35 AM by petef »

Offline petef

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 04:26:08 AM »
On the topic of adding SMOKE to a gas grill I found this video informative.
It's about using a low profile smoke box and wood chips placed directly onto the flavor bars of the gas grill.

How to set up a smoker box on a gas grill
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droqmzBbBsE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droqmzBbBsE</a>

---pete---

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 09:40:16 AM »

Scotty, dont forget the sides need to be covered.  This points all that additional heat up to the pizza stone.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 09:42:14 AM »
What if you put a charcoal on top of that diamondplate like you would a dutch oven you are baking in?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Something like this. It might get you a bunch of extra top heat which is going to be the biggest challenge to overcome.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »
Scotty, dont forget the sides need to be covered.  This points all that additional heat up to the pizza stone.

Covering the sides certainly helps, but Pete won't need that for an 8 minute pizza.

Offline scott123

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »
What if you put a charcoal on top of that diamondplate like you would a dutch oven you are baking in?

This has been done a few times with lackluster results.  My memory is a little hazy, but I think Chau and Norma have tried this technique, among others. It just doesn't seem to generate the kind of intense top heat that you think it will. At least, not for fast bakes.  Charcoal would most like be very effective for 8 minute bakes. Once one pushes the bake time to that extent, the sky is pretty much the limit when it comes to the number of approaches that are effective.

pizzapan